Author Topic: The scariest video you have ever watched in the name of science  (Read 3301 times)

Offline rbola35618Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
The scariest video you have ever watched in the name of science
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:53:24 am »
Video of the tower climber. These guys have the biggest pairs of X$#&s. I would never ever have the courage to do this type of job  :scared:.

My hat goes off to them for keeping our communication up and going.

Robert
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:05:48 am by rbola35618 »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: The scariest video you have ever watched in the name of science
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:16:37 am »
only if your afraid of height, i mean yes they recognize the dangers present, e.g. the wind, possible rain, etc, but none of them have vertigo or are concerned on the height they are at,

Offline rbola35618Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:22:46 am »
What scare me is the free climbing. If their hands slip, they are a goner. A mistake will cause there death. I saw a report where they had a high accident rate because they were being pressured to do alot of tower under a certain number of days. 

http://scienceblogs.com/thepumphandle/2012/05/29/weathering-heights-the-lives-and-deaths-of-communications-tower-climbers/

They have my respect.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:26:19 am by rbola35618 »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:01 am »
I am cautious of heights, but flying in an open cockpit is no problem......... Sitting in a chopper and looking up at the sea and down at the sky was interesting, especially in a 16 ton aircraft that I was just changing parts in and going along with the pilots for a test flight/training run in. They were bored from spending a 2 hour wait in the sun while I was assisting walking them around with a ground compass and a theodolite to adjust the magnetic compasses. Engines running, but no collective so they were literally being cooked in jet exhaust inside while I was outside getting a tan. Poor guy in the tail though had no fun, cooking in an oven and lying inside with only the feet sticking out while i shouted out the readings to him from 3m away.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:09:43 am »
If their hands slip, they are a goner.
I thought there is a standard safety procedure that they must use the safety harness that needs to be hooked and moved, so hands slips should not make them free fall.  :-//

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:17:27 am »
This video was posted on another thread and someone had pointed out that the guy was in trouble. They were supposed to use safety harnesses.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline res1492

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:39:03 pm »
 no way you'd get me up there without a parachute :phew:

Offline ptricks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:43:36 pm »
Scary stuff !
My grandfather was a line man for florida power in the USA when it was just created. I have a pic of him and 9 other guys standing in front of the work truck with the sign  Florida Power on the side and the #1 painted on the door with a paint brush.  Now they operate with millions of customers and hundreds of trucks.

Scariest thing I have seen is the guys that fly with a helicopter to the top of high tension lines, they get close enough to connect the helicopter frame to the lines with a probe without the blades or the frame contacting the lines while the worker gets out and does the repair, then they come back and pick the guy up the same way.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:49:22 pm by ptricks »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf