Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 622664 times)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #575 on: April 18, 2010, 01:28:44 am »
As long as there is not any confirmation from Rigol factory or other trusted source I can only think this is some kind of joke.
Of course my opinion change just after there is some trusted (official) information about 02.04 FW upgrade to DS1000E series. ;)

AFAIK Rigol have never freely given out their firmware updates unless you ask specifically, so I suspect you won't find it on their website any time soon, or a formal announcement.
Why don't you go and ask them?

Dave.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #576 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:02 am »
I would think that the new firmware does not add any product improvements and was just to try and stop the hack ?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #577 on: April 18, 2010, 07:13:33 am »
As long as there is not any confirmation from Rigol factory or other trusted source I can only think this is some kind of joke.
Of course my opinion change just after there is some trusted (official) information about 02.04 FW upgrade to DS1000E series. ;)

AFAIK Rigol have never freely given out their firmware updates unless you ask specifically, so I suspect you won't find it on their website any time soon, or a formal announcement.

Dave.

I ask you becouse you are only who have publish this "new firmware". :)

And becouse update process show different as in Rigol upgrade note. (rigol note tell that it regognize if you are upgrading to up or down. But your video can not see text in scope display about upgrade to more new... )

I think if you publish something new info I can ask you some data about this publication.

Rigol is not right place to ask what is behind your publication.

I try ask agen from you. If you do not understand question please ask what I mean.
Do you have see ANY document or proofment that Rigol have make new FW to DS1000E series after 00.02.02.SP2? If you have, what?

I have not seen any info, not any Rigol scope with factory installed this new FW, not any information from Rigol, also you have not tell anything about this new FW source. Its truth value is absolutely just garbage as long as there is not any kind of proofment about this FW.
Everybody can change this version number. It takes just some seconds. So how you know (or is it believe) it is real FW Upgrade? I ask you becouse you are only who have published this and you are anly person who know some more truth about this. Only what I have seen is some short time ago official sides (Rigol China) and there was downloadable FW 00.02.02.SP2 and this was free open public place. This time now there is not any FW upgrade for DS1000E.

Ask Rigol... ask Rigol what EEVblog do? Or what?

I think it is better to ask EEVblog (Dave) what EEVblog (Dave) do.
You will be authenticated by what you publish. This is normal practice for this kind of things.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #578 on: April 18, 2010, 07:26:41 am »

Dave.

I suggest you learn some english first, you have clearly not understood dave and are now basically accusing him of producing his own firmware and claiming that it is rigols !

you need to contact Rigol
tell them you model number and serial number and ask for the latest firmware. they will email it to you

I ask you becouse you are only who have publish this "new firmware". :)

And becouse update process show different as in Rigol upgrade note. (rigol note tell that it regognize if you are upgrading to up or down. But your video can not see text in scope display about upgrade to more new... )

I think if you publish something new info I can ask you some data about this publication.

Rigol is not right place to ask what is behind your publication.

I try ask agen from you. If you do not understand question please ask what I mean.
Do you have see ANY document or proofment that Rigol have make new FW to DS1000E series after 00.02.02.SP2? If you have, what?

I have not seen any info, not any Rigol scope with factory installed this new FW, not any information from Rigol, also you have not tell anything about this new FW source. Its truth value is absolutely just garbage as long as there is not any kind of proofment about this FW.
Everybody can change this version number. It takes just some seconds. So how you know (or is it believe) it is real FW Upgrade? I ask you becouse you are only who have published this and you are anly person who know some more truth about this. Only what I have seen is some short time ago official sides (Rigol China) and there was downloadable FW 00.02.02.SP2 and this was free open public place. This time now there is not any FW upgrade for DS1000E.

Ask Rigol... ask Rigol what EEVblog do? Or what?

I think it is better to ask EEVblog (Dave) what EEVblog (Dave) do.
You will be authenticated by what you publish. This is normal practice for this kind of things.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #579 on: April 18, 2010, 10:58:31 am »
@RF-LOOP
I have explained this before.
I got the firmware from a viewer who got it directly from Rigol. I have no reason to doubt that the viewer and the firmware are genuine. The viewer was having issues with their scope and Rigol gave them the latest firmware to see if that would fix the issue.

You can doubt it all you like, I just present what I know and what I have been given and what is presumably available.
2.04 might not be the official version, I don't know, but it does prove that newer versions of the firmware have the fix in place to stop the hack, and that was the whole point.

Dave.

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #580 on: April 18, 2010, 01:10:22 pm »
An update. 

I restored the model/SN back to original.  Info screen all looked good, etc. for 1052E   I then re-applied the hack.  The info screen shows the model and s/n correct (as hacked) "DS1EB...", but still not able to get horiz faster than 5 nS.

Could there be a HW check in newer models ?

My s/n is 121303000

paul

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #581 on: April 18, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »
but are you using a fast rise signal to do the test ? you will only get the 3.5 nS rise time if the actual rise time of your signal is 3.5 nS or less

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #582 on: April 18, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
My update continues.  I discovered that on the info screen it was listed as 1102E and not DS1102E.  Using the :INFO:MODEL command, I was unable to get the DS.. to stick.  It took several times of rolling back to DS1052E with the appropriate s/n change back, and reapplying the hack, but finally it all went well.  Now it displays DS1102E and finally 2 nS sweep is working.  Last I upgraded to 2.04

All is good today

paul

Offline embedded

« Reply #583 on: April 18, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »
May I suggest as many people as possible download the firmware at rcgroups.

"Contains firmware updates from July'09 for the 1000D and 1000E Rigol scopes. Along with an instructional PDF from 2008. To avoid problems, please check with Rigol to ensure your scope S/N is compatible, before updating."

Please repost outside the US. ;)

(Naturally A number of people will have this downloaded for later use perhaps in a country like Canada.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:10:28 pm by embedded »
-----------------------------------------------
If it wasn't hard we would not be paid to do it.
VE3GYV, KF5AFJ

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #584 on: April 19, 2010, 04:56:37 am »
I will thank you (dimlow) share it in RC.

Before (example SP2 version) there can not find (I can not find) Rigol model number 1204B inside FW file. Now there is.

(of course also lot of other differencies)

;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:59:05 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
  • Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
« Reply #585 on: April 19, 2010, 06:24:06 am »
You weren't supposed to look there! ;D Go put it back. :o

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #586 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »
My Russian is none too good, so Google translate had... um,... amusing results.

earthen crocodile

I assume is a grounded alligator clip. That reminds me of when our reports to Japan said the conductor was shorted and the translation was the conductor was not tall.

My DS1052E should be here Wed and -- of course -- I have a late appointment Wed :-(

Riko on eBay is having a "special" and told me to put $432 in the make offer box, so that was what I paid (free UPS shipping in the US). A little more than Deal Extreme, but they were back ordering and I'm betting the next scope from DX has unupgradable firmware. Yes, yes, that's speculation mind you. But the fact that DX told several of us "production has stopped" makes me think they are blowing out distribution with the special and then will start moving "locked" scopes when they start shipping again.

Same think happened, I think, with the ZeroPlus Logic Cube logic analyzer. They made the FPGA ground all inputs not allowed for the model. Too bad I missed that one :-)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #587 on: April 19, 2010, 06:29:38 pm »
Dave really has me sold on the capacity of this scope.  I still use my old Trio 5 MHz analog scope I used in the 1980s.

Can anyone confirm what Dave mentions in the video:

That shipments of the Rigel are on HOLD, pending Rigel applying a firmware fix so it cannot be hacked into the 100 MHz version?

:(
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline angelo

• Contributor
« Reply #588 on: April 19, 2010, 06:47:24 pm »
I ordered from www.getbetterlife.com on the 9th and received it this afternoon (19th...10 days total, 3 in customs) to Canada. They had a large volume of stock when I asked so I suggest you try them. They are very cheap, $386 but you have to pay $53 for EMS shipping and it comes to about $414 CAD. Anyways they packed it very, very professionally in a lot of bubble wrap, Styrofoam etc. They are currently shipping 2.02 SP2.  I tried the scope out and it seems to function perfectly, Have not tried hack yet, but since I don't have need of the 100Mhz I will hold off for a bit. Rigol and deal extreme may have stopped shipments but those re-sellers with back-stock may still sell them.

Even though getbetterlife mostly sells tattoo and nail salon stuff they sell oscilloscopes as well haha....they were very responsive to my emails and seem pretty legit in my opinion.

jump on it if you dont want to miss out

Offline clonecrp

• Regular Contributor
    • http://theclonestore.com
« Reply #589 on: April 20, 2010, 02:38:47 am »
Hi ! Do you have links to the Rigol FW + Docs?

Thanks! Doug

Offline bushing

• Contributor
« Reply #590 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:32 am »
My Russian is none too good, so Google translate had... um,... amusing results.

Mine's a bit rusty, but I'll see if I can clean up Google's work a bit:

Yesterday, Sasha (aka Alex_lv) and I worked on hacking a Rigol DS1052E into a DS1102E.  We used test signal generators (Tektronix SG503, Tektronix PG506) and 50-ohm load (by Tektronix), all controlled by a Tektronix 2567A.  In general, everything is working adequately with the Rigol (except of course the implementation of sinx / x).  It's a nice little machine with 00.02.02 SP2 installed.

The band at -3dB 146MHz has a rise time of 2.4 ... 2.48ns (at rise-time generator, <1ns), a fall-time of 5ns (the generator's fall-time is not normalized, the 2467 shows 5ns), if one takes the inverted signal from PG506 (Fast Rise Output Falling) the fall-time is  2.4 ... 2.48ns. The internal frequency counter can make mistakes in the last digit (depending on the shape of the signal) was also observed with a bug, sometimes it can show exactly twice the frequency, compared to the standard Fluke PM6685.

[...]
As well as sweat for all the leads that came to hand [?!], all the probes are compensated, measured with a needle to minimize inductance and get the correct results but also from the grounded alligatr clip in order to see how it affects the inductance for each of the probe.
(Actually, it *does* literally say "grounded crocodile!"!)

Same think happened, I think, with the ZeroPlus Logic Cube logic analyzer. They made the FPGA ground all inputs not allowed for the model. Too bad I missed that one :-)

Sort of.  I think it's coincidence, the "reaction" was too quick when you're talking about modifying actual chips.   You can still extend the sample depth to 128 Ksamples (in software), and I've even extended it to 2Msamples/channel by replacing the SRAM chip -- see http://lostscrews.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=84

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: April 20, 2010, 11:23:39 am »
Are there any information about FW 02.04 changes after 02.02.SP2
What I can see there is some change in DSP module: rev 2.15 => 2.20

Do anybody know anything about DS1000E series factory / service calibration procedure. (I do not mean normal end user selfcal)
How to start this procedure etc...  End users "service manual" do not tell anything about it. (of course).

Offline shtoz

• Contributor
« Reply #592 on: April 20, 2010, 05:25:58 pm »
bushing, not bad translation :)
As well as sweat for all the leads that came to hand [?!]
I tested all probes floating around me :)
Test was with and without ground lead.
Yesterday i try 02.04, LCD refresh rate is bigger, nothing else, sinx/x problem nor resolved.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #593 on: April 20, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »
02.04 give faster screen updates ? the 02.02 firmaware is horibly slow above 100mS/div

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #594 on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:08 am »
Um, 100ms/div would take 1.2 second just to capture the data with 12 divisions shown (hiding the menu)......

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #595 on: April 22, 2010, 01:04:17 am »
Another success story with the .02 firmware. Works great. Now I'll be motivated to fix all that stuff I've been putting off.

The only problem I've run into is that XP running in Virtual Box doesn't want to load the Rigol USB drivers. Not sure if it is because I had National Instruments driver (which finds the scope by the way) or if it some weirdness with VirtualBox/Linux. But regardless I'm not so keen on Ultrascope anyway.

Thanks for the videos Dave.

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #596 on: April 22, 2010, 02:54:18 am »
Is there an alternative to Ultrascope or 64bit drivers for it?  Running Win7 64bit and there is only 32bit drivers provided.
Mark Higgins

Offline marianoapp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #597 on: April 22, 2010, 03:41:20 am »
download and install this http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1605/lang/en

you can also mod the scope through usb with that

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #598 on: April 22, 2010, 07:58:07 am »
361 MB  :o

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #599 on: April 22, 2010, 11:57:37 am »
I did some more experimenting with Ultrascope last night. The VID/PID for the Rigol looks different on my VirtualBox setup. I changed the .inf file to suit and it allowed the drivers to load and I see the scope in device manager. However, Ultrascope never did work. RS232 doesn't work either (although in Linux the usbtmc interface works so the scope works).

So I tried it on a dual boot laptop with Vista. At first didn't work until I loaded the right version of the VISA drivers. But even then it didn't work right. The "Virtual Panel" works well. But trying to load a waveform to a datasheet causes the program to disconnect from the scope and tells me "Unable to read data from device" or some such.

Ultrascope isn't a deal breaker. But it bugs me that I can't make it work. And the virtual panel is reasonable enough. However, if I were going to really use it I need it to work under Linux or Windows in Virtual Box and that looks like a no go.

I'm surprised COMEDI doesn't support usbtmc (http://www.comedi.org/). If it did, you could use xoscope under Linux. I haven't found any "scope-like" software that talks usbtmc on Linux which seems odd.

Oh one other thing. On the Linux/VirtualBox side, the scope shows RMT so it hears the PC. It just doesn't work well enough to connect. Why it doesn't work with serial though is a mystery. I haven't found anything else that would not work across serial in VirtualBox. I'll have to experiment with that more later.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:14:01 pm by wd5gnr »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf