Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 622573 times)

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #600 on: April 22, 2010, 01:42:41 pm »
download and install this http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1605/lang/en

you can also mod the scope through usb with that

Thanks a lot.  That worked.

361 MB  :o
It comes with a whole load of crap that you don't actually need to install.  A lot of development support and examples.
Mark Higgins

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #601 on: April 22, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »

361 MB  :o
It comes with a whole load of crap that you don't actually need to install.  A lot of development support and examples.

Yeah, but that's a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

You still have to download 361MB to get the piddling driver... NONSENSE

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #602 on: April 23, 2010, 02:13:11 am »
Hey I noticed something. On 2.02SP2 or whatever if you held a button down for a few seconds it would pop up a help screen on that button's feature. In 2.04 that seems to be gone? Or is there some other reason that quit working I wonder? It still looks like it is trying to load something the first time but it doesn't work.

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #603 on: April 23, 2010, 02:26:00 am »
download and install this http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1605/lang/en

you can also mod the scope through usb with that

So what exactly comes off of there? I was experimenting with this -- when I let the Rigol device get installed as an NI Test instrument the NI tools can find it (yep, even under VirtualBox) but there's no "scope" unless you write something in LabView (and even then it wouldn't really be a real scope). But with the Rigol drivers Ultrascope "sees" it but can't complete the operation to connect (in VirtualBox/XP; in Vista it works except for Data Sheets).

Duh, nevermind its the VISAxxx.DLL file I guess. So interesting that the NI usbtmc driver runs ok in XP on VirtualBox but the Rigol driver does not.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:59:50 am by wd5gnr »

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #604 on: April 23, 2010, 03:59:19 am »
Hey I noticed something. On 2.02SP2 or whatever if you held a button down for a few seconds it would pop up a help screen on that button's feature. In 2.04 that seems to be gone? Or is there some other reason that quit working I wonder? It still looks like it is trying to load something the first time but it doesn't work.

I just reflashed 2.02 and verified that the help messages come back. I wonder if 2.04 is "unreleased" and has no localized help or something? On the other hand, who needs help on a scope? ;-) But I couldn't resist finding out. I didn't see much difference between 2.04 and 2.02 other than "flashability".

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #605 on: April 23, 2010, 11:48:31 am »
Well big senior moment. I had reported earlier that I could not get the scope to work in VirtualBox and Linux. But it does work...if you get the right software.

There were three things that were key, I think. Hopefully this will help someone else:

1) Latest NI Drivers: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1605/lang/en

2) The Rigol USB drivers have the wrong USB ID or something on Linux is changing the ID (vendor=1ab1,pid=0588 in Linux/VirtualBox, the Rigol.inf file vendor=0400,PID=05dc). Of course, I was so smart, I changed the INF file and got it mostly working. WRONG. Use the NI driver. What that means is in Device manager, it should say "USB Test and Measurement Device" *NOT* "Rigol USB Test and Measurement Device". If you already have the Rigol drive installed, do an update driver, tell it to Install from a list and "Don't search I will choose the driver to install." If you have the NI stuff installed you should see two choices: Rigol USB Test and Measurement Device and USB Test and Measurement Device. You want the one WITHOUT Rigol in the name.

3) The VISA version of Ultrascope (this was my big mistake, using the "regular" version). See http://www.rigol.com/templates/T_Support_en/resources.aspx?nodeid=639&contentid=1582. Even on a "plain" Vista install the regular version had small issues.

Of course, for Virtualbox, you need to go to the Devices menu and "connect" the Rigol USB device (this one will say Rigol and that's ok). You can also change your setup to add it automatically, but I'm going to assume you know how to do that.

Of course, I probably will never use the software but I wanted to make it work. I'm funny that way as are, I bet, a lot of us.

8)
Cool!

P.S. Screen shot at http://www.hotsolder.com/2010/04/rigol-ultrascope-under-linux-with-virtualbox.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:13:13 pm by wd5gnr »

Offline birlan97

« Reply #606 on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »
May I suggest as many people as possible download the firmware at rcgroups.

"Contains firmware updates from July'09 for the 1000D and 1000E Rigol scopes. Along with an instructional PDF from 2008. To avoid problems, please check with Rigol to ensure your scope S/N is compatible, before updating."

Please repost outside the US. ;)

(Naturally A number of people will have this downloaded for later use perhaps in a country like Canada.)

Where I found this firmware - I'd like to modify mine to DS1102E and with my current firmware I can't

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #607 on: April 25, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »
Can't prove this, mind you, but I have two anecdotal reports of people trying to do the upgrade and it would not "take" solving the problem by making sure the scope was on the system information page before they performed the upgrade. Now, of course, with just two samples it could just be random. But I did mine from the system info screen and it "took" the first time. I know on the 2.04/2.02 video demo, Dave does it from the system info screen.

So not scientific but if you are having trouble with it "taking", maybe try that. Like I say may have been the resolution to two other people who had that problem.

Offline vr2whf

• Contributor
« Reply #608 on: May 02, 2010, 07:32:31 pm »
Just spot a difference in the analog front-end between DS1052E and DS1102E

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/rigol1052vs1102.jpg/

According to the picture provided by this guy, the primary difference is the DS1102E uses the B3GA4.5Z relay to replace the smaller relay COSMO Y214S used by DS1052E.

I don't know if there is any performance difference in these analog front-end circuits.

Offline mxmxmx

• Contributor
« Reply #609 on: May 02, 2010, 07:57:27 pm »

However I wonder whether this is really a difference between the DS1052E and the DS1102E or merely a difference between hardware (sub)revisions. If Rigol really made the effort to build different frontends for the scopes why didn't they hardwire the band-pass that defines the bandwidth? It makes no sense to me having frontends with different hardware on the one hand but on the other hand implementing the model selection via software.

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #610 on: May 03, 2010, 06:48:05 am »

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/rigol1052vs1102.jpg/

According to the picture provided by this guy, the primary difference is the DS1102E uses the B3GA4.5Z relay to replace the smaller relay COSMO Y214S used by DS1052E.

I don't know if there is any performance difference in these analog front-end circuits.

We've known about that for quite some time.  :-)

I know the thread is long, but it's in here.  My DS1052E has the same parts as the DS1102E, it's a later revision than Dave's (pictured) scope.  If you look far enough, you'll see that I drew up a schematic of what I believed the difference was at the time, and later another user corrected things I had missed.  There is a filter with a diode cutoff.. using two control voltages the filter can either be enabled or disabled by reverse biasing the diode or not.  This user even tested the control voltages before/after modification and verified that this is the sole control on the analog front-end (I believe).  He was the first person to do the software mod by serial port.  User JimBeam, I think, Dave credited his real name in his first mod video.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #611 on: May 04, 2010, 03:04:00 pm »
Most of oscilloscopes what I know have "service calibration" or what ever name they use.

I think there is some way how factory (or service) run special calibration process after new scope HW is ready. After HW production every scope need maybe some individual parameters. My opinion is that normal "selfcal" do not all these.

How to enter this special mode? (if there is any)

I have look many times FW but can not find any good idea how.

Maybe scope have some special startup (example startup with some keys pressed (many different machines have some "hidden" way to do some service specials) or something else or some command via USB or serial port)

How we can find these?

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

alm

« Reply #612 on: May 04, 2010, 04:00:56 pm »
Most of oscilloscopes what I know have "service calibration" or what ever name they use.

I think there is some way how factory (or service) run special calibration process after new scope HW is ready. After HW production every scope need maybe some individual parameters. My opinion is that normal "selfcal" do not all these.
Agreed, it's likely that the scope needs external signals for this, the selfcal is just to compensate offsets generated by temperature differences.

How to enter this special mode? (if there is any)

I have look many times FW but can not find any good idea how.

Maybe scope have some special startup (example startup with some keys pressed (many different machines have some "hidden" way to do some service specials) or something else or some command via USB or serial port)

How we can find these?
I would expect them to be initiated from USB/serial, since they'd want to automate it as much as possible. If you're lucky, it might be the same procedure as used for annual calibration at a cal lab, this should be documented in the service/calibration manual (is there such a thing? gotta love Chinese companies and documentation). It might be documented for the Agilent version of the scope (although the Agilent firmware is not the same, so it could be different), HP/Agilent is usually quite good at documentation. If the initial calibration is a different process, it's unlikely to be documented, and I expect it would be hard to reverse-engineer this, since it'll probably need specific signals and specified steps.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #613 on: May 04, 2010, 04:27:28 pm »
the self cal will also compensate for self generated signal the scope picks up. when I removed the "shield" I had put around the power supply the trace had a negative offset and i had to recallibrate the scope as i had to when I put the shield on

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #614 on: May 04, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »
It might be documented for the Agilent version of the scope (although the Agilent firmware is not the same, so it could be different), HP/Agilent is usually quite good at documentation.

Hum, I aasume the DSO1002A is the one that is supposed to be the Agilent version of the Rigol DS1052E ?
They look quite similar from setup/build, but the specs are quite different.

"2 GSa/s sample rate half channel, 1 GSa/s each channel " rigol : 1GSa/s for one channel or 500MSa/channel when using "deep" memory

same for the " 20 kpts memory half channel, 10 kpts each channel " vs "16 kpts one channel, 8kpts/channel when using 2 channels" for the rigol.

I assume "half channel" is the Agilent terminology of using "half of the channels available (= 1 channel)?
I can't find any reference on the Agilent site about something like the Rigol's "1Mpts long Memory Depth"...

Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

alm

« Reply #615 on: May 04, 2010, 08:06:42 pm »
Seems like the Agilent DSO1000 is more like the Rigol DG1000A/B series, but I wouldn't expect them to change the protocol at every revision.

The Agilent service manual only contains the performance check, however, so it's not much help (although completing the performance check would be a start). No calibration info, not even a simplified block diagram of the system. I'd be quite disappointed if I paid Agilent serious money for this.

I'd be careful to start any calibration routine without proper documentation, even if you could reverse-engineer or guess the commands. You don't know what signals the scope expects, and what the requirements are. What if the first step is erasing any previous calibration data? The actual knowledge that it will meet its specs is probably you only get buy buying an actual DG1102E.

Offline Grapsus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #616 on: May 06, 2010, 06:46:26 pm »
I just got my DS1052E from dealextreme :
- 390$
- ordered on 4/23, shipped on 4/28 and received on 5/6 which seems good, I only paid 15$ extra to get EMS shipping
- the certificate says it was manufactured on 4/20
- firmware was 00.02.04
- I went back to 00.02.02 SP2, did the hack and returned to 00.02.04 (got files from rcgroups)

Thank you guys! This scope is awesome :D

Offline cqmiao

• Contributor
« Reply #617 on: May 08, 2010, 02:35:06 am »
My ds1052e version is 00.01.03,can it to change 100MHZ?
My english is too bad~~

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #618 on: May 08, 2010, 02:50:03 am »
My ds1052e version is 00.01.03,can it to change 100MHZ?

I'd upgrade the firmware to 00.02.02 SP2 as this one is known to work.

Offline cqmiao

• Contributor
« Reply #619 on: May 08, 2010, 05:25:54 am »
Could you send me a 00.02.02 SP2 firmware?
my email : cqmiao@hotmail.com 
THANKS~
My english is too bad~~

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #620 on: May 08, 2010, 06:40:03 am »
http://www.box.net/shared/et7ztaxauf
(this is official (old 02.02.SP2) upgrade package from Rigol to DS1000D and DS1000E model.)

here is whole package. STOP: Read first upgrade manual inside this package, even if you think you know all things.

(Important: Do NOT use D upgrade to E model!!! )

(If you have example DS1052E, move alone only DS1000EUpdate.RGL file to empty USB memory root. (USB memory need be FAT32 format))

Disclaimer: Only Rigol can tell you if you can upgrade or downgrade your individual machine to some FW version. If it works in one machine or ten machines it do NOT proof that it works with you machine. Some machines now, before, or future may be incompatible with some FW versions! So if someone upgrade or downgrade his scope without asking compatability he take just his own risk and he is just responsible alone if there is some bad effects or in worst case whole scope is just like garbage. (look example member "shafri" case. But this is becouse he maybe do many errors aftter errors and finalize whole error queue with wrong FW)!

Rigol Upgrade note:
6. Before the upgrade, please contact RIGOL Technical and Support Department to confirm whether the current firmware version can be upgraded to the target version or not. ©Copyright RIGOL Technologies,  

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:08:31 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #621 on: May 08, 2010, 10:22:24 am »
from what i can remember... the problem occured before i upgraded to D version... while playing around with Serial Command. + E and D version are binari'ly 80% similar in content, maybe its just some data or splash screen bitmap at the end that makes them different... who knows? and when i reverted back to E version, the problem still remains ???

OK... if you people need an advice? just dont upgrade your rigol whatsoever, just use it as is out of rigol factory... unless... during your project development... u are hit by 100MHz barrier... and after that, just prepare to whatever come out of your modified rigol.

version 1 or version 2? whether u need an upgrade? just ask yourself whether your rigol satisfiy you so far, or at least works as it should be. if the answer is yes... then dont give a damn on the latest firmware. sometime latest firmware will not do any good... just as ver 02.04 proved it.

most people (including me), will be very happy when they switch on their rigol and showing ver: "the latest hunky funky" SP4, and be able to go down to 2ns timescale, but practically... it is very small/seldom use or nothing at all or even worst!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:33:55 am by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #622 on: May 08, 2010, 10:42:03 am »
anyway... if someone really generous enough and care to answer some of my curiosity here:
other than EEPROM data...

is it possible to corrupt/modify the software inside the CPLD/FPGA? are they meant to be changed in circuit?
or is it a "software" inside? or something else "digital" or "hardware" thing inside?
is it possible to corrupt/modify the bootloader inside the BlackFin?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:47:11 am by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #623 on: May 08, 2010, 12:41:28 pm »
I hope some day we find enough knowledge about possible factory calibration procedure. If there is any, it may solve you problem.
(I can still believe (hope) your scope can get its functinality back without opening case and hang around main board.)

There may be some method how factory or repair sevice can load some important parameters to scope (I do not believe that normal user selfcal can do all this). Maybe there is "hidden" service calibration  what can develop all needed parameters. It is not only how to start this possible service/cal routine but also of course need know what kind of signals it need for calibration. (of course it is also possible that there is not this kind of routine what is very common in professional equipments.)

---------------------------

There is also one mysterious command.

:SYSSERVICE ON

(Do NOT try)

Offline Grapsus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #624 on: May 08, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only known problem caused by firmware upgrade was on shafri's scope, because he messed up with the D series file. So what's so dramatic about downgrading one's scope to perform the hack?

There are several reasons why 100 MHz BW is better :
- Even a slower signal often has > 100 MHz harmonics, thus it's representation will be more accurate on a 100 MHz scope.
- It's very frustrating to have 100 MHz hardware with software restrictions...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf