Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 641745 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #825 on: June 23, 2017, 03:41:44 am »
I am amazed that the people in the uBeam video demonstrating the prototypes do not appear to be wearing ear protection. This is prototype equipment  - people should have protection.
When you look at the surveys of research into 60Khz exposure, there is very little actual research data so no-one can actually say what levels are safe. Basically, it is probably impossible to find workers that have been exposed to constantly high levels of 60Khz sound so there is no hearing loss data.

A study attached +
http://www.icnirp.org/cms/upload/publications/INIRCUltrasound.PDF

You can also simply stick to the recommended limits of most countries, i.e. 110-115dB

The following users thanked this post: TonyWilk

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #826 on: June 23, 2017, 03:45:49 am »
As a side note, am I the only one that does not have such a need for charging my phone everywhere?  I plug my phone in the charger at home and sometimes at work.  it lasts at least a day, so as long as I charge it at home once a day I never have to charge it anywhere else.  There seems to be this odd craze about being able to charge on the go.

My Motorola X Force last a good 3 days on the one charge. Granted, I'm not playing games or watching video 24/7, but even then it's supposed to last a whole day.

Offline gvik

« Reply #827 on: June 23, 2017, 04:33:34 am »
I did make it through the 15 minutes, oddly enough. All I can say is that there's a whole lot of "Me!" in there. And some more "Me!". Sprinkled with a generous top coat of "Me!". Wow...

It is pretty fascinating tech, even if it is completely unfeasible for the intended product. Though I have to admit, I am having a bit of a hard time trying to figure out what the actual product of uBeam is... Wireless charging, or Meredith Perry herself?  ???

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #828 on: June 23, 2017, 05:23:06 am »
WAIT!....
the efficiency under water must be much greater...
the first underwater wireless charging system.
imagine the research dollars you could get from the nay for that!
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #829 on: June 23, 2017, 05:42:40 am »
How will this absurdly powerful 60KHz signal effect wildlife?
Maybe they can better sell it as bat or mouse repellent who have much higher frequency hearing.

LOL, a 30 million dollar bat ear destroying gun with auto targeting...  :-DD

Now, since there are potentially way over hundreds of thousands of bats in a large cave, you can maybe do some damage with a portable transmitter targeting all of them individually...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:32:46 am by BrianHG »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #830 on: June 23, 2017, 06:54:13 am »
My Motorola X Force last a good 3 days on the one charge. Granted, I'm not playing games or watching video 24/7, but even then it's supposed to last a whole day.

What am I doing wrong?

My cheapo ZTE used to last 10 to 14 days when it was new. It's coming up to 3 years old now and I'm worrying I might have to get a new battery soon because it's down to only 5 days.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #831 on: June 23, 2017, 06:56:43 am »
Now, since there are potentially way over hundreds of thousands of bats in a large cave, you can maybe do some damage with a portable transmitter targeting all of them individually...

Only if you put white tape around the edge of the wings.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #832 on: June 23, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »
Too loud for humans, problematic for wildlife, steerable phased array already hashed out... Methinks if she is truly clever she will talk to airports about bird control. A demo remote vehicle with it on it, 2 phased arrays running 5-10khz apart so the beat frequency is audible (have seen a demo of this before on tv) and it could potentially be an idea actually worth 30M
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:08:17 pm by ConKbot »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #833 on: June 23, 2017, 05:31:54 pm »
I'm not sure a 2KW airport bird scarer with a range of 4 meters would be all that useful. :)
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #834 on: June 23, 2017, 07:17:36 pm »
I'm not sure a 2KW airport bird scarer with a range of 4 meters would be all that useful. :)

If there was a wearable version you could eat chips at the seaside in peace.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: jpc

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #835 on: June 23, 2017, 11:18:45 pm »
My cheapo ZTE used to last 10 to 14 days when it was new. It's coming up to 3 years old now and I'm worrying I might have to get a new battery soon because it's down to only 5 days.

Unrelated to the topic, but a new (original) battery is usually recommended for old devices. If you've gone over 300 charge cycles you've probably already worn it down. Especially with cheap brands: I've had Samsung last 4-500 cycles, Huawei 2-300, Xiaocai ~200. I've just replaced my battery on my old Motorola XT910, bought mid-2012, was down to 1000mAh from 1800.
Other than that, technology evolves, I get 1.5%/h battery loss on my old phones versus 0.3-0.5 on the latest-gen ones. Apple wins hands-down, don't know how they do it. As a tech guy I'm impressed, but much less about their prices...

On topic: I would normally ignore any free-energy and wireless-energy bullshit, but 90% of my friends believe in that shit if it's packed in a nice video. So it's nice if someone takes a stand, because more opinions make a change.

Ok, so we have the BigPharma conspiracy against natrium chloride panacea, BigOil against free energy, now it should be BigEE against wireless energy?
Pronounced "biggie", of course.

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
« Reply #836 on: June 24, 2017, 02:46:33 am »
At least, if not as power supply,  it can be used by police to control street riots:

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_19529706

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #837 on: June 24, 2017, 05:34:30 am »
Reminds me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stink_bomb#Range

At the upper end of the spectrum, the governments of Israel and the United States of America are developing stink bombs for use by their law enforcement agencies and militaries as riot control and area denial weapons. Using stink bombs for these purposes has advantages over traditional riot control agents: unlike pepper spray and tear gas, stink bombs are believed not to be dangerous, and they are effective at low concentrations.

Regarding ultrasound as crowd control, I might have a story about pacifying a drugged-out neighbor turning up his subwoofer loud at 4am, every night/morning. It's incredible what a small Bluetooth speaker and an Android signal generator can do. Unfortunately it's not related to the topic, possibly not legal and likely never happened...

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #838 on: June 25, 2017, 01:34:09 am »
Reminds me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stink_bomb#Range

At the upper end of the spectrum, the governments of Israel and the United States of America are developing stink bombs for use by their law enforcement agencies and militaries as riot control and area denial weapons. Using stink bombs for these purposes has advantages over traditional riot control agents: unlike pepper spray and tear gas, stink bombs are believed not to be dangerous, and they are effective at low concentrations.

Regarding ultrasound as crowd control, I might have a story about pacifying a drugged-out neighbor turning up his subwoofer loud at 4am, every night/morning. It's incredible what a small Bluetooth speaker and an Android signal generator can do. Unfortunately it's not related to the topic, possibly not legal and likely never happened...

A few years ago, someone had come up with a "crowd control beam" that caused anyone to be hit with it to instantly lose control of their bowels. I don't know what became of it, but talk about the most effective crowd control method ever!

"When you're looting that TV and you feel a little beam: Diarrhea, diarrhea. When you're marching for a cause and the cops want you to pause: Diarrhea, diarrhea." (To the tune of "Sliding into Home")
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:09:09 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #839 on: June 25, 2017, 01:39:51 am »
A few years ago, someone had come up with a "crowd control beam" that caused anyone to be hit with it to instantly loose control of their bowels. I don't know what became of it, but talk about the most effective crowd control method ever!

"When you're looting that TV and you feel a little beam: Diarrhea, diarrhea. When you're marching for a cause and the cops want you to pause: Diarrhea, diarrhea." (To the tune of "Sliding into Home")

It was a VLF inaudible frequency which vibrated tuned to the average dimensions of your gut with embedded almost audible thumps as well.  If I remember correctly, saw it in a documentary quite some time ago.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #840 on: June 25, 2017, 02:12:01 am »
A few years ago, someone had come up with a "crowd control beam" that caused anyone to be hit with it to instantly loose control of their bowels. I don't know what became of it, but talk about the most effective crowd control method ever!

It was a VLF inaudible frequency which vibrated tuned to the average dimensions of your gut with embedded almost audible thumps as well.  If I remember correctly, saw it in a documentary quite some time ago.

Yes, it was something like that, only not using VLF and resonance ("The Brown Note"). It used much higher frequency (that caused the muscles to forcibly contract) and was itself modulated at a lower frequency, which would cause severe abdominal pain and ultimately diarrhea.

I'm not finding much on Google, but I know it's out there somewhere. Just a matter of finding the right keywords...

(I would have named it the pooBeam.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:12:07 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #841 on: June 25, 2017, 02:26:45 am »
And stink bombs can be used with it to amplify the effect  :scared:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #842 on: June 25, 2017, 02:40:27 am »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:43:44 am by Richard Crowley »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #843 on: June 25, 2017, 09:09:17 am »
The "Brown Note": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

Disproved by Mythbusters: http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/brown-note/

This was something different that used a much higher frequency (sort of like the microwave pain beam that DARPA has tested).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #844 on: June 25, 2017, 10:00:16 am »

Yes, it was something like that. I'm not finding much on Google, but at least I know someone else has heard of it too! Just a matter of finding the right keywords...

It's an urban legend, sorry.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #845 on: June 25, 2017, 01:18:27 pm »
MP has commented on #1001.

"Meredith Perry@meredithperry 12h ago
Replying to @qhardy
This video blogger's starting assumptions about uBeam are all incorrect. This person knows nothing about the company or our technology."

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #846 on: June 25, 2017, 01:35:55 pm »

Replying to @qhardy
This video blogger's starting assumptions about uBeam are all incorrect. This person knows nothing about the company or our technology."
Missing the whole point that you don't need to.know anything about either to demonstrate its bullshittyness
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #847 on: June 25, 2017, 02:03:49 pm »
Missing the whole point that you don't need to.know anything about either to demonstrate its bullshittyness
Perhaps implying that her "starting assumptions" are based on a Separate Reality of laws of physics in a Parallel Universe which we are not privy to.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #848 on: June 25, 2017, 02:07:40 pm »

Well she did say that the starting assumptions are incorrect, but said nothing about the end conclusion!
 :horse:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #849 on: June 25, 2017, 04:06:44 pm »
Replying to @qhardy

It seems that my uBeam video has done it's job  ;D

Her complete lack of any form of technical rebuttal is duly noted.
I mean there are so many things I got obviously completely wrong she doesn't know were to start, right?  ::)

She doesn't even seem to realise that a lot of my numbers are pretty much backed up by her own (former) Vice President of Engineering in his very public and quite technical blog posts. So much for "knowing nothing about their technology"  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: djos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf