Author Topic: The disruption of disruptive technology (Uber)  (Read 7133 times)

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: The disruption of disruptive technology (Uber)
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2018, 10:15:58 pm »
Funny thing about safety nets.  Just like minimum wages they continually have to improve.  Way back at the start of the twentieth century a good safety net meant people could eat (and maybe sleep out of the weather).  By the end of the twentieth century a good safety net meant personal housing, food, clothing, and medical care and was starting to include things like phone service, entertainment (for mental health) and so on.

It is kind of like alimony in US divorce law.  The ability to maintain the lifestyle one is accustomed to.

Offline Seph.b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2018, 10:32:06 pm »
Funny thing about safety nets.  Just like minimum wages they continually have to improve.  Way back at the start of the twentieth century a good safety net meant people could eat (and maybe sleep out of the weather).  By the end of the twentieth century a good safety net meant personal housing, food, clothing, and medical care and was starting to include things like phone service, entertainment (for mental health) and so on.

It is kind of like alimony in US divorce law.  The ability to maintain the lifestyle one is accustomed to.

Those are the some of the reasons I said I don't know what it looked like.

With every disruption and advancement in automation less people are required to do all of the jobs required by a functioning society. Of course new job and industries are created, but the pace is/will not keep up. Those new jobs are also not always very evenly distributed. Eventually we are asking for civil unrest as more and more people fall through the cracks.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2018, 02:58:02 am »
 The thing is, once you put Uber's more adventurous ideas like autonomous cars & "air cars" to one side,
the only technological change involved in their existing "pretend taxi" service is an "App".
Hell, High School kids write Apps!
It's not even unique, conventional taxi services can, & do, use a similar booking method.

The main thrust of their concept is to ignore the existing regulated environment. & just go with an unregulated service.
This is just an extreme extension of the ideology which has been the "received wisdom" for the last 30 years.

Back in the 1960s, there was a lot of commotion in the UK about the advent of "Minicabs", which operated on a similar business model.
Obviously no App, but everything else was eerily similar.

They were still around in 1971 when I was there, but the conventional taxis were still doing well.
I don't know how, but eventually they became part of the " establishment", along with all the other transport services.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/8369024/50-years-of-minicabs.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:18:46 am by vk6zgo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf