Author Topic: The wonder of ebay parts!!11  (Read 4769 times)

Offline iceisfunTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The wonder of ebay parts!!11
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:57:28 am »
So I have been working on a robot and buying parts from various places including EBAY! I'm aware there is a lot of junk out there so I ordered 1 of a few smaller things including these couplings

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230974569929

After receiving my first coupling and hooking up a 6mm shaft optical encoder to the back of a 5mm shaft stepper motor I was quite happy, the setup worked perfect and I went back to buy more of the same awesome items and got these instead!

This seller deserves a TRIPPLE AAAAAA+++++ feedback rating  |O

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: The wonder of ebay parts!!11
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:59:28 am »
So you got the wrong item. Contact the seller and tell them that. Problem solved.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline iceisfunTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:00:40 am »
Right, the problem will be solved but it will take a few more weeks to get the right little part!

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:05:09 am »
Eh, shit happens. One of the dangers of ordering from far away.

I recently ordered a bag of 50 BNC jacks for $5. Yep, $0.10 each. I received them a couple weeks later - the nuts were too big (ahem) and the locking washers were fake. (Flat metal pressed into the general shape, but no actual teeth.) I notified them, and they sent me another bag of 50 jacks with the nuts firmly screwed in place to demonstrate that they were the correct size. The washers were still crap though. So $5 for 100 BNC jacks, 50 nuts and 100 flat washers. Not bad!
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:45:10 am »
This seller deserves a TRIPPLE AAAAAA+++++ feedback rating  |O

Looks like you got a 5mm to 8mm coupling which is also a common size, the order packing girl probably just grabbed it from the wrong bin.

They'll put it right almost certainly send you another hopefully the right size.

When buying from China sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and like in c4's case, sometimes a bit of both. 
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:49:57 am »
I agree, yeah it kinda sucks but you are making something huge out of a small mistake. If theyshipped you a rusted piece of crap then yeah complain or one that is bent, damaged, etc. This appears to me that someone just accidentally grabbed the wrong item.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:33:01 am »
A little bit of duct tape around your 6mm shaft should solve the problem  :-DD

Offline elcomtel

• Regular Contributor
    • ELCOMTEL
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 03:26:49 pm »
I suppose that our western character set is just as confusing to someone in China as the Chinese character set is for us in the western world to understand.

I recently ordered a 100% original and genuine 'Microchip Pickit2' debugger ICE from a seller in China on Aliexpress. Instead I was supplied with a 100% original and genuine 'Keil ULINK2' debugger ICE instead.

I suppose the seller looked at his stock and was confused with a foreign alphabet and though WTF to themselves. They noticed a '2' on the end on the character string of their shipping order, so 'ULINK2' looks similar to 'Pickit2' because both character strings have a '2' on the end.

So now I am the proud owner of a ICE for debugging ARM microcontrollers instead of PIC microcontrollers. I was fortunate that I also have an interest in ARM microcontrollers so the seller's mistake was accepted with open 'ARMs' (do you get it?). I could have forced the issue and pointed out their mistake and received a replacement. It wasn't worth the trouble over $15 and I decided to leave it at that. I also left the seller positive feedback on the Aliexpress website. They sent me something useful by mistake, so I couldn't be upset with that.

I am fascinated by how the Chinese can sell 100% original and genuine products for one tenth of the cost in the west. It would appear that the sales tax in China is considerably lower than in the western world. Hip Hooray for the Chinese !!! Our world would be much worse without them.
http://www.elcomtel.com.au/
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:50:02 pm »
You do realize it's kinda cool photo in its own right? The reflection on the coupling, etc. Have you tried trimming (to square, perhaps) and downsizing it (to get rid of some of the noise)?

alm

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 05:35:18 pm »
Anything marked as 100% original and genuine is usually 100% fake in my experience.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 04:44:01 am »
Ever since the wheel was invented by man, men have been dealing with getting the wrong part...

Man:  Urr…  I have a problem with my latest order.  I ordered a 80287, but you shipped me a 80286.

Customer Service Agent:  Let me look up your order.  One moment please….  Sir, I confirmed that you did order the 80287 and we did ship you the 80286,

Man: So, can you give me an RMA number so I can return this for the proper shipment.

Customer Service Agent:  I am sorry, I cannot issue an RMA Sir.

Man: Why?  This part clearly is not right.

Customer Service Agent:  According to our sales agreement, all parts in this category have a 0.5% tolerance.

Man: But this is a CPU and I wanted the floating point coprocessor.

Customer Service Agent:  That may well be, but this part is within tolerance, Sir.

Man: What?

Customer Service Agent:  I have my calculator right in front of me.  80287 minus 80286 divided by 80287 is 0.0000125.  This is 0.001% and well within the 0.5% tolerance, Sir.

Customer Service Agent: Sir, but this part is within 0.5% tolerance Sir.

Customer Service Agent: If you want something different, I can take a new order for you right now, Sir.  And let me tell you about our special promotion, that is, if you don’t mind a slightly bigger tolerance, we have some 80186 in stock and a two for the price of one.  This 80186 is just 0.1% off your specs....

(Sound of window breaking)

(Sound of man running towards a window)

(Sound of man and sidewalk crashing into each other in an attempt to occupy the same space.)

Offline Mr Pig

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 06:03:10 pm »
Anything marked as 100% original and genuine is usually 100% fake in my experience.

:0)

I am fascinated by how the Chinese can sell 100% original and genuine products for one tenth of the cost in the west.

If you're talking about genuine items, either they make them and sell illegitimately without the usual mark-ups or they are back-door quality-control rejects. Well that's two possibilities but the bottom line is that it's hard for most people to comprehend just how corrupt China is. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf