General > General Technical Chat

Tesla model Y 4680 battery pack not very serviceable!

(1/15) > >>

MT:
part2

part1

cpuerror:
Its 2022. You can only subscribe to things and the few things you can own are designed to self destruct after a period of time.

tom66:
Poor design.  Such an essential component that will eventually wear out should be serviceable, even if it increases weight and cost.  I'd also like to see EV manufacturers forced to offer a 15 year warranty on their batteries with 70% capacity remaining.

nctnico:

--- Quote from: tom66 on August 13, 2022, 05:56:07 pm ---Poor design.  Such an essential component that will eventually wear out should be serviceable, even if it increases weight and cost.  I'd also like to see EV manufacturers forced to offer a 15 year warranty on their batteries with 70% capacity remaining.

--- End quote ---
This is a pretty big fail from Tesla... AFAIK most (in not all) other BEV manufacturers do have battery packs that consist of serviceable cells / sub-modules that make a battery economically repairable and thus make a BEV retain its value better. But then again: Tesla is the Apple of cars; serviceability doesn't matter to their customers.

SiliconWizard:
Well, uh... interesting point.

Maybe other manufacturers have more "serviceable" battery packs - although I personally have no proof of that.
But are any of those batteries actually serviced in reality? Has it ever happened? Has it not just because it's too early for any of them to have failed yet? And in this latter case, how do we actually know for sure manufacturers will service them instead of just binning them and having them recycled?

Yeah, just a thought. I have some doubts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version