Author Topic: The Death of Analog  (Read 36572 times)

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: The Death of Analog
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 11:33:12 pm »
That is assuming the universe isn't the product of a computer simulation. Wasn't there an experiment some physicists were attempting to conduct recently where they would measure the "quantisation" of the universe? Wonder what the conclusion was...

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 11:38:42 pm »
That is assuming the universe isn't the product of a computer simulation.

Yea I read that somewhere.

But, getting into that would really be going off-topic.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline JozefTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 12:37:07 am »
Until we have an analog microprocessor, analog is almost non existence except for power supply and sensor circuits. Other than this all is getting replaced by digital.

I'm not arguing the physical world or the nature of electric signal, it's analog. Again I'm talking about technology or mechanism.

Analog meters? Ok they can be precise and no aliasing or precision problems but are we humans can sense such accuracy and details? we need a readable interface, which is the digital screen. Otherwise that analog whatever meter is giving you nothing but approximation, at least for the human eyes.

Death to OpAmps.  >:D

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 01:13:52 am »

But electricity is quantized by nature because smallest non-divisible unit of electricity is charge of an electron/proton, about 1.6e-19 C. So there is no perfectly analog signal as such :)
..but the physical position of those electrons in space, or within the atoms of a conductor is analogue, so regarding particles as any kind of digital entity is completely meaningless.
And that's even before we get Mr. Heseinberg involved....
Hey mike...
I was reading up on various types of noise the other day and what you are saying seems to be at odds with what I read which goes something like this
Electrons live in energy bands. It may be in orbit around an atom in the valence band and for it to jump into the conduction band it has to absorb energy. Apparently it has to absorb a heap of energy in one go to jump through the "void" between the valence band and the conduction band.

I know nothing about the math but it seems that the energy required for the electron to exist in the "void" is a "complex" quantity, therefore it can't happen. This is why we have shot noise and for the same reason but due to different phenomena, flicker noise. The absorption and radiation of energy as electrons jump between energy bands

duskglow

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 01:32:56 am »
This has to be the greatest troll thread I've seen all week.  Started with "Analog's going to die", someone else adds in the "intelligent designer" troll...   I'm in tears at the sheer skill involved.  A bit transparent, though. :)

:-DD  :box:

I think this is one of those arguments, though, that won't actually ever get won one way or another.  Actually, both are.  So I'll just watch from the sidelines and see when it finally dies down. :)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 01:49:14 am »
This has to be the greatest troll thread I've seen all week.  Started with "Analog's going to die", someone else adds in the "intelligent designer" troll...   I'm in tears at the sheer skill involved.  A bit transparent, though. :)

Shoot this is nothing.

Wait till you see my new thread "The death of electronics"  ;D
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline nuhamind2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 02:06:48 am »
Every digital electronic contain analog behaviour

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 02:09:40 am »

Shoot this is nothing.

Wait till you see my new thread "The death of electronics"  ;D

Hoorah for spintronics?
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline JozefTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 04:31:34 am »
Even when electronics is replaced by photonics, things will be digital.

Offline lemmegraphdat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 06:24:31 am »
Existence is analog or so it seems. My perception is probably digital because I can't know everything. So what is my sample rate?
Start right now.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 06:37:05 am »
Remember those energy bands are just a probability mechanism, the energy is somewhere in there if averaged over millions of atoms, but when there is one atom it is hard to measure, and when you have a hundred it is even harder to measure. Dr Heisenberg always wins.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 07:25:25 am »
I can confidently say analog electronics will disappear and become an ancient useless technology that has no single application, exactly like the dirty vacuum tubes.

Looks like a troll post to me, but I'll bite.

As long there is a "human factor", analog is and will be staying with us until the computer/robot roams the earth like the sci-fi e.g: Terminator or Matrix and etc.

Here, let me pick just a simple topic regarding human interface, out of many tons of facts out there like for human visions, skin/touch, smell, brain interface  8) and etc ..., one of the fact that analog still has long journey :

1. Sound reproduction for human's ears, until today there is no speaker can reproduce the sound "exactly" identical like the singer/band is performing in front of you. The analog development for this technology is still faaaaar... from perfect even though it has been for very long time since ... "Mr Watson—Come here—I want to see you".  :-DD

<just fill out the rest of this list your self>

2. ...
3. ...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:29:58 am by BravoV »

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 09:39:08 am »
This looks like a case of. Analogue is dead long live analogue.https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley_laughing.gif

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 09:47:21 am »
This looks like a case of. Analogue is dead long live analogue.https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley_laughing.gif

Dude, why your smileys always broken ?  :-DD  :palm:  >:D

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 09:50:31 am »

I thought that was just how they rendered for me when I read my own posts every one's else's are OK must be my browser i use chrome or could that be due to anti virus (Norton)https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/bangheadonwall.gif

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 10:18:35 am »

Probably using an analog browser  ;D

either way analog may be dying but analogue electronics will live for ever

Offline komet

• Supporter
  • Shenzhen Retroencabulator Mfg. Co.
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 11:19:32 am »
I'm willing to take bets that before I die, someone will 'split the electron' just as Rutherford 'split the atom' last century and we'll have a whole NEW bunch of math to comprehend.

I'll take that bet. $1000?

Telequipment

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 11:30:12 am »
I could be in trouble here, this is a picture of a noise source I just built Ineed for a  simple spectrum analyser, which connects to the PC ideal for seeing the plot of filters, it's analogue should I stop before I'm arrested  |O

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 11:31:30 am »
Over 2 pages and no one has mentioned Bob Widlar? :D

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:29 am »
I could be in trouble here, this is a picture of a noise source I just built Ineed for a  simple spectrum analyser, which connects to the PC ideal for seeing the plot of filters, it's analogue should I stop before I'm arrested  |O
If you want a true noise source, see if you can channel this thread into your SA

vlf3

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2013, 11:43:33 am »
By: xrunner...
Wait till you see my new thread "The death of electronics" 

Then were screwed !  :scared:

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2013, 11:54:17 am »
I don't know if this thread was meant to be taken seriously, but I'll stick my oar in anyway.

Digital has taken over a lot of functions that used to be analogue but as others have pointed out you probably need to interface to an analogue world at some stage.
Also, digital technology can only operate so fast, for instance a digital filter is a wonderful thing but it would be a bit mad to try and filter a microwave signal with one.
On the audio front, good error correcting codes and encoding of signals might allow the capturing of great sounds, but the final audio amplifier is still likely to be analogue
(I'm a bit more hazy on this as there are digital speakers around).

Personally I can see that for function generators (for example) it is great to have the phase accuracy of DDS and digital calibration but I feel nostalgic for analogue systems
which probably required pots to be trimmed. But even here, the output amplifier is not digital - the DAC can only drive about 20mA into 50 ohms.

As digital systems get faster, the transmission about the chip itself and between chips requires more rather than less analogue understanding, so some engineers

Things come and go. When I was a teenager and first got into electronics it was all discrete components and a lot of fun. I then began working in electronics and it all
seemed to come down to VLSI chips and a lot of the fun went away. But now electronics as a hobby seems to be making a resurgence.
at least will need to keep studying the subject.

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2013, 01:24:13 pm »
as digital system become faster they get closer to modeling analog ones, but the goal is to not have any loss in the conversion process.

“ When we observe natural phenomena and endow them with computational
significance, it is not the algorithm we are observing but the process. [But in the
1940’s it was] digital technology and theory that was to become the main
paradigm of computation…[processing] information transformed and coded in
binary. With analog machines, on the contrary, there would be few or no steps
between natural objects and the work and structure of computation.”

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.91.5296&rep=rep1&type=pdf

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jwmills/ANALOG.NOTEBOOK/klm/klm.html

Next time you fire up your computer and it can carry on a natural conversation with you......then you can begin to debate if analog is no longer necessary.

jucole

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2013, 01:26:35 pm »
With the advances in digital electronics and all the tiny devices and applications that all are digital, I can confidently say analog electronics will disappear and become an ancient useless technology that has no single application, exactly like the dirty vacuum tubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_to_Analog  O0

Is this for real?

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2013, 01:38:34 pm »
So how do you get your sensed low-level quantity into your DAC without any analogue circuitry? Got any idea low ADSL transmission works? Ever seen a "digital" power supply?.........etc...etc......

Pretty daft opening for a thread.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf