Author Topic: The end of a TV repair shop.  (Read 15411 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The end of a TV repair shop.
« on: August 12, 2016, 07:48:26 pm »
From shango066 on YouTube.

I like the bottles of booze on the shelf.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:50:47 pm by Homer J Simpson »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, LA7SJA

Offline aandrew

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The end of a TV repair shop.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 09:25:00 pm »
That was a nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Although I have to argue with Harvey's assertion that panel TVs are built for only a few years (or 1 year for newest ones) of service. I've got a 10yo plasma that works fine and a 6yo LCD in the same boat. My monitors (which are pretty much just TVs without the sound) are all between 2 and 8 years old.

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 10:04:51 pm »
I tell my customers that a new tv - LED, LCD, Plasma, whatever, is living on borrowed time after about five to eight years.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:05:07 am »
Meh.  If it doesn't get hit by lightning and it doesn't contain poor-quality electrolytic caps, there's really no reason a modern LED-backlit LCD TV shouldn't last 20 years just like the old-school Zeniths did.  You still get what you pay for, at least to some extent, and in today's consumer market even the cheapest among us is still getting good value for the most part.   

Whining that customers won't pay you $200 to repair something they can replace for $100 may be cathartic, but it obviously won't pay the bills.  Ultimately it's the repair shop's responsibility to keep an eye on market trends and retarget the business accordingly.  I still remember the first time I ever saw a $29 DVD player next to a $100 flatscreen TV... it was like a bucket of cold water in the face. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:06:39 am by KE5FX »

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:31:07 am »
I am sure there are places in the world where it is still financially feasible to have a TV repaired.

Where import taxes and importer greed and there may be strife - and work is cheap it may still be feasible.

In some places around the world 40 year old cars are all over the place. In Israel, the quality of the work of the importers technicians means that you are lucky if the car lasts 20 years.

That said the shift from analog to DTV meant that at once all the old TV were no longer worth repairing.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 08:29:55 am »
Our Samsung TV is three years old and I've already repaired it once, a badly soldered HDMI socket. There is still a place for TV repair but PROFITABLE TV repair is another matter, my time is cheap.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 08:57:03 am »
Well, in the past I have worked in a couple of repair shops myself. I can agree with the fact that many components are mediocre quality. It is getting better. Mostly it is just bad design (saved every penny on cheap components, mostly caps and transformers) or bad soldering.

The whole problem is that electronics nowadays are simply to cheap compared to labour costs.
You can buy a pretty decent TV for 300-500 bucks.
Workers cost a company somewhere around $60-100 per hour, so if you spend more than 4-6 hours on a tellie it's already useless.
That's including administration work and pickup.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:21:42 am »
It's easy to be biased, but if I looked at my own devices and my surroundings the repair shop wouldn't be dying down becasue the life of the devices becomes shorter but rather the opposite, them being reliable enough not to require repair until the next thing comes out.

Yes you used to be able to keep a TV for 20-30 years (my parents had a 35 year old CRT until recently), the reason you don't anymore is not that new ones fail, it's because now new standards and features come out regularly.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 03:14:37 pm »
IMHO price is an issue. Back in the old days TVs where terribly expensive items but nowadays you could buy a new one every year and still go on a holiday.
I recall paying 1200 euro (in today's money) for a 14" CRT monitor around 1994. Nowadays you can buy a full-HD (1920x1080) monitor for 120 euro from a decent brand like LG. That is 10 times less in about 20 years! And yes, the 14" CRT monitor ended up in the dumpster long before it was end-of-life.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »
IMHO price is an issue. Back in the old days TVs where terribly expensive items but nowadays you could buy a new one every year and still go on a holiday.
I recall paying 1200 euro (in today's money) for a 14" CRT monitor around 1994. Nowadays you can buy a full-HD (1920x1080) monitor for 120 euro from a decent brand like LG. That is 10 times less in about 20 years! And yes, the 14" CRT monitor ended up in the dumpster long before it was end-of-life.

Yikes, I don't remember what I spent on a Commodore 1950 multi-mode monitor (for the glorious Amiga), but it wasn't cheap, and it was something like 14" too.
The only thing I still use from that time is a HP 5L laser printer, it cost 600$ back then.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 03:47:46 pm »
I recall paying 1200 euro (in today's money) for a 14" CRT monitor around 1994

How did you pay 1200 € by a CRT monitor?

full-HD (1920x1080) monitor for 120 euro from a decent brand like LG.

With this  you achieve to get a castrate TV ,with the half options blocked besides the screen sizes arrive until 22 inches.

Beetween 250-400 € you may achieve a TV without many options blocked and with  the screen sizes until 52 inches

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 05:02:35 pm »
I recall paying 1200 euro (in today's money) for a 14" CRT monitor around 1994

How did you pay 1200 € by a CRT monitor?
Inflation over 20 years and back then 800 Dutch Guilders in cash which was already an extremely good deal for a 14" color monitor.
full-HD (1920x1080) monitor for 120 euro from a decent brand like LG.

With this  you achieve to get a castrate TV ,with the half options blocked besides the screen sizes arrive until 22 inches.

Beetween 250-400 € you may achieve a TV without many options blocked and with  the screen sizes until 52 inches
Nowadays you don't need a TV. Just a monitor which can take whatever is output by the settop box / decoder. BTW I ended the subscription for cable TV nearly 15 years ago.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 06:50:23 pm »
Are you sure you haven't got the conversion rate backwards? In '94 I paid only about 1450Euro in today's money (according to the online inflation calculator, 2000DM back then) for a complete middle-of-the-road PC inclusive 14" CRT.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »
Inflation over 20 years and back then 800 Dutch Guilders in cash which was already an extremely good deal for a 14" color monitor.

Careful, the inflaction may distort very the  reality ,if you convert 800 Guilders to pesetas from 1994 (1pta / 75 NLG) aproximatly 60,000 ptas, when  the legal minium salary at Spain was  60,595 ptas(364€).

That's a price quite reasonable for this season ,but trying to become the guilders from 1994 to Euro  with the variation of the inflaction  is bad idea becuase the inflaction is a statistics and this tend to handle by goverments .

For this reason, without inflaction are 800 NLG = 363€   and his calculation with inflaction are 1200 € . The price of the producte rises  330%(1200/363=3.3 x 100 = 330%) , then at theory ,you have to charge 3 time more for can to pay this product.(I think that you haven't rised the salaries at Neerdeland) .

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 07:31:40 pm »
Are you sure you haven't got the conversion rate backwards? In '94 I paid only about 1450Euro in today's money (according to the online inflation calculator, 2000DM back then) for a complete middle-of-the-road PC inclusive 14" CRT.
I used an online inflation calculator as well but I see their output is rather obfustigated and it should be around half so my old 14" CRT monitor is about 5 times more expensive instead of 10 times.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 07:43:38 pm »

Neerdeland  800 NLG(1994) - 1200 €(2016)  On resume : the neerdeland salaries is 3600€/month

UK               800 NLG(1994)- 1450 €   (2016)          On resume : the uk salaries is 5800€/month

Spain          60,000 ptas(1994)-611.49€ (2016)      On resume : the spain salaries is 1029.75€/month (Damm, we follow to be mileuristas :-DD)

http://www.ine.es/calcula/calcula.do

I follow to think that to add the inflation to vintage price haven't sense
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:46:16 pm by vodka »

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 07:59:46 pm »
I used an online inflation calculator as well but I see their output is rather obfustigated and it should be around half so my old 14" CRT monitor is about 5 times more expensive instead of 10 times.
Were monitors so much more expensive in the Netherlands than in Germany? I just looked at some (German) price lists from back in 1994 (and Guilder were close enough in value to DM) and 14" monitors are considerably lower in price there. 800 guilder/714DM would get you a higher-range 15" monitor on those lists (17"ers were considerably more expensive but 14" seemed to top out below 500DM and 15"ers started from there).

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 08:30:03 pm »
TV repair has become obsolete because:

1. TV quality/features are changing more rapidly
2. They are cheaper relative to average income than ever before
3. The labor cost/repair vs. buying new with "insurance" is not worth fixing

Many people these days are just picking up "insurance" which lets them swap their defective TV for a new one within the first 4-5 years. After that, they will likely toss it and buy a new one because the economics are not worth it. Factor in the repair cost and time without a TV, and the fact that a new one will come again with a 4-5 year warranty/"insurance", and has enough new features to make it worth the switch... It's a hard sell.

More and more TV repair these days is done by electronics do-it-yourselfers like folks here on the EEVBlog who learn about it and want to test their skills first, knowing if they don't success they'll toss it and buy new one anyways. Combine that with shops online like http://www.shopjimmy.com/ that sell you "component kits" to full boards of commonly failed parts on many TV models, and if you can usually fix things yourself.

There are the simple blown-cap type jobs on power supplies which you can buy components for yourself, to more complex multi-part failures that take a bit more time (see for example 3:50 in the video below):

Nevertheless, the AVERAGE person will go to BestBuy and pay $100 non-refundable "diagnostic fee". Then once you add labor and cost of parts.... Say a board costs $50-100, and then another $50 labour, you are at least in the $200-300 range with taxes in. Doesn't matter whether TV is 36" or 50". Even if the board is 99% good and 1 cap is blown, the tech will likely replace entire board and NOT replace single caps by de-soldering/re-soldering. Then they give you 90 days warranty.

Meanwhile, you'll find these new 50" TV's for $500-600. They give you maybe 2 year manufacturer warranty, then you pay another $50-100 for maybe to cover you for years 3-5 (or whatever it is).

I think it is purely economics. Even if TV features don't change much, the ratio of cost of repair to buy new is tipping the decision of most average consumers, while electronics hobbyists do it because (A) their labour is "free" and for the most part they consider it a challenge to see if they can fix it, and (B) most will have at least some gear (soldering iron, meters, scopes, component availability), and (C) they know the cost of components is miniscule and it is worth spending the time to fix it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:38:26 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 08:46:48 pm »
Were monitors so much more expensive in the Netherlands than in Germany? I just looked at some (German) price lists from back in 1994 (and Guilder were close enough in value to DM) and 14" monitors are considerably lower in price there. 800 guilder/714DM would get you a higher-range 15" monitor on those lists (17"ers were considerably more expensive but 14" seemed to top out below 500DM and 15"ers started from there).
Even today things in Germany are a lot cheaper than in the Netherlands. Besides that there may have been better deals out there at that time but I wasn't aware of them. Also VAT may make the difference. Back in those days internet as we know it today didn't exist so comparing prices was hard; I think I got the monitor through an advertisement in a magazine. I went over to the shop (about 50km away) with my parent's Lada (yes that is a car).

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 10:38:15 pm »
I always thought it was someone's failed attempt at a tractor working on a description from a drunken cossack who had once seen one twenty years ago and using only tools and materials you can find behind the barn.  8)

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 05:07:49 am »
TV repair has become obsolete because:

3. The labor cost/repair vs. buying new with "insurance" is not worth fixing

The labor cost repair simply is a joke and they only are putting themselves the rope on his neck with these tariff, because somebody believe itself that can to live fixing 4 or 5 TV per month.

Even if the board is 99% good and 1 cap is blown, the tech will likely replace entire board and NOT replace

These are the technics "CHANGE-PIECES", they  go to diagnostic page of  the service manual ,they test 4 points and change the board. And they want to charge 50 or 100 euros per hour ,plus the board price between 100-200€.

If the people had the possibility of the buying the replacement board to a reasonable price , the great majority of the electrohousehold might fix by the customers(at their homes).

But now ,we have ecological goods  with  consuming more  efficient thanks to silly fashion of the corporations and goverments ,but our goods last each time less  and therefore they have to use more resource for replacing it.

HURRA for ecological  hypocrise   :clap: :clap:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:09:48 am by vodka »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 05:53:57 am »
He should move to a third-world country. I bet they have a lot of CRT TVs that need fixing. :P *rimshot*
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 08:30:16 am »
If the people had the possibility of the buying the replacement board to a reasonable price , the great majority of the electrohousehold might fix by the customers(at their homes).

No way. Nowadays less and less people are doing what's "not their job". Even those who could understand how to do it (and do it safely) will simply not want to.
Heck, many people don't want to prepare their food anymore and buy ready-made stuff.

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 09:26:46 am »
I don't watch Tv anymore else because I found it to be stupid and dis-educative: there are no more documentaries and stuff like that, ads everywhere and the few programs they make they bombard you with stupid political debates and all that nasty stuff: whenever you realize that the situations are never going to change, the whole point is useless... The few culture programs they make, they don't even know what they are talking about neither they go deep on subjects. Nowadays art is like a no brainier  catalog of items to show....

I'm glad to say that I will never buy a TV again. I'd go for a monitor instead...

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 09:45:33 am »
TV's make great monitors, and are much cheaper for the same sizes or bigger!

I don't have TVs to watch TV, I use them fro my PCs :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf