Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 622637 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #550 on: April 13, 2010, 07:27:43 pm »
Just to make you all aware as i've been fidling about with my scope tonight, I'm sure it is valid for most readouts (on the measure menu) but I was looking at rise and fall times, the true value seemed to be 10 nS but if I had too many waveforms on the screen and so the rises and falls were not so noticeable the scope made an error and said they were 20 nS, I had to "zoom in" to the point where a rise was well over a div to make sure it was accurate.

just thought I'd mention it, as with analog scopes: know you equipment !

Offline bushing

• Contributor
« Reply #551 on: April 14, 2010, 05:15:36 am »
@bushing and especially shafri
JTAG: Please do not do any experiments with JTAG interface unless you exactly know what you are doing. You need to know CPU's surroundings very well before you can make use of it. As the attached flash exceeds cpu's address space, some signals are generated inside Lattice CPLD. You won't be able to read the flash unless you know how. Easier to use external programmer at this point.

Hm, okay.  I'll probably skip the external programmer, because it seems like desoldering the flash chip (even with the proper equipment) posts some risk of damaging the unit, and I don't really have much to gain from doing it.   If anyone else dumps the flash, I'd be happy to look at the contents :D

@bushing
JTAG/SPI: The SPI PCB-connector is quite new to Rigol scopes (only some recent scopes have it) and there is need to write more unit-specific data into flash than just model and sn info (what commands allows you). That's the reason why they must use JTAG in final phase of production...

Could you upload 02.02.04 firmware somwhere?

The presence of the BMODE pin on that SPI PCB-connector makes it seem like it's meant to allow an alternate firmware source (SPI flash) to be connected there, and that firmware could program everything else -- doesn't seem like anything else would be required.  But ... there are a lot of mysteries here, so I'm just guessing ... don't mind me. :)

Someone else on this forum was kind enough to send me the firmware when I asked about it here; I bet they will be just as kind to you, if you haven't heard from anyone in a couple of days let me know and I'll go and poke someone about it.

what external programmer are you talking about? isnt that JTAG programmer is a external prorammer? thanx 4 the precaution.

No, he means something like http://www.xeltek.com/product.php?productid=17207.

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #552 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:12 am »
...but I was looking at rise and fall times, the true value seemed to be 10 nS but if I had too many waveforms on the screen and so the rises and falls were not so noticeable the scope made an error and said they were 20 nS, I had to "zoom in" to the point where a rise was well over a div to make sure it was accurate.

IMHO, that's perfectly normal.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #553 on: April 14, 2010, 11:33:40 am »
yes I thought so but I'm sure a few will not be aware of it, essentially the scope is a low resolution device, it will measure what you see, so if you can't see it the scope cannot measure it accurately

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #554 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:06 pm »
Done.  Thanks to everyone that worked on this.
Mark Higgins

Offline shtoz

• Contributor
« Reply #555 on: April 16, 2010, 11:34:13 am »
Hi
Has anybody 02.02.04 firmware?

Reprogram from 1052 to 1102 by RS232 works fine, thanks guys!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #556 on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:28 am »
What is this talking about FW 02.02.04 as long as we talk about Rigol DS1000E series socilloscopes?

Please give clear information if someone have seen 02.02.04 in 1000E series.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #557 on: April 16, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

Someone was given this firmware by Rigol as being the "latest". No reports of seeing it in actual shipped units yet.

Dave.

Offline serif

« Reply #558 on: April 16, 2010, 09:21:49 pm »
but the system info screen now shows model as 123456789123456789123456789123456789123456789123456789
and the serial no surprisingly is now showing DS10000001

if i do another *idn? after a reboot i still get the same as above, so I'm now thinking the serial that is displayed on screen, is not stored as a string but is decoded from the string you send it. but still that string is stored and retrieved from memory when you do *idn? or :info:serial?

Hi, just noticed that I probably have about the same problem as dimlow.
I got that same S/N after it broke, but changing S/N works, and is storable.

The model no. is corrupted, and on the status screen the display is distorted,
a ~8px wide white noise band from left to right over whole screen, about where the model appears.
Can't see if there are any letters behind.

When i run *IDN? i get the serial also as model number. When i run :INFO:MODEL? i get nothing,
and if I remember correctly, the serial interfaces stops working until after reboot.

When i try to set the model number it stays in some volatile memory until after reboot. It shows in *IDN?
But it still doesn't show in :INFO:MODEL?
(so it seems I could not write to that position in memory at all anymore, via rs232)

I seem to have no other problems, and can live with it, but if someone manages to dump a complete working firmware, and figure
out how to overwrite the existing one, I'd love to hear about it.

Stupid me should have made a good cup of coffee before starting to hack.  :P At least it's not totally bricked.

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
  • Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
« Reply #559 on: April 16, 2010, 11:03:56 pm »
No, No, that was not the problem, I can change the serial and Model Number to what ever i want and it will stick just fine. I can convert between DS1052E and DS1102E easy. What you are quoting is from a test i ran, nothing more.

But yes to the noise issue, and the voltage offsets when switching ranges. I have that problem. Still though ? im not sure is this is a hardware problem or a problem with changing the serial/model number. Unless someone does come up with a Flash dump that i can load into the scope, we will never know.

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #560 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:09 pm »
Got my scope this week.  Only took about 10 days, $ 447

Did the convert w/RS232.  Ver 02.02.02 SP2  Info screen shows 1102E, but max horiz is still 5 nS.

Anybody experience this ?  Convert back and redo ?

paul

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
    • Dimlow Ponders
« Reply #561 on: April 16, 2010, 11:56:37 pm »
Should be DS1102E !!! not 1102E

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #562 on: April 17, 2010, 12:00:21 am »
Be sure you convert your serial information also, the prefix is essential.. follow Dave's directions exactly.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #563 on: April 17, 2010, 12:43:47 am »
All syntax, spelling, etc is correct (I was just abbreviating in the post).

paul

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #564 on: April 17, 2010, 02:52:21 am »
So you've done the changes in the same order as in Dave's video and as described in this forum post, and the model number sticks even after you cycle power on the unit?  In that case, you might be unique..
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #565 on: April 17, 2010, 05:35:49 am »
 In that case, you might be unique..

Not unique. I have report this problem at 30. March.

Day ago I get new DS1052E from China.
Command modification did NOT work as before!
I have try with many variations how to do.

With these units what I have before all goes ok.

I have not yet find solution with these new. If I try as before, display go sometimes "black" and only button what make anything is power ON/OFF. After this scope continues as DS1052E (serial number it (sometimes) keep as I type it, but it return to 1052). Some times there is only white random scratch over model number row from left to right over display.) One time it was totally difficult to return so that system display was ok.

FW with these new are exactly same 020202

Only difference what I can see is different start of serial number after letters. (first 4 digits... maybe these are some "prefix" what indicate some product revisions?

So I think we need continue more public discussions to push factory make good stop for modifications. We can teach them to do hack proof scopes. Maybe they make nearly "waterproof" next revision. (or this what I have now is just this).

Most good think what ever can do is that Dave take off this hack video becouse we do not really know what are different rev's scope. Of course everyone can make what ever "fun"videos but....
I think it is better to give public "how to do" information after really know more than just one own machine. Minimum is tell some kind of warning that it may be possible that it do not work for all units at all but it can also damage machine so that it is nearly difficult to find solution for take back. (It maybe can but not everyone maybe can do it). Peoples need also think responsibility littlebit more before put faces to all places and tell some information to peoples. But this is not how professional peoples do.

My recommendation is: Do NOT believe any of these hack instructions for your individual Rigol DS1052E.
If scope fails becouse hack, do NOT send damaged machines to Rigol warranty service, send them to guy who give instructions for hack.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:10:48 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #566 on: April 17, 2010, 05:46:42 am »

Someone was given this firmware by Rigol as being the "latest". No reports of seeing it in actual shipped units yet.

Dave.

I have not see any kind of  information for this. Please give some data for this, if it not just garbage information. Some tell that some friend tell and some see something and what ever.....  as long as there is not more information I think this is lie or disinformation.
Please give me true data, what Rigol organization and to who give FW 00.02.02.04 as new FW to Rigol DS1052E. (OR series DS1000E)

If there is not this true information then please tell that there are not any knowledge about new firmware after 00.02.02.02 (02.02.SP2)

Offline serif

« Reply #567 on: April 17, 2010, 06:43:54 am »
Should add that I downgraded to 00.02.01.01 then back to 00.02.02.02, and it did not make any difference to me. (Found files in RC Groups thread)

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
    • Dimlow Ponders
« Reply #568 on: April 17, 2010, 07:11:56 am »

Dave.

I have not see any kind of  information for this. Please give some data for this, if it not just garbage information. Some tell that some friend tell and some see something and what ever.....  as long as there is not more information I think this is lie or disinformation.
Please give me true data, what Rigol organization and to who give FW 00.02.02.04 as new FW to Rigol DS1052E. (OR series DS1000E)

If there is not this true information then please tell that there are not any knowledge about new firmware after 00.02.02.02 (02.02.SP2)

Im guessing with that kind of attitude the person that has the firmware would not want to give it to you. Maybe if you asked nicely then things would be different. Certainly if i was the person with the firmware id keep it from you!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #569 on: April 17, 2010, 07:25:28 am »

Watch EEVblog #77 coming shortly. I upgrade my scope to 2.04 and downgrade etc. The firmware exists.

Dave.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #570 on: April 17, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »
great and it retains the new model number doesn't it ?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #571 on: April 17, 2010, 02:29:15 pm »
great and it retains the new model number doesn't it ?

Yep, and video is now up.
Upgrade and downgrade as many times as you like and it always keeps the model number.

Dave.

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #572 on: April 17, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »
Anyone got a link to 2.04 ?

paul

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #573 on: April 17, 2010, 03:16:28 pm »
What are differencies between FW 0202SP2 and 0204?

always reading "detect lower version software ...." ??

same text if you upgrade to 02.04 or "down" to 02.02.SP2 ... strange?

As long as there is not any confirmation from Rigol factory or other trusted source I can only think this is some kind of joke.
Of course my opinion change just after there is some trusted (official) information about 02.04 FW upgrade to DS1000E series. ;)

In video I can not see this. Why?

maybe they sell different scopes to different part of world..hehe

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:59:57 pm by rf-loop »

Offline bushing

• Contributor
« Reply #574 on: April 17, 2010, 10:53:06 pm »
bushing: "No, he means something like http://www.xeltek.com/product.php?productid=17207."
oou. thats seem like a "parallel programmer" Dave talked about in his video. that would be completely dismantling the flash out of the board right? sorry, but i have to find another way around, i dont wanna risk with messing the flash hardware. this will be my last choice, if i cant find another way. and oou, the price is $995, wow, i can buy an authentic DS1102D with that (just add a little $$$). so it seem my last choice will be to buy a new rigol DSO or MSO. :) . thanx for the info though

You can call it by a number of different names, but something like a JTAG probe where you plug something into a PCB and program a flash chip while it is in the normal circuit is usually called an "in-circuit programmer"; I could see someone calling that an "internal programmer".  Something where you have to completely remove the flash chip would seem like the opposite of that; whether it uses parallel or serial is just an implementation detail.  Put differently,

JTAG probe:in-circuit programmer :: parallel programmer:external programmer

(At least, this is the best I can guess, given that we have people from all over the planet participating in this discussion. :))

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf