Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 641784 times)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #1825 on: October 30, 2019, 07:44:47 am »
Marketing by a dyslexic - who sold his soul to Santa.  |O

I'm dyslexic and ADHD but have never made a mistake on a domain name.......

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1826 on: October 30, 2019, 05:57:48 pm »
Marketing by a dyslexic - who sold his soul to Santa.  |O

I'm dyslexic and ADHD but have never made a mistake on a domain name.......

You haven't been brainwashed by a brain-dead "company" (pile of shambles).
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #1827 on: October 31, 2019, 02:06:46 am »
Guessing at this point its more your in marketing and willing to work for minimum wage.

There a ghost ship at this point from the looks of it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:09:57 am by orion242 »

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1828 on: October 31, 2019, 01:33:08 pm »
They "updated" all their history

for example, sonicAnarchy anounces new CEO https://sonicenergy.com/ubeam-announces-new-ceo/

Not sure why it's a new CEO, as I can't find anyone before him :)

They forgot to change the webpage address though ;)

Wonder if they try to remove Perry's name from the patents?, they removed any press release mentioning her.

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1829 on: October 31, 2019, 06:39:37 pm »
OurCrowd is reinvesting in uBeam (which recently rebranded to SonicEnergyTM) in an up-to-$7.5M Series 1 recapitalization round led by Upfront Ventures, a leading Los Angeles-based VC with investments in companies such as Bird (recently valued at $2.5B by Sequoia), Goat (recently raised $100M from Footlocker) and Ring (acquired by Amazon for over $1B).

uBeam seeks to deliver Always-On Wireless EnergyTM at a distance, utilizing ultra-safe ultrasonic technology to deliver reliable, wire-free charging. uBeam has developed proprietary transducers, transmitters, receivers, and custom enterprise software. The company plans to deliver wireless power to a wide range of electronic devices in the high growth Internet of Things (IoT) sector, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, industrial and home.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1830 on: November 01, 2019, 12:09:05 am »
Guessing at this point its more your in marketing and willing to work for minimum wage.

There a ghost ship at this point from the looks of it.

They are the Titanic. Snapped in half at the bottom of the ocean of reality rotting away from marketing bacteria and we are simply the subs exploring the wreck.

OurCrowd is reinvesting in uBeam (which recently rebranded to SonicEnergyTM) in an up-to-$7.5M Series 1 recapitalization round led by Upfront Ventures, a leading Los Angeles-based VC with investments in companies such as Bird (recently valued at $2.5B by Sequoia), Goat (recently raised $100M from Footlocker) and Ring (acquired by Amazon for over $1B).

uBeam seeks to deliver Always-On Wireless EnergyTM at a distance, utilizing ultra-safe ultrasonic technology to deliver reliable, wire-free charging. uBeam has developed proprietary transducers, transmitters, receivers, and custom enterprise software. The company plans to deliver wireless power to a wide range of electronic devices in the high growth Internet of Things (IoT) sector, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, industrial and home.

And you can't raise the Titanic cause that would only make it crumble further. ::) ;D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #1831 on: November 03, 2019, 03:31:20 am »
OurCrowd is reinvesting in uBeam in an up-to-$7.5M Series

:palm:

$hitsville

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1832 on: November 03, 2019, 07:48:39 am »

Link for this?

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1833 on: November 03, 2019, 08:43:28 am »

Link for this?

you need to register with ourCrowd to get these emails ;).
It's a down round, the typical incentives to do these for investors are 2
1. you may be able to save your previous investment if they raise enough, or at least delay admitting your losses (good money going after bad).
2. With typical ratchets and pay to play stuff, if you don't invest, you're essentially out.

The crowd is investors in old rounds and vultures.

Note outcrowd are not bragging on their uBeam investment, it's not the stuff that brings new investors on board.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1834 on: November 03, 2019, 10:09:03 am »
I don't understand who keeps pouring money into these doomed ventures.  Some kind of investment scam where the top execs get out in profit, or do they genuinely believe it will go well?

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1835 on: November 03, 2019, 06:04:54 pm »
Yep, it's a down round, raising $7.5m on a pre money valuation of $20m

https://liesandstartuppr.blogspot.com/2019/11/ubeam-is-now-sonic-energy-and-raising.html

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, thm_w

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1836 on: November 04, 2019, 01:35:16 am »
Yep, it's a down round, raising $7.5m on a pre money valuation of $20m

https://liesandstartuppr.blogspot.com/2019/11/ubeam-is-now-sonic-energy-and-raising.html

While the wireless charging market is growing at a CAGR of over 40% and expected to reach ~$21B by 2023, it remains largely untapped due to current technological limitations with induction-based charging methods and many power-at-a-distance technologies being limited by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). uBeam claims that it has a patent-protected ultrasound technology that is FCC approved and safely transmits wireless power at a distance. IHS Markit also forecasts that by 2030 there will be 125 billion electronic devices that will need safe and always-on power. The largest vertical in this growth market is in IoT (smart home, aerospace, automotive, healthcare, commercial, etc.). uBeam is focused on this space, having already secured POCs with three global tier-1 Original Equipment Manufacturers in the aerospace and electronic device verticals, while also working to provide software and support, enabling potential partners and clients to monitor and run large networks of wireless energy.

What's a POC?
Proof Of Concept?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1837 on: November 04, 2019, 01:57:01 am »
What's a POC?
Proof Of Concept?
It usually means proof of concept, but it could be pile of cash in a fund raising context.  :)

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1838 on: November 04, 2019, 02:21:16 am »
The might think they're POCs but they're POSs really.

enabling potential partners and clients to monitor and run large networks of wireless energy.

:-DD
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1839 on: November 04, 2019, 02:32:51 pm »

... uBeam claims that it has a patent-protected ultrasound technology that is FCC approved and safely transmits wireless power at a distance. ...

An interesting use of weasel words lurking in there I think.

When the people pushing your investment say that you 'claim to have' something instead of simply saying that you 'have' it you know that you're wandering into the wrong territory. Patent ownership and FCC approval are pretty black and white, you either have them or you don't, and a related party feeling the need to qualify that with 'claims' ought really to ring alarm bells.

Perhaps it's just terrible writing and they meant to say instead,

... uBeam has patent-protected ultrasound technology that is FCC approved and claims that it safely transmits wireless power at a distance. ...

but somehow I suspect it's deliberate.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1840 on: November 05, 2019, 06:43:41 am »

An interesting use of weasel words lurking in there I think.

When the people pushing your investment say that you 'claim to have' something instead of simply saying that you 'have' it you know that you're wandering into the wrong territory. Patent ownership and FCC approval are pretty black and white, you either have them or you don't, and a related party feeling the need to qualify that with 'claims' ought really to ring alarm bells.

Transmission of ultrasound through the air is not regulated by the FCC. It is regulated by the FDA even for non-medical use. Any FCC approvals needed, IMO, would be the same as would be required for any electronic device and not specifically for wireless power transmission.

When I look at the patent portfolio for uBeam, the last transducer patents still had my name on them. When I compare the transducers I see from the website and demos, they do not resemble the structures described in that IP. So you can have IP, and you can have transducers, and say that in the same sentence when those two items have no, or limited, relation to one another.

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1841 on: November 05, 2019, 06:59:07 am »

... uBeam claims that it has a patent-protected ultrasound technology that is FCC approved and safely transmits wireless power at a distance. ...

[/quote]

I searched the FCC database for approvals for uBeam, SonicEnergy, SonicEnegry - the FCC does not seem to be aware of these approvals.
http://
I also don't see why would they need an FCC approval, given they don't make a radio transmitter.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1842 on: November 05, 2019, 09:31:37 am »
Be afraid...

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1843 on: November 05, 2019, 10:08:49 am »
Last draft of add....

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1844 on: November 07, 2019, 10:13:55 pm »
Not going to do it in-house?

Offline jrs45

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1845 on: December 17, 2019, 05:06:59 pm »
Looks like ubeam/"sonicengery" will be at CES:

https://ces20.mapyourshow.com/8_0/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=T0014447

Anyone want to check it out for us?

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1846 on: December 17, 2019, 05:52:30 pm »
Its a suite, not a booth.
These usually are invitation only ....

Offline jrs45

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1847 on: December 19, 2019, 05:20:49 pm »
Its a suite, not a booth.
These usually are invitation only ....

Nah, most of the suites allow walk-ins, or people can ask for appointments.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1848 on: December 20, 2019, 05:29:42 pm »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Kean, sdpkom

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1849 on: December 20, 2019, 06:48:58 pm »
Nice catch,

I don't think the downround happened.
And I find it hard to imagine why would someone invest in a company without a CEO.

I think acting CEO=liquidator.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf