Author Topic: The LED is 50!  (Read 3829 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The LED is 50!
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:34:01 am »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: The LED is 50!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:47:07 am »
Nice!

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline PbFoot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:52 pm »
Nope. This is a typical Yankee twist on the truth. In actual fact:

"Russian Oleg Vladimirovich Losev reported creation of the first LED in 1927".

- PbFoot

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:59:37 pm »
Nope. Lozev sw light emitting from a piece of silicon under pressure of a whisker. this is NOT an LED.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:20:30 pm »
Prepare for a 5 page long discussion involving this and most early XX century inventors as well.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »
Tesla invented it first!

;D

Offline Jeff1946

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:40 am »
Thanks to Shuji Nakamura who persisted for many years to finally produce a reliable high power blue led.  Key was figuring out a way to make GaN with fewer defects.  Note white leds are blue leds coated with a phosphor that converts most of the blue to lower wavelength light.  This really a case where one person deserves all of the credit.

As an aside  I was in Rio de Janeirio a few months ago and was impressed how white the Christ the Redeamer statue appears at night, kind of like a white dove floating above the city.  When I visited it the next day I noticed that there were banks of leds (white I assume) to illuminate it.

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 02:03:30 am »
As an aside  I was in Rio de Janeirio a few months ago and was impressed how white the Christ the Redeamer statue appears at night, kind of like a white dove floating above the city.  When I visited it the next day I noticed that there were banks of leds (white I assume) to illuminate it.

RGB lights, actually. They change colors for special occasions. It was red yesterday.

Offline neotesla

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:35:15 am »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:17 am »
I remember the first cheap ultra bright led chips in green. I made a torch out of one, and it was the first led that could project a visible spot in shaded sunlight at 20mA.

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:04:58 am »
I remember my first 7-segment LED, it cost about $30 way back then and instead of having monolithic segments, each segment was made from an array of tiny dots.

In 1977 I also had one of those LED watches that had a battery life of about 2 months.

And my first calculator (about 1975/6 had *tiny* a little LED display in which each digit had a plastic bubble-like lens over it so that it became big enough to actually read.

$40 for a basic 4-function unit.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »
I remember changing from filament displays to LED displays. 7 resistors per digit to put in a 4mm spacer between 2 pcb's and solder, and then solder the 8 wires from the existing display on to this sandwich. 470 ohm 1/8W resistors, and the board took 16 displays, along with a few resistors for some of the decimal points, along with some 3mm as colons. Took about 3 days per board to do and test then fix the errors. Then the complaint of too bright, so i did a little thinking and added 2 1N5403 diodes in the common lead to drop the voltage to the display. Not going to unsolder all those resistors and increase them to 680R, way too much paperwork to do.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »
LED is electro luminescence this was first created at the Marconi laboratory in 1907 by HJ Round using silicon carbide with a point contact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf