Author Topic: Questionable safety in youtube DIY spot welder build video  (Read 2713 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline filssavi

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 402
Questionable safety in youtube DIY spot welder build video
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:52:55 pm »
I'd like to know what is your opinion on the electrical safety of the diy project in question (video link below)



I would have liked to at least a fuse even a useless (and dangerous in that application) glass one would have been better than nothing
 

Offline Macbeth

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2562
  • Country: gb
Re: Questionable safety in youtube DIY spot welder build video
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:15:51 pm »
Perfectly fine. A glass fuse would be fantastic, I would love to see one. I prefer the replacement copper tips which do the job without any Elfen Safety bollocks.
 

Offline sleemanj

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2602
  • Country: nz
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Questionable safety in youtube DIY spot welder build video
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »
I don't really like the mains micro switch being so exposed like that, if it was me I'd have the trigger switch be low voltage back to a relay in the box, or at least use double-insulated mains cable to the switch and zip-tie it to the top bar.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)
 

Offline Nusa

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1894
  • Country: us
Re: Questionable safety in youtube DIY spot welder build video
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 10:45:02 pm »
It's one of those cases where a fuse doesn't add much, much like a kitchen toaster (ever see a fuse on those?), due to the pure simplicity of the device. But sure, adding a formal fuse on the primary side won't hurt. Or perhaps use a circuit breaker instead of a wall switch.

From the safety viewpoint, I'd actually be more concerned about the exposed high voltage wire going up to the handle switch. A little incidental damage to the insulation, and the user may get a nasty shock the next time he uses it.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf