Author Topic: The missing link. Camcorder or POV and uploading to the net via smart phone.  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Hi.

I am lucky enough to own a helmet cam and also a smart phone. When on holiday, I can use both to keep in touch and capture hi def video of my trip.

All is fine until I want to edit said Hi Definition video. For this I need to carry around a PC for only this purpose. And no longer want to.

My next head cam will produce 4k video files.  :scared: And I'll will be trying to upload with hotel wifi.  :scared: :scared:

Can we discuss options?

Is there a practical (small) hardware solution already, or is there a need for one?

As phones get more powerful, do you see the ever Phone Apps being up to stretch (I don't)?

Do you have any suggestions?

iratus parum formica

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
4k video files? Are you putting a RED on your helmet?

Most high-end Android phones are able to capture FHD footage so there are also a few video editors available for that platform. Using USB OTG you are able to transfer files to/from your card/harddrive.
That said, FHD video processing is taxing even on computers, I hate to think how your new phone will turn into a toaster as it processes video files for hours. Better get and ultrabook.

Edit: I did use my phone to process my 16MP DSLR raw files and upload them but it was only as a necessity. Not to mention the immature software on mobile, imprecise touchscreen interface and general slowness.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:03:09 pm by brainwash »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
You will be buying a shedload of removeable media storage, and a bag to carry it around.

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
Ok, my bad (in part) was that I did not know that Hero3 does 4k, albeit only at 12 fps. But even with today's laptops I'm not sure I would be able to edit and upload that while in a stop-over.
I would say stick for now to FHD video and you would be able to edit it (trimming and minor stuff) and upload it using a high-end phone or tablet.
If you are doing professional stuff then don't mind me.

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
.. that Hero3 does 4k, albeit only at 12 fps.

Yes, but the next model will be much higher. But the encoded bit rate is still up there.

You will be buying a shedload of removable media storage, and a bag to carry it around.
Already using redundant array of three 750gb wallet drives ferried around in little bubble wrap baggies. No problems.

Using USB OTG you are able to transfer files to/from your card/harddrive.
That said, FHD video processing is taxing even on computers, I hate to think how your new phone will turn into a toaster as it processes video files for hours. Better get and ultrabook.

Yep I can use OTG but also have a card slot in the phone. Getting a Ultra book is admitting defeat.

iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf