Author Topic: Tesla Cybertruck  (Read 14472 times)

Offline schmitt triggerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Tesla Cybertruck
« on: December 02, 2023, 05:09:16 pm »
A little bit long video but worthwhile to watch it complete.
I never knew before how revolutionary the Cybertruck’s engineering was. A true game changer.
And I believe that it illustrates how come the stumbling attempts at electrification from the established automakers have not been successful.

https://youtu.be/L6WDq0V5oBg?si=mNWUvEV9UpD0pKS-

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: Tesla Cybertruck
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 05:24:14 pm »
It also has revolutionary results when hitting pedestrians or other vehicles, those sharp stainless steel edges will do marvels.
Can't even figure out how they got it approved.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Online BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 05:25:18 pm »
Gamechanging what aspects exactly?

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 05:30:36 pm »
What is so special about it? Not got enough signal to watch a YT vid where I am at the moment.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 06:59:52 pm »
I'm most surprised they got permission to do stear by wire, so there is no reason it couldn't be made RHD with only a little effort
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 09:44:39 pm »
The driver can't see where the car ends in front, and does not have a rear window as soon as he closes the tonneau cover over the entire back. Oh, and he can't see through the upper right quadrant of the windshield when it rains, because the wiper doesn't go there. Revolutionary...

And because it is not enough to have to rely on front and rear cameras for visibility, you can remove the side mirrors too for coolness. And to make really sure it looks smart, the car does not have door handles either. Good luck to the firefighters who want to force the doors open and pull you out after a crash!

The whole design seems as impractical as it did at first glance. Drawn by an 8-year old or by a comic book writer -- or maybe by Elon himself, who seems a good fit for both roles.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 10:01:57 pm »
The driver can't see where the car ends in front, and does not have a rear window as soon as he closes the tonneau cover over the entire back. Oh, and he can't see through the upper right quadrant of the windshield when it rains, because the wiper doesn't go there. Revolutionary...

And because it is not enough to have to rely on front and rear cameras for visibility, you can remove the side mirrors too for coolness. And to make really sure it looks smart, the car does not have door handles either. Good luck to the firefighters who want to force the doors open and pull you out after a crash!

The whole design seems as impractical as it did at first glance. Drawn by an 8-year old or by a comic book writer -- or maybe by Elon himself, who seems a good fit for both roles.

The following users thanked this post: daqq, ebastler, Gyro, Buriedcode, Dan123456

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 10:23:55 pm »
Did Elon ever heard of crumble zone? (Or whatever it's called)
Modern cars intentionally crush badly to reduce the G forces... But look how harsh a crash is!
It starts crushing nicely... but then hits the rock-hard, rigid chasis and the occupants go ballistic, the vehicle even bounces back and hits them harder.
Sharp corners, strong chassis... Else from electronics, this car technology is like 1970!
Also, I suspect all those test where made without the full weight of the batteries? Go figure!

You'll come out as tomato sauce!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:31:49 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 10:39:06 pm »
It's just an extension of Musk's personality. Smash everyone else out of the way using armour, sharp edges and no consideration for others.
Very fitting.

The following users thanked this post: fmashockie

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 10:46:13 pm »
Welcome to the world of oversized pickup trucks and SUV where driver cannot see shit right in front of them. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/americas-cars-trucks-are-getting-bigger-are-front-blind-zones-children-rcna52109 Cybertruck actually is not that bad in this regard and also has a rear and front cameras. EDIT: misunderstood what you mean, yes you cannot see where its front ends but it also reduces blind zone on the front.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:52:56 pm by wraper »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 11:04:47 pm »
Hey, looks like tesla can build cars without panel gaps! All it takes for it to be the prototype car that journalists are reviewing.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 11:07:29 pm »
Modern cars intentionally crush badly to reduce the G forces... But look how harsh a crash is! It starts crushing nicely... but then hits the rock-hard, rigid chasis and the occupants go ballistic, the vehicle even bounces back and hits them harder.
Cabin must keep its shape.
Sharp corners, strong chassis... Else from electronics, this car technology is like 1970!
It's like nothing else in body construction and mechanical part of things. Utterly nonsensical argument.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:09:16 pm by wraper »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 11:13:06 pm »
Elon bad. Did I sum it up correctly?

The following users thanked this post: wraper, Siwastaja

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2023, 11:15:33 pm »
You're both real boring, sometimes I wonder if you're trolls.
Cabin blah blah blah... *Car must be safe!!*. Compared to other cars, you won't survive a crash in that.
There's almost no crushing zone, you get a real hard stop, really fast.
You've been served facts, you answer like woketards. Ohh Elon bad?
We'll I don't know him personally, but that truck looks like a really expensive coffin and a meat grinder for anyone getting too close.
So this product he made is BAD.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:21:22 pm by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: Ground_Loop

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 11:21:37 pm »
It also has revolutionary results when hitting pedestrians or other vehicles, those sharp stainless steel edges will do marvels.
Can't even figure out how they got it approved.

There's a reason it ain't being released in Europe.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 11:22:53 pm »
Yeah that's due stainless steel springiness, makes it complicated to get pressed into the desired shape, it always bounces back a little bit.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 11:24:59 pm »
Modern cars intentionally crush badly to reduce the G forces... But look how harsh a crash is!

You mean like this?

The Cybertruck looks more like this result (FF to 0:46)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:29:50 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 11:27:38 pm »
That comparation makes no sense.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 11:36:17 pm »
That comparation makes no sense.

No?  The first shows a vehicle doing a lot of crumpling and absorbing a lot of energy so that there is almost no rebound.  The second one of the XC90 shows a lot less crumpling and a lot of rebound, just like the Cybertruck.  One of the two vehicles has an exemplary safety record and excellent crash test ratings--guess which one?  If you think the Ford comparison is unfair or irrelevant, just ignore it--I know it's a different test, I was just looking for an example of too much crumpling being obviously counterproductive.  Tell me what differences you see between the general crash appearance of the Tesla and the Volvo.

Here's a video of a full-frontal crash demonstrating 'too much' crumple zone.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:39:15 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2023, 11:38:45 pm »
Could you elaborate on that?

It's matter of fact that 2000s cars performed awfully.
Also, full frontal crash is the least of the problems, it's the partial collision what makes things really messy (Usual deadly crash when you step into the opposite lane), concentrating all the force in a small area.
(Which is happening to that 2001 truck, not in the Volvo, so not a fair comparison).
European test does exactly that:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 12:34:41 am by DavidAlfa »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2023, 11:47:36 pm »
The problem is that you can not say anything sensible based on the video footage. You need to have the data for the impact on the crash-test dummies.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 12:10:23 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2023, 11:56:56 pm »
Tesla is too hard everywhere. Easy, ain't it?

First, I'm just not seeing that.  Second, with modern restraint and airbag technology, making the cabin stronger and preventing intrusion is more important then crumpling.  I don't see a clear problem with how the Tesla is performing in the video and I was pointing out that it is reasonably similar to the Volvo.  We also don't know the speed and exact barrier type, it's just a video.  Perhaps it will crumple more at higher speeds, just like the Volvo will.  I've seen them virtually crushed back to the firewall without bending up the passenger compartment much.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2023, 12:00:49 am »
Also so much tech... and no curtain airbags whatsoever?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2023, 12:07:05 am »
Also so much tech... and no curtain airbags whatsoever?
FFS, haven't you heard about airbags deploying as needed? Also pause the very same video you posted at 0:12-0:18.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 12:09:16 am by wraper »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2023, 12:12:36 am »
The problem is that you can say anything sensible based on the video footage. You need to have the data for the impact on the crash-test dummies.

That sounds reasonable, everyone likes data, right?  But lack of cabin deformation and intrusion is the real key (as proven in real life) and you can see that on a video pretty clearly.  Not all crashes will be the same and the dummy might be lucky or unlucky in a particular test, just like sometimes you see someone emerging unscathed from a crash where the car is ripped to pieces.  But statistically, you don't want cars that look like this in crashes:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g35863519/watch-these-12-vehicles-score-poor-ratings-during-iihs-crash-testing/

I'm not a fan of Elon, Tesla or the Cybertruck but I wouldn't say that it is likely to be unsafe (in a crash, we'll see about that 4-wheel steer-by-wire system) or that it isn't an impressive design.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 12:22:36 am by bdunham7 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf