Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 624808 times)

Offline Dynomo

Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2010, 09:01:43 am »
How many pictures we can find what are take inside PCB's from both models. If original factory made 1102 or 1052, are there differencies or are these seen differencies only revision differences. (specially in PCB just after BNC connector.)

So far, none of the DS1052E internals I've seen have the 2nd switching relay in the front-end, which the 1102E seem to have.

- Mark

My DS1052E

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:52 am »
Really interesting! Lot of thanks.

So, maybe differencies are revision differencies. Not differencies between models.

Weeeery interesting........

BTW:

somebody may see this useful, I do not remeber where I find this (maybe) interesting document:

http://www.box.net/shared/2cp5vysnya

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:42:58 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2010, 10:10:34 am »
So far, none of the DS1052E internals I've seen have the 2nd switching relay in the front-end, which the 1102E seem to have.

My DS1052E  (...with pictures of dual-relays...)

Thanks, Dynomo!  That eliminates the only hardware-specific difference I was aware of.  Since the firmware is identical, it's looking like there may be no hardware differences.

- Mark

Offline David

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19:44 am »
I can't imagine the R&D that would be involved in accurately counterfitting the Rigol DS1052E and getting it to perform similar to the true model, not to mention creating all of the injection molds for the various plastic components and buttons.  Then they would have to source all of the analog parts....

Well, see ATTEN (now also Siglent).  That's exactly what they do.  The insides are like a photocopy of the Rigol's.  Some people think that Rigol manufactures them for ATTEN, but they actually do the cloning themselves.  And yes, that's theft of IP, and copyright infringement.  And yes, that's China.

(But, no, that's not what anyone here was talking about.  Just making up fake labels for real Rigol scopes.)

- Mark

I am positive that if you go onto the Rigol website you will see ATTEN scopes for sale too. Well at least the last time I went on you could...
David
(United Kingdom)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #379 on: March 20, 2010, 10:24:02 am »
I wonder how long it is before people start selling DS1102E/D labels for rebadging DS1052E/D units, for sure they won't be for sale for long but I bet someone tries. I'm in a quandry myself as I'll be using mine at work soon or rather our clients will be using it so I don't know how to explain away the fact that I have modded it  ;D

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #380 on: March 20, 2010, 10:30:42 am »
I am positive that if you go onto the Rigol website you will see ATTEN scopes for sale too. Well at least the last time I went on you could...

???  David, that surprises me.  I've been monitoring the Rigol websites pretty carefully for almost 2 years now, and I've never seen an ATTEN product there.  Perhaps you could supply a pointer?

Also, Rigol's Head of Service said that, "Atten lives like a kind of thief who never gets the respect."  Doesn't sound like the kind of relationship where they'd host their (competitor's) products on their site.  You can read his full commentary here, under the username RScope.

Also, Rigol filed a lawsuit against ATTEN for violation of copyrights, and won.  You can find it with a Google search.

- Mark
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:48:14 am by Mark_O »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #381 on: March 20, 2010, 10:46:27 am »
I wonder how long it is before people start selling DS1102E/D labels for rebadging DS1052E/D units, for sure they won't be for sale for long but I bet someone tries. I'm in a quandry myself as I'll be using mine at work soon or rather our clients will be using it so I don't know how to explain away the fact that I have modded it  ;D

You're in a quandary?  Why say anything at all?  There's nothing to "explain", unless you're in the mood to brag.

- Mark

Offline Dynomo

« Reply #382 on: March 20, 2010, 10:47:02 am »

My DS1052E  (...with pictures of dual-relays...)

Thanks, Dynomo!  That eliminates the only hardware-specific difference I was aware of.  Since the firmware is identical, it's looking like there may be no hardware differences.

- Mark

Some more pics here
http://www.mikeb.vivaciti.net/rigolpics

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #383 on: March 20, 2010, 11:10:10 am »
Some more pics here

Thanks a lot, Mike, for taking the time.  There are some shots in there I'd never seen before.  I see your board is labeled DEMO6 (and flolic's was DEMO5).  Also, they kind of cooked the 2005 Keyboard PCB when they soldered on the pots.

- Mark

P.S.  One of the files (1477) doesn't seem to be accessible...

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #384 on: March 20, 2010, 11:29:35 am »

You're in a quandary?  Why say anything at all?  There's nothing to "explain", unless you're in the mood to brag.

- Mark

eer the client requested a 100 MHz scope be available, so it looks a bit funny if I set up a scope that say's on it's decal 50 MHz and then tell them it is 100 MHz

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #385 on: March 20, 2010, 11:38:20 am »
eer the client requested a 100 MHz scope be available, so it looks a bit funny if I set up a scope that say's on it's decal 50 MHz and then tell them it is 100 MHz

Ah, yes.  I see.  I guess that begs the question of if you knew you were to supply a 100 MHz scope for a Client, why you purchased a 50 MHz unit instead.  But you don't have to explain yourself to me.  At least I understand your dilemma now.

- Mark

P.S.  Black electrical tape?  ;)

Offline Dynomo

« Reply #386 on: March 20, 2010, 11:42:34 am »
Some more pics here

Thanks a lot, Mike, for taking the time.  There are some shots in there I'd never seen before.  I see your board is labeled DEMO6 (and flolic's was DEMO5).  Also, they kind of cooked the 2005 Keyboard PCB when they soldered on the pots.

- Mark

P.S.  One of the files (1477) doesn't seem to be accessible...

Np your welcome, I think the keyboard pcb  is just flux all over the board where they soldered on the pots.
1477 was removed, it was some ddr2 ram I sold on Ebay,uploaded it by mistake :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:49:22 am by Dynomo »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #387 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:38 am »

Ah, yes.  I see.  I guess that begs the question of if you knew you were to supply a 100 MHz scope for a Client, why you purchased a 50 MHz unit instead.  But you don't have to explain yourself to me.  At least I understand your dilemma now.

- Mark

P.S.  Black electrical tape?  ;)

well it goes like this: I work for a BOG standard company who design and make air con and cooling packs for vehicles. The companies electrical competence dates back to pre WWII ie: we still use power resistors to reduce 24 V to 12 V but then if your equiping a military vehicle (we do a lot for MOD mostly indirectly) you want it to be robust.

We messed up on a design (nothing new) and need to verify for EMI as they go nuts over that.

We are of course very ill equiped and the way it went was thus:

Eng.: Simon have you got an oscilloscope in the QC dept. ?
me:  No but I have one at home if we need one.
Eng.: It's ok I have one upstairs, do you know how to use one
me: (having thought well yes you stupid **** I just tyold you i OWN one) sure

Later he called me over and showed me his sons ex hameg 303-4 and said "show me how to use it" after some fiddling trying to get a trace out of it as the buttons had obviously been randomly pressed and I'm no scope geek I just use them he said to take it away and get it working and to let him know.

He came back later and explained that the client need a 100 MHz scope but at least we have "this one" that does 30 MHz and maybe 50 (yes for a pure sine wave only i bet) so I suggested my 50 MHz digital. took it in next day and he was impressed and said we'd best use it instead, I explained that I could probably get it to work at 100 MHz although obviosly as this guy is not on the ball (he's the one that can't draw a non abiguos evaporator coils drawing and generally get stuff right let alone understand finer things) he has not thought yet that the client will find it odd that we present a scope with 50 MHz on the face and say it will do 100 MHz, after all the mess ups we have made I know they will think we are as nuts as we are  ;D

oh well will prove to be fun, better than the usual work routine, if only they would take electronics control more seriously I may have wider scope in the job, being a goods in QC inspector is boring  :-\

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »
Wow!   :)  I'm speechless.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:27:58 pm by Mark_O »

Offline David

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #389 on: March 20, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »

???  David, that surprises me.  I've been monitoring the Rigol websites pretty carefully for almost 2 years now, and I've never seen an ATTEN product there.  Perhaps you could supply a pointer?

Also, Rigol's Head of Service said that, "Atten lives like a kind of thief who never gets the respect."  Doesn't sound like the kind of relationship where they'd host their (competitor's) products on their site.  You can read his full commentary here, under the username RScope.

Also, Rigol filed a lawsuit against ATTEN for violation of copyrights, and won.  You can find it with a Google search.

- Mark

Forgive me, must of been half asleep when I posted that comment. I was referring to the following site, which is obviously not Rigols official website!

http://www.rigoloscilloscope.com/
David
(United Kingdom)

Offline Michael

« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2010, 11:23:49 pm »
Thank you people who found this nice mod.

I just did the mod. But why is everyone using serial cable and some kind of terminal program?
I used the VB Rigol Visa Demo with an USB cable. Am i'm missing something ? Hack seems to be permanent after powercycle ???

btw. had to download visa441runtime , the one supplied with the CD didn't work in Windows 7.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:25:55 pm by Michael »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #391 on: March 21, 2010, 05:12:30 am »
Forgive me, must of been half asleep when I posted that comment. I was referring to the following site...

No problem.  

BTW, I'd never deal with a fraudulent website like that.  I.e., one that inflates the price, then has it "On Sale" for the full MSRP.  (Like the DS1204B at $2500 "list", "on sale" for $1900.)  That's just BS.  Two thumbs down, there.

- Mark

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2010, 07:15:09 am »
Thank you people who found this nice mod.

I just did the mod. But why is everyone using serial cable and some kind of terminal program?
I used the VB Rigol Visa Demo with an USB cable. Am i'm missing something ? Hack seems to be permanent after powercycle ???

btw. had to download visa441runtime , the one supplied with the CD didn't work in Windows 7.

it's just easier and most people have a serial cable laying around anyway, wack the cable in and throw the commands at it, no need to worry about getting the USB to work,

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
  • Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
« Reply #393 on: March 21, 2010, 07:37:32 am »
Try getting USB and Windows 7 64 bit to work!

Well Maybe if Rigol made some decent drivers for it. It really pees me off that Some suppliers simply ignore that fact that serious users will be using a serious Operating system and never supply the full set of drivers.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2010, 07:45:38 am »
The rigol as far as I know does not work under window Vista at least I had no success, I would assume that it is the same for Win7. yea as it has been noted before they do the absolute minimum and have made their products outdated when it comes to PC interfacing, I hardly consider Rigol a serious company for this, the quality of their scopes in the light of this to me is a fluke I only bought mine because people raved about it, and it proved a good buy.

Offline jone

• Contributor
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2010, 08:59:18 am »
The rigol as far as I know does not work under window Vista at least I had no success, I would assume that it is the same for Win7.
You may want to try a different VISA runtime, as Michael mentions above. There is certainly a 64bit download for Vista/Win7 - http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1408/lang/en

Offline mxmxmx

• Contributor
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2010, 09:15:11 am »
Try getting USB and Windows 7 64 bit to work!

I don't see a problem, simply use Agilent IO Libraries or any other VISA implementation which supports that OS and architecture.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2010, 11:49:57 am »
so will that allow the rigol to work with the software they provide under vista/7 ?

Offline jone

• Contributor
« Reply #398 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:41 am »
so will that allow the rigol to work with the software they provide under vista/7 ?
I don't have a Win7 machine here to test on, but I suspect the problem would be with the supplied drivers, rather than the Ultrascope GUI. It's certainly worth giving it a shot!

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #399 on: March 21, 2010, 12:00:56 pm »
downloading now, will let ya know (once I've put the scope back together)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf