Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 625067 times)

Offline jedreg

• Contributor
Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #775 on: December 28, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »
tinhead, thanx for explanation. I have just spotted in another thread where the killerwhale user successfully cracked FW 2.05, see this post (link), which makes me one step closer to the deal. Now I see how many amazing people is attracted to this forum.

If anyone of you bought Rigol on dealextreme.com please PM me and share experience. They sell this unit for $340 at the moment, which is cheapest price ever found. I am from EU so I do not bother warranty, so it can come directly from Hongkong, to give middle finger to local reseller who wants >$600.

cheers,
-andy.

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #776 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:25 pm »
If you ever need to open your Rigol up: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2092.0

alm

« Reply #777 on: January 14, 2011, 10:24:49 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up.

So it's a 1GS/s scope, as long as you treat it as a single channel scope with a short memory depth. 250MS/s brings it in the range of older generations with inadequate sample rate to prevent aliasing (unless they have a really steep roll-off of the input circuit, but most bandwidth measurements suggest that it's too shallow, and converting it to 100MHz makes it worse). If you want 1GS/s, 8kpts only lets you use the extra sample rate at the fastest sweep speeds, just like the older DSO's with short memory. So it's not actually that much better than the old generation, the only advantage is that you can choose your poison (aliasing due to inadequate sample rate or aliasing due to inadequate memory).

None of this is an issue if you don't stretch the limits of its frequency response, obviously, but why convert it to 100MHz if your signals don't come anywhere near that frequency?

The Instek GDS-1062 (IIRC 1GS/s for one channel with long memory, 500MS/s for two channels with long memory) now looks even better compared to the Rigol DS1052E.

Offline jedreg

• Contributor
« Reply #778 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:54 pm »
I just wanted to share good news, I am next happy user of Rigol. After 4 weeks the delivery from china from dealextreme.com has come as plain and cheap "air mail". I got my device well packed and working fine. I got 2.05 SP1 is waiting for firmware hacking ;)
Damn the national customs, I have to pay 23% tribute but still it sumes up to 2/3 or price of local reseller.

cheers,
andy.

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #779 on: March 04, 2011, 07:01:20 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I would like to purchase a Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope and modify it to a 100MHz DS1102E.

I've read all the messages up to page 28 and read how a terminal program on a PC can be connected to the RS232 port. And used to change the Model and Serial number, I shouldn't have any problems with doing that.

The messages were some time back. I wonder if Rigol have now changed the firmware so that you can't modify the DS1052E into a 100MHz oscilloscope.

Does anyone know if you are still able to modify the oscilloscope, or is there a new way to do this...  ???

Thanks for your help.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #780 on: March 04, 2011, 09:44:43 am »

I've read all the messages up to page 28 and read how a terminal program on a PC can be connected to the RS232 port. And used to change the Model and Serial number, I shouldn't have any problems with doing that.

RS232? changing the rigol DS1052E to DS1102E using USB , the dummy guide

IT simply depends with what firmware you get the rigol. if it's the latest then you cannot hack it for the moment
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #781 on: March 04, 2011, 11:53:08 am »
As I would have to assume that a newly purchased Rigol DS1052E would have the latest firmware, I guess I'll have to give up the thought of purchasing a Rigol to convert to 100MHz. :(

Is anyone looking at a Hack for the latest firmware.  :)

Thanks for your help.

Offline mga1103

« Reply #782 on: March 05, 2011, 02:51:25 am »
If you read the previous reply from Polossatik, you'll realise it doesn't matter when you get your Rigol.  It depends on what firmware is on the kit you receive!  If you want to check the version of firmware on your 1052E, follow the link in the previous post.  It tells you how to check the version of firmware you've got!

I received a 1052E last week and it's at a firmware version: 00.02.04.00.01, HW version 57  (Patchable!).

So, I guess it depends on the "luck of the draw"!  You could order it from a supplier that's got recent stock (thus, perhaps the latest hardware with the latest firmware) or they may have stock from God-knows-when, which may have older firmware versions.

Bottom line is, before you order/receive one, you've no way of knowing what firmware version you're likely to receive!

If you read the thread linked to in the previous post to the end, you may get the feeling that it's just a matter of time before someone finds a hack for the latest firmware version (just speculating  ;)).  (Still a good machine for the money even without the hack, IMHO).

Regards,
Martin.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:56:42 am by mga1103 »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #783 on: March 05, 2011, 11:39:40 am »
i'm looking forward people asking the oldest stock from seller, a rare occasion ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Russel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #784 on: March 06, 2011, 03:36:55 am »
I received a new DS1052E last Friday. Firmware version 00.02.05 SP2. Hardware version 58. I'm no expert with an oscilloscope, but I'm keeping my eye out for firmware bugs to report to Rigol and keeping my eye out for new hack developments.

Offline joh

• Contributor
« Reply #785 on: March 15, 2011, 04:23:39 pm »
Hello,

I have received my DS1052E today from DealExtreme. Looks like no hack for me at the moment. Details of my version below:

DS1ED125xxxxxx
Software: 00.02.05.02.00
DSP: 00.00
FPGA: 02.00
HardVersion: 58

Fingers crossed for the future.

John.

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #786 on: March 15, 2011, 06:03:24 pm »
That is the same oscilloscope that I have at my room.  The only component shielded, that I see on the board is the input end dual input channels amplifiers.  The class of oscilloscope is less priced like those lower bicycles for us here in the U.S.A.  I never can afford the analog oscilloscopes by Tektronix, when I went to electronics school, before geology school.  I did noticed the DC output on the power supply has a ribbon cable without a choke.  Some power supply outputs have chokes inside computers.  I totally still liked it a lot and it is my only one.  I have no access to universities anymore, that I graduated from them three to four years ago.  I am sure everyone seen Dave Jones's tear down of the Rigol DS1052E.

The oscilloscope is good enough for my hobby in 7400 TTL and straingages, seismographs.  Here is the complaint about the DC coupling in the square wave output in the DS1052E, but no solutions on the problem with the slight AC component in the square wave form along the flat peak portion.

Lawsen Lew

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #787 on: March 30, 2011, 06:59:45 pm »
Today I noticed interesting thing about bandwidth vs internal attenuator on my DS1102E (hardware modded).
Internal attenuator switches on at  250mV/div (and greater), you can hear relay click.

Look at animated gif  ;)

Offline beerhunter

• Contributor
« Reply #788 on: March 30, 2011, 09:36:58 pm »

The oscilloscope is good enough for my hobby in 7400 TTL and straingages, seismographs.  Here is the complaint about the DC coupling in the square wave output in the DS1052E, but no solutions on the problem with the slight AC component in the square wave form along the flat peak portion.

Hi Lew, I have the Rigol DS1052E up modded to 100 Mhz BW. I just tried your problem on my scope and it behaved as expected. No change from DC to AC coupling. The firmware in my unit is 00.02.04.00.03 HW57.

Try downmodding and then up modding to this firmware level as this is supposed to be the best with no bugs. Also has the help files working. But before that try and do a "factory" reset via the storage key and load it to factory default settings. Perhaps your machine just needs to be reset.

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #789 on: March 31, 2011, 07:54:38 am »

Offline tonva

« Reply #790 on: April 01, 2011, 04:53:49 pm »
I have received my DS1052E today from DealExtreme. Looks like no hack for me at the moment. Details of my version below:
DS1ED125xxxxxx
Software: 00.02.05.02.00
DSP: 00.00
FPGA: 02.00
HardVersion: 58

Yeah, the same for me. Seems we have to wait until Rigol guys release new firmware version (something like 00.02.05.03.00 ), as patch for downgrading to old good version 02.02 SP2 can be created only if an update of the current version exists. Hope they will do it soon.

Anthony

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #791 on: April 21, 2011, 08:41:32 am »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #792 on: April 21, 2011, 10:08:04 am »
congratulation! you made it continuing again until we see another 2.06 firmware ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #793 on: April 21, 2011, 11:16:38 am »
Do not worry, my friend!
I'll be here, waiting for the next challenge!

By the way, thank you for your efforts.

-George

[EDIT] And, I am sorry I misspelled your previous screen name in my first message at these discussion boards...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:22:34 am by A Hellene »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline flyingfrancisco

• Contributor
I Need Help
« Reply #794 on: May 04, 2011, 01:08:33 am »
Hello everyone
I just statred +to nod my DS1052eE from version 02.05. SP2 and I have hit a wall. I have installed the 02.02. SP2 but can't connect to the scope with UltraScope. When I try to connect it asks me to choose from  ASRL1-INSTR or ASRL10-INSTR but either one doesn't work. I get the error "Can't Read from Device" and when I click ok I get "Device not found" I have uninstalled ULtrascope that came with cd and uninstalled "Visa462runtime.exe" reinstalled them and get the same errors. I did not get a request to install drivers. What am I doing wrong.
Thx in advance to everyone

flyingfrancisco

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #795 on: May 04, 2011, 01:40:27 am »
have you tried upgrading to 2.04 firmware?

Offline flyingfrancisco

• Contributor
« Reply #796 on: May 04, 2011, 02:00:16 am »
Hello Mechatrommer
I am wondering if since I have gone from version 02.05 SP2 to 02.02 SP2 then perhaps the Ultrascope software that came with version 02.05 SP2 is not compatible with the downgraded version. What are your thoughts and by the way I am a bit limited compared to many of the software experts on this site.
flyingfrancisco

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: May 04, 2011, 02:06:45 am »
I am wondering if since I have gone from version 02.05 SP2 to 02.02 SP2 then perhaps the Ultrascope software that came with version 02.05 SP2 is not compatible with the downgraded version. What are your thoughts and by the way...
i dont know. but thats a possiblity. try older version ultrascope then is its compatible with 2.02, try:
1) upgrading/downgrading ultrascope
2) if cant work, change firmware version
3) do (1) again.
my 2cnts.

Offline flyingfrancisco

• Contributor
« Reply #798 on: May 04, 2011, 02:25:49 am »
Thx Mechatrommer
If I now upgrade to version 02.04 can i then change it to 100mega from that version?

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #799 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:35 am »
Make sure you haven't set the pc connection mode to pictbridge, i did that while playing first and then couldn't connect via ultrascope. The scope was actually installing automatically as an imaging device and it was giving the same two options you mentioned in ultrascope.
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf