Author Topic: Notebook with external graphics card - opinions, experiences?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Notebook with external graphics card - opinions, experiences?
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:02:29 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a new PC - preferably a notebook - when working/gaming/doing similar stuff I'm mostly at my desk anyway, when I'm relaxing I'd like to lay on the couch like the fat lazy guy that I am.

I'm looking into external graphics cards, because I enjoy gaming and a good GPU is advantageous for CAD/CAE applications. I currently have a Dell XPS 17 with an onboard NVIDIA GPU and I've been happy with it, but the notebook is a weighty beast with no room to upgrade the card, etc. Basically there are limitations to what you can stuff in a notebook. Also, the notebook was pretty pricey and the age is beginning to show.

So, I'm looking into an external graphics card as a means to get the best of both worlds with a few tradeofs. I'm hoping that it would work like a plug and play device - basically I'd just dock my computer onto my desk and I can enjoy the improved graphics.

Do you have any experiences/opinions/warnings/praise for this kind of setup?

The rest of the system will be pretty powerful (in notebook terms), lots of RAM and a good CPU.

Thanks,

David
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Notebook with external graphics card - opinions, experiences?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 07:05:16 pm »
I have done a DIY version. The main disadvantage is on the software side, since the eGPU uses a separate X server. I have a few scripts to make it usable, but I would probably have to actually use it regularly to refine them to be "production" quality. (For now, I only use it the rare times when I travel.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 11:19:37 pm »
How about USB to DVI adapters? I use two of them at 1920 x 1200. There are a bunch of different ones out there:

https://www.startech.com/AV/USB-Video-Adapters/USB-to-DVI-Multi-Monitor-Adapter~USB2DVIE3

It's good enough for Altium, PDF, etc. even with zooming, panning, and such.

I don't do 3D real-time games, and generally they aren't recommended for that kind of thing. It would get choppy and laggy. Otherwise it's almost the same response as the built-in screen.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:42:07 pm »
I just got a alienware 17r4 and it has a option to get a "alienware graphics amplifier" now, granted I will prolly never need such, as this has a nvidia 1070 in it. but the option is there.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 12:22:27 am »
Integrated graphics is getting better and better as time goes on. nVidia even dropped the m on all of their mobile products as they say the difference is so small, it doesn't matter.

While external graphics are nice for upgradability, upgrading and laptops are normally mutually exclusive. There are exceptions, there are graphics cards you can sometimes swap out, but it remains pretty much the same, they are not meant for that.

To be honest, though, grabbing a notebook with a 1060, 1070, or 1080 should last you at least ten years on CAD, and I am surprised that your current device isn't good enough for that.

Heck, even though my experience on CAD is minimal, I would have no problems using modern CAD software on an FX-55 with a GTX 7800.

Just some thoughts.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:45:48 am »
 The gaming performance on the new Surface Book 2 which has a (on certain models) a discrete GPU in the keyboard section (CPU is in the display part so it can be used like a (large) tablet) is pretty amazing. The top model has a GTX 1060 with 6GB of memory! Of course, it doesn't come cheap.

Offline daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 07:13:39 am »
Thank you for the opinions so far guys.
To be honest, though, grabbing a notebook with a 1060, 1070, or 1080 should last you at least ten years on CAD, and I am surprised that your current device isn't good enough for that.
It's good enough for CAD/CAE - I've got no problems there - I'm not exactly designing the new Tesla :-) . The problem arises when I want to play something like Fallout 4 (however disappointing that was) or some other fresh game. I've been also poking and prodding NVIDIA CUDA and that's fun as well :-)

How about USB to DVI adapters? I use two of them at 1920 x 1200. There are a bunch of different ones out there:
Nah, the point here is not another screen, but rather graphics acceleration.

I have done a DIY version. The main disadvantage is on the software side, since the eGPU uses a separate X server. I have a few scripts to make it usable, but I would probably have to actually use it regularly to refine them to be "production" quality. (For now, I only use it the rare times when I travel.)
Nice build :-) As to the software part, I'm a windows user, so I'm not sure how that would work.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:34:24 am »
So, I'm looking into an external graphics card as a means to get the best of both worlds with a few tradeofs. I'm hoping that it would work like a plug and play device - basically I'd just dock my computer onto my desk and I can enjoy the improved graphics.

Do you have any experiences/opinions/warnings/praise for this kind of setup?
This is still an emerging market and despite promises for years that its just around the corner there aren't mass market (or mass supported) external GPU options yet, Alienware support it directly, Apple have a developer preview but no consumer option, and then you have the DIY:
https://www.windowscentral.com/razer-core-dell-xps-15-guide
Integrated graphics is getting better and better as time goes on. nVidia even dropped the m on all of their mobile products as they say the difference is so small, it doesn't matter.
That and with integrated graphics switching even available on low end laptops you can have a beefy GPU and not lose on battery life as much as in the past. Unless you need a LOT of compute horsepower and a multiple GPU setup  its a lot easier to just buy a higher end laptop, they typically support 3-4 monitors these days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf