General > General Technical Chat

The EU is enforcing USB-C on portable devices

<< < (85/100) > >>

Monkeh:

--- Quote from: eti on September 27, 2022, 09:39:07 pm ---
--- Quote from: Monkeh on September 27, 2022, 02:04:46 pm ---
--- Quote from: eti on September 27, 2022, 06:04:24 am ---I know Apple inside out.

--- End quote ---

So you're saying they're going to exit the EU market?

--- End quote ---

The "EU" *SAY* that they will enforce it, Apple WILL find a way around it, or ignore them. Don't people learn from experience? No one wants a SHIT standard, least of all Apple.

--- End quote ---

The sheer arrogance you attribute to Apple is a mere fraction of your own.

tooki:

--- Quote from: eti on September 27, 2022, 04:59:28 pm ---
--- Quote from: tooki on September 27, 2022, 11:14:39 am ---
--- Quote from: eti on September 27, 2022, 06:04:24 am ---USB-C is a pile of shit connector design. Data speeds aside, lightning is many times more robust and more well thought through in terms of design. Based on this, it stands to reason that Apple will supercede it with a better, equally (or more) robust plug and socket than the current lightning port. USB-C doesn't factor into their plans for phones; anyone with enough nouse and experience with the DNA and ethos of Apple KNOWS this, it's not even a point of "discussion" as it's not gonna happen.

--- End quote ---
Bullcrap. Apple gladly uses industry standards when they suffice. It’s only when no industry standard meets their requirements that they roll their own. That’s the Apple DNA/ethos.

I’m honestly not sure why Apple hasn’t moved the iPhone to USB-C yet. The only argument against it is that existing iPhone owners already have lots of Lightning accessories.

--- End quote ---

I explained why. You reject it. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--- End quote ---
Well yeah, because it’s wrong, and obviously so. I very, very much understand the Apple ethos, and it’s clear to me you don’t understand it, and don’t know Apple’s history as well as you think you do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tooki:

--- Quote from: themadhippy on September 27, 2022, 02:31:41 pm ---
--- Quote --- The only argument against it is that existing iPhone owners already have lots of Lightning accessories
--- End quote ---
Apple caring about compatibility to legacy kit? yea they got a good history of doing that

--- End quote ---
It’s not that so much as it is avoiding the “oh, they’re forcing customers to buy new accessories/dongles AGAIN” whining, like happened after switching to Lightning.

tooki:

--- Quote from: Black Phoenix on September 27, 2022, 11:32:24 am ---
--- Quote from: tooki on September 27, 2022, 11:14:39 am ---I’m honestly not sure why Apple hasn’t moved the iPhone to USB-C yet. The only argument against it is that existing iPhone owners already have lots of Lightning accessories.

--- End quote ---

As I said previously in this topic I believe it is because of the MFi certification who earns them money per accessory, not product.

Here's the quote with relevant links

--- Quote from: Black Phoenix on June 08, 2022, 05:57:40 am ---
--- Quote from: Ed.Kloonk on June 08, 2022, 05:26:25 am ---For some of us playing along at home, form factor aside, what can the lightning interface do that the USB-C cannot? Or am I trying to oversimplify it?

--- End quote ---

Provide an extra avenue of revenue for Apple. That's the only difference between the Apple Lightning port and USB-C.

Both are reversible, both the plug gets damaged first than the port on the device, both support video and audio.

USB-C is better on power delivery.

Any accessory to be certified (every accessory, not a line of accessories) have to pay a tax to Apple to have the logo of MFi - https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22209924

https://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/07/apple-lowers-mfi-lightening-licensing-fees-paving-way-for-more-affordable-ios-accessories-

So that is the main reason, all the other reasons they say being increase waste, controlling the experience of owning and using their product is just a smoke screen from the real reason.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I know you wrote that, but I don’t think it’s correct. MFi certification is required to use Lightning, but it’s also required to use the MFi logo on things that don’t use Lightning. (For example, an iPhone-compatible USB jack on a car stereo or home cinema receiver. You can make it compatible without licensing, but you can’t use the logo. Or Bluetooth.) There’s no reason to assume the MFi revenues would simply disappear even if Lightning gave way to USB-C.

Berni:
It is possible the apple might make a port-less iPhone before they make a USB-C one.

Going to USB-C is something sensible but wouldn't really make for much of a big news in the apple circles when they announce it on the next apple keynote, especially since iPads already have it. But announcing a iPhone without any USB port, now that is industry wide news. Apple is good at taking away things and then marketing it as a feature. They already did it with the headphone jack.

Not that it matters for me. I am an Android user, all modern Android phones are USB-C. Tho the headphone jack deletion trend has spread to Android now too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version