Author Topic: The Ultimate "Fuse" Con  (Read 11136 times)

Offline HardBoot

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Ultimate "Fuse" Con
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
Your audio must sound great when you get rid of the nasty negative half of sound waves.

Someone should ask the bugger why there's a diode and cap symbol on the fuse.

Offline member_xyz

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 10:27:18 pm »

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 12:39:44 am »
http://machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Lot more on the home page.

From the website:

The Quantum Temple Bell

is an extensively treated Tibetan hand bell that improves audio and video system when it is rung in "strategic locations" around the room; these strategic locations are identified in our instructions for the bell. The bell operates by mind-matter interaction as opposed to affecting room acoustics or electronics. The bell ringing procedure takes about 2 minutes and is permanent; the bell ringing procedure can be performed once a month or as often as desired to ensure optimum performance. Further improvements can be obtained by repeating the procedure in all rooms of the house.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 08:18:22 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_treatment

wiki seems like its a somewhat real process.
Do any real electronics use cryogenic treatment? I am not saying audio stuff but some kind of high end nasa/icbm/100 grand scientific equipment stuff...

Advantages

Comparison of cryorolling and rolling at room temperature:

In Cryorolling, the strain hardening is retained up to the extent to which rolling is carried out. This implies that there will be no dislocation annihilation and dynamic recovery. Whereas in rolling at room temperature, dynamic recovery is inevitable and softening takes place.
    The flow stress of the material differs for the sample which is subjected to cryorolling. A cryorolled sample has a higher flow stress compared to a sample subjected to rolling at room temperature.
    Cross slip and climb of dislocations are effectively suppressed during cryorolling leading to high dislocation density which is not the case for room temperature rolling.
    The corrosion resistance of the cryorolled sample comparatively decreases due to the high residual stress involved.
    The number of electron scattering centres increases for the cryorolled sample and hence the electrical conductivity decreases significantly.
    The cryorolled sample shows a high dissolution rate.
    Ultra-fine-grained structures can be produced from cryorolled samples after subsequent annealing.

I did not pay enough attention in semiconductor physics to know if "electron scattering center" is a real phenomena

*and I don't mean actively submerging stuff in LN during its operation but doing some kind of cryogenic "treatment" on the wire.
If you deformed most metals at cryogenic temperatures it would just shatter, the same goes for most other materials, at school we used to dip rubber sheet into a mixture of dry ice and acetone that made the rubber cold enough so that when hit or bent it would shatter like a pane of glass. Is that wiki entry done by one of these nut's.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:21:59 am by G7PSK »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 08:22:34 am »
http://machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Lot more on the home page.
Looking at all their products, one really has to wonder whether they truly believe that this stuff works, or are running a really clever scam reselling common items at absurd prices.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 08:59:52 am »

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 09:15:59 am »
Looking at all their products, one really has to wonder whether they truly believe that this stuff works, or are running a really clever scam reselling common items at absurd prices.

Looking at their products the only conclusion I can come to is that it's all a gigantic piss-take.

Or else they subscribe to the theory that an (audio)fool and his money will soon be parted and they're the ones that are going to do the parting.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 12:46:39 pm »
http://machinadynamica.com/machina62.htm

:o

Oh my....

This website is hilarious.

These are the effects of placing a quarter sized silver disc next to the spinning CD in a CD player...

The CD will then be permanently upgraded and will sound much more open, detailed and dynamic, with no distortion - better than a remastered version!

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 12:54:55 pm »
http://machinadynamica.com/machina62.htm

:o

Oh my....

This website is hilarious.

These are the effects of placing a quarter sized silver disc next to the spinning CD in a CD player...

The CD will then be permanently upgraded and will sound much more open, detailed and dynamic, with no distortion - better than a remastered version!

That's not the only product like that though - there are things such as this, a CD demagnetiser: http://www.bedini.com/clarifier.htm

And this site is similar, though it looks far more serious... http://www.goldensound.com/productlist/next-generation-audio-accessories ... I am losing hope in humanity.

Offline minime72706

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 02:24:01 pm »
Holy shit I really wish I had not looked at the list of recent posts to find this thread. This kind of thing drives me MAD and this fuse, though not $500, is one of the worst things I've seen...
AND SOMEONE BOUGHT ONE!

My psyche is just too fragile to handle the truth that people are stupid enough to believe in this crap.

BRBtherapist.
I have more incomplete projects than I have digits and toes.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »
I once made some essential oil distillation equipment for a company that went in for this sort of madness. I cant quite recall what the name was but it was along the lines of Pharma sutra. While setting the equipment up and giving it a trial run the owner of the business came round and told every one not to turn the power on in the ware house as he turned it of in order to energize the product, which was shampoo and soaps and other cosmetics. When I asked some one else what he meant I was informed that the process involved him going into the ware house and chanting while waving a crystal around on the end of a chain, the power had to be off as this would interfere with the energizing. I did not laugh out loud then and there as I wanted to collect my payment for the equipment and hopefully sell more to him and other such nut cases that he may know, but he and others within the firm really believed in the power of these crystals. 

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 06:25:56 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_treatment

wiki seems like its a somewhat real process.
Do any real electronics use cryogenic treatment? I am not saying audio stuff but some kind of high end nasa/icbm/100 grand scientific equipment stuff...

Advantages

Comparison of cryorolling and rolling at room temperature:

In Cryorolling, the strain hardening is retained up to the extent to which rolling is carried out. This implies that there will be no dislocation annihilation and dynamic recovery. Whereas in rolling at room temperature, dynamic recovery is inevitable and softening takes place.
    The flow stress of the material differs for the sample which is subjected to cryorolling. A cryorolled sample has a higher flow stress compared to a sample subjected to rolling at room temperature.
    Cross slip and climb of dislocations are effectively suppressed during cryorolling leading to high dislocation density which is not the case for room temperature rolling.
    The corrosion resistance of the cryorolled sample comparatively decreases due to the high residual stress involved.
    The number of electron scattering centres increases for the cryorolled sample and hence the electrical conductivity decreases significantly.
    The cryorolled sample shows a high dissolution rate.
    Ultra-fine-grained structures can be produced from cryorolled samples after subsequent annealing.

I did not pay enough attention in semiconductor physics to know if "electron scattering center" is a real phenomena

*and I don't mean actively submerging stuff in LN during its operation but doing some kind of cryogenic "treatment" on the wire.
If you deformed most metals at cryogenic temperatures it would just shatter, the same goes for most other materials, at school we used to dip rubber sheet into a mixture of dry ice and acetone that made the rubber cold enough so that when hit or bent it would shatter like a pane of glass. Is that wiki entry done by one of these nut's.

Would thicker metals shatter too? Like a 1 inch thick steel plate?
I've heard of a cryo-process being used in knife steel , I do believe that one resulted some some detectable difference in grain structure or w/e but I don't know much about metalurgy and neither do I remember this process. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 06:35:15 pm »
I have seen freeze drying used to make powdered fruit, and have seen liquid nitrogen used to allow assembly of mechanical parts ( axle stubs into the wheel casting of aircraft) with no deformation. I do know ultra fast cooling from red heat does make steel harder than plain quenching, as it freezes the grain structure before it has time to change structure.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 02:05:03 pm »
This is why I don't post on hi-fi forums any more. Not only is there a lot of nonsense out there, it's fiercely defended nonsense.

I once made myself quite unpopular in a discussion about jitter on digital outputs, by actually measuring it with a scope and posting the results including screen shots. Cold, hard facts don't seem to go down too well when fluff and speculation are available.

A few years ago I did build myself a DAC using nothing more than good science, proper layout technique and high quality components. Oddly enough, it sounds great - but maybe it would be better still with a silver & gold fuse connecting it to my house wiring (which, for an self-confessed audiophile I'm ashamed to admit, is only copper)?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 03:28:36 pm »
There are even worse things in the audiophile world:

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm

Cables, naturally, not included  ;)
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
WTF is that shit, again AUDIOPHOOLERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 11:52:49 pm »
It's psychology. You really can't discount it because to those of this mindset things like shakti stones and tice clocks really do make a difference - to them. All perception is... perspective. It's subjective. Why do people ring temple bells? Why do people believe in talking snakes or engrams? It provides them something they subjectively desire.

Google Harvey Rosenberg. He's a legendary writer from the annals of audiophiledom. Known as "Gizmo" he never dared take things too seriously, yet was always able to engage in a way that wasn't demeaning or condescending. Read some of his stuff and you'll come to understand this "audiophoolery" much better.

http://www.meta-gizmo.net/intro/ECSTACYBOOK.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf