Author Topic: The Hyperloop: BUSTED  (Read 128571 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: The Hyperloop: BUSTED
« Reply #550 on: November 08, 2019, 10:36:25 pm »
The timeline may well be different your side of the pond, but over here...

For most PayPal cardholders, eBay is literally the smallest portion of their PayPal spending.

That's true for me now, but it started completely the other way. Paypal was as trustworthy (in the sense of, would you give them access to your bank account) as Facebook Libra is now. That is, no way. It was a nothing and not missed. I had several cash cards for Internet spending, which made sure that no online store had access to my unlimited funds.

But then I was using Ebay a fair bit, and PayPal was a lot simpler to use for payment on there. Took a while but eventually (and encouraged by Ebay) all my Ebay payments were via PayPal. But that's all. After that, and quite a lot after, since I had a PayPal account I started using it for online checkout at other places. Again, took quite a while to work up the trust and not that many big-name stores took it, but over time it crept in more and more. Ebay buying PayPal accelerated the process, and now it's my preferred payment processor online.

I doubt if I would be using PayPal so much if it weren't for Ebay, so in that sense Ebay carried PayPal forward. Now, PayPal doesn't need Ebay. Such is life :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #551 on: November 28, 2019, 08:41:01 pm »

OK, I know that's not applicable (each person has an allocated space) but it shows the way they want to take things.

I've been on flights that were literally 17 minutes from takeoff to landing, so...  :-//

(eg. Valencia to Ibiza in Spain)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: November 29, 2019, 03:14:58 am »

OK, I know that's not applicable (each person has an allocated space) but it shows the way they want to take things.

I've been on flights that were literally 17 minutes from takeoff to landing, so...  :-//

Lol that would be an odd flight.   Seems kinda wasteful to even have that route haha.

"Please keep seatbelts on until we are at cruising altitude at which point the seat belt sign will turn off"
*ding*
"We are now starting to descend and preparing to land, please make sure your seat belt is fastened and your tray is in the upright position"

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #553 on: November 29, 2019, 08:15:21 am »
Quote from: fungus

"Please keep seatbelts on until we are at cruising altitude at which point the seat belt sign will turn off"
*ding*
"We are now starting to descend and preparing to land, please make sure your seat belt is fastened and your tray is in the upright position"

They start the final approach as soon as the thing gets off the ground. I'm surprised they even bother to retract the wheels.

(done that route three times now)

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #554 on: November 29, 2019, 09:35:21 am »
So you do the check-in for 1 or 2 hours and then also do the deboarding for another 30 Minutes?
Or are the quicker check-ins?
It has been some time since I last took a flight, but I remember having to wait quite some time before boarding, during boarding and also deboarding.

How much time does it take to go by Ferry?  :o
As easy as paint by number.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #555 on: November 29, 2019, 10:17:27 am »
So you do the check-in for 1 or 2 hours and then also do the deboarding for another 30 Minutes?

Yep. Boarding takes longer than the flight.

How much time does it take to go by Ferry?  :o

2 hours, I think. I'm not sure if it's cheaper though, Ferries are for people who want to take their car with them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:31:54 am by Fungus »

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #556 on: November 29, 2019, 10:28:26 am »
Well the alternative is 4 hours by boat so it's not really that crazy

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #557 on: November 29, 2019, 12:39:33 pm »
Quote from: fungus

*ding*

They start the final approach as soon as the thing gets off the ground. I'm surprised they even bother to retract the wheels.

(done that route three times now)

Perth, Western Australia to Rottnest Island beats that at 12 minutes for the landplane & 15 mins for the seaplane.
There is also a helicopter service, but they don't quote trip duration.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #558 on: December 03, 2019, 07:36:22 pm »

Pffff  VLC-IBZ  108 miles; that's long-haul. 
I've been on jet operated flights of 39 miles

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #559 on: December 03, 2019, 08:21:57 pm »

Any shorter than that and may as well be shot out of a canon!  :-DD

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #560 on: December 03, 2019, 08:31:36 pm »

Any shorter than that and may as well be shot out of a canon!  :-DD

Pretty much shot out of a canon.  It hasn't been operated by a jet in a long time (mid 80s), but back then was often DC9s (AC) and 737s (PWA). 
Now it's pretty much all DHC8-400s (AC, WS)

.. Air Canada's regional carriers also operate a shorter 33 mile route (YVR-YCD).  Such are the joys of living on an island

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #561 on: December 04, 2019, 02:52:37 am »
It appeared to me that China Eastern has a regular late night flight between Shanghai Hongqiao and Shanghai Pudong. It is not publicly available in ticketing systems, but if you ask the China Eastern manager at Hongqiao nicely he may sell you a ticket on that flight.

That is more like a regular technical movement of planes given a scheduled flight number. However since it is a late night flight happens after the Metro closed, it is useful as a transfer link between a late night Hongqiao arrival and an early morning Pudong departure. It is also priced below late night taxi fare between the two airports.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf