Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 622639 times)

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2009, 10:49:58 am »
Another tip for Trent: resize the photos before putting them online. I had to download them to my web server first, resize to 25% and only then load them on my laptop. I'm using limited 3G broadband, if you're wondering :D

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2009, 12:25:34 pm »
Anybody else have really shady "record" functionality? When taking bitmap images to my USB stick with the record function I first create a new file in the storage -> external menu, then I go to the record function, select correct channel and press operate, scope says waveforms recorded. Then I take off my USB stick, plug it in my computer and see.... an image with either a) just noise on both channels (no signal) or b) channel number 1 signal (and just noise on channel nr2) no matter if channel nr. 1 or 2 was selected. But then somehow I managed to take one image that showed both channels (what I wanted) even though I didn't do anything different. Is there an update for the firmware or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Seems I can capture channel 2 by disabling channel 1 totally, but I'd like to be able to capture them both at the same time...
Edit2: It seems it is somehow related to which channel is "selected" (ie. which channels V/div changes when you turn the knob) but I really don't see any logic in it. Now I had channel 1 selected and told it to capture channel 1 and I got both channels in the picture. Go figure, seems bit buggy. Haven't tried any other capture forms than bitmap though (using linux so I cant be bothered to install ultrascope in wine or virtualbox).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:39:39 pm by Dago »
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

TrentO

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 07:00:30 pm »
Another tip for Trent: resize the photos before putting them online. I had to download them to my web server first, resize to 25% and only then load them on my laptop. I'm using limited 3G broadband, if you're wondering :D

I'm using 3G myself. Re-size them, for what?

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 07:18:20 pm »
we don't really need a 6-10 Mp image for screen viewing, if you upload images for web use in 1024 X 768 pixels at most they will be nice and big on computer screens but not so large they place uneccesary strain on hosting resources and peoples connections.

3G connection speeds vary from location to location and are paid for by the KB so why upload what could be a 1+ MB photo when about  150 KB will serve the same purpose?

and not to upset anyone but its greener too ! all that data is being transmitted and received by many people, its not just a case of you putting up a 1 MB file, that 1 MB file will be downloaded (viewed) by many people.

we have a similar problem at work and are asked to keep images down to 1-200 KB, thing is I can take a few 10 Mp images on my DSLR that have a file size of 1-2.5 MB, I will then email these images to a supplier copying in other people in the company, our email accounts are stored on a central server, suddenly a few images can mean that my company alone has up to 100 MB of data stored over a few photos !

TrentO

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »
Per Simon's request, of which the added context was very appropriate and appreciated-- for images that don't really require it, I will try to remember to lower the res on my camera... 

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 08:35:54 pm »
Thanks Trent, normally the lowest possible setting on a camera is plenty for web purposes or there are some nice freeware photo editors out there if you like fine tuning or have like me a minimum of 2 Mp on your camera, although thats not too bad, paint.net is quite a good one, I always shoot at 10 Mp and then worry about it later as my job is as a QC inspector so often I have to photograph damaged goods, on later inspection we may find more damage but with a large image an area can easily be isolated and croped to a suitable size.

TrentO

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 08:57:14 pm »
Simon, thanks for the advice--that's a 'tip' that I can actually use. Dago's tip is a useful as well.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2009, 10:36:21 am »
You usually don't need to lower the res much, the key is the compression ratio.
I use Irfanview, and simply re-saving images with 70-80% JPEG compression with the same res saves a lot of space for starters.

Dave.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2009, 10:46:15 am »
dave a 6 Mp image with with 66-70 % compression will still be large I find the best thing is a 800 pixel wide image with a good 80-90 % compression, this is immediately usable on the web is not large (1-200 KB) and is of good quality and easier to handle in up/download

markus

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »
Two questions:

1) What do we think of the Rigol vs Owon o-scope, say 5022S?  Apart from 25 vs 50mhz.

2) Do we think it is possible some people are receiving counterfeit/copied Rigol scopes, explaining the quality differences we are seeing?  This seems to be a problem with Chinese goods..

Dave, do you know the vendor you purchased your unit from on ebay?  Could other buyers also list their vendor?

Thanks for the video blog, I enjoy it!

I also agree with others that suggest an episode about general scope use, tips, tricks, etc.  I would like to see that. :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »
I got mine from HappySeeds, I believe I was his first customer for this scope.

Dave.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2009, 09:02:58 pm »
Dave and myself bought from Happyseeds, I think many others did too. I haven't taken my scope completly to bits though just played around with the power supply board

Andrew

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2009, 09:27:01 pm »
Two questions:

1) What do we think of the Rigol vs Owon o-scope, say 5022S?  Apart from 25 vs 50mhz.
If you look into an alternative to Rigol then have a look at GW Instek oscilloscopes for quality.

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2009, 09:29:43 am »
My DS1102E finally arrived yesterday, I will open it in a day or two...  ;D

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:46 pm »
Two questions:

If you look into an alternative to Rigol then have a look at GW Instek oscilloscopes for quality.

I recently purchased a GW Instek GDS-1152A scope after spending quite a lot of time looking at the various options available to me. On the whole I'm happy. Plus points:
+ The 150Mhz version isn't that much more than the 60Mhz version (the 100Mhz Rigol is a lot more than the 50Mhz one)
+ I wanted as deep a memory as possible (2MPoint, compared to the Rigol with 1MPoint)
+ Better build quality than the Rigol (inside and out)
+ Brighter, better display than the Rigol
+ Lifetime warranty
+ Could buy from a reliable bricks and mortar retailer without paying a premium.
+ Seems much more stable and less buggy than Rigol

Minus points:
- Costs more
- No push button knobs or light up buttons
- Less triggering options (no slope, no alternate trigger, no rise and fall)
- Zooming on signal interface isn't as nice (this is actually quite a big thing)
- Writing to the SD memory card takes ages with full 2Mpoint memory depth
- PC software is awful, really really bad (but the command set is full and works well)

Andrew

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »
- PC software is awful, really really bad (but the command set is full and works well)

There is some Linux command line scripting software around. No fancy GUI, but just the right tool for me to automate things.

TrentO

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2009, 06:44:11 am »
My DS1102E finally arrived yesterday, I will open it in a day or two...  ;D

Flolic, I can't wait to see the pictures! Let me know if you need any help-- If there's one thing I can do well, it's taking things apart, and (successfully) putting them back together again. :)

-Trent

TrentO

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2009, 06:47:19 am »

There is some Linux command line scripting software around. No fancy GUI, but just the right tool for me to automate things.

Andrew, what kinda stuff do you automate? Pass-fail or some other type of data-gathering?

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2009, 09:43:59 am »
TrentO, you have been more than helpful with your 1052E dissection procedure walk through  ;D
I have more than enough experience with small and awkward stuff (for instance, I modified many Canon DSLR cameras, changed shutters, IR block filters, fixed various mechanical and electronics problems...) so I will probably be ok with this Rigol   ;)

I will take it apart later today  8)

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:01 pm »
Ok, I disassembled and reassembled my Rigol DS1102E and it still works  ;D
For now, just one BIG picture of the whole PCB (click to open in full size).

More to come...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:57:25 pm by flolic »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2009, 09:57:08 pm »
thats nice and detailed, I think you put it on a scanner ?

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2009, 10:17:22 pm »
thats nice and detailed, I think you put it on a scanner ?

No, this is mosaic made from 5 images. With Canon 40D DSLR camera and Sigma 17-70mm macro lens. 

Ok, let's see what's under the hood:

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2009, 10:22:00 pm »
aha yes thats another way, well done, I have done that often too (make a higher res image from more than one image with pano software)

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »
Photography is my other hobby so making panoramic images is something I do a lot  ;)

Let's go to PSU board:

Few thoughts about temperatures, fan and fan noise. My plan was to reduce fan speed to lower noise. Before that I take some temperature measurements... I checked temperatures inside the scope with my IR thermometer. Hottest parts on the main board are definitely AD converters, followed by FPGA. They reached around 50 degrees Celsius. Other hot part is that 7905 regulator in the bottom left. But I think fan cooling is not needed for main board, those temperatures are relatively low.
On the other hand, parts of PSU get really hot. Left top (LM317) and left bottom (some diode) heatsinks are at 70C. But that diode right next to the big primary side electrolytic reached 94C!!! Room temperature was 20C.
I aborted the mission and leave fan at full speed  :(

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2009, 01:50:49 am »
Rigol specifications, false advertising or...???

If you set dual channel mode and long memory, maximum sample rate falls to 250Ms/s?? Should be 500Ms/s.
Am I doing something wrong or they lie to us??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf