Author Topic: The world needs dreamers, but doesn't want them!  (Read 3466 times)

Offline SL4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
The world needs dreamers, but doesn't want them!
« on: April 19, 2014, 04:21:01 am »
Engineers are dreamers - possibly the most inefficient way to develop efficient solutions.
It involves a lot of imagination and 'suck it and see', but the fast-paced world of corporate finance and law doesn't want fundamental efficiency - or half of them would be out of jobs.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Re: The world needs dreamers, but doesn't want them!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:58 am »
in software, at least, speed matters more than quality.

I had a job interview recently and was given a programming test during one of the 15 minute sessions.  I was not able to finish it in time and they actually let me take it home and finish it.  not that it did any good: I solved the problem, included the main routine, the subroutine they wanted, all test cases with sample output and even the build command.  a full solution.  and I did not get the job.

I asked them 'do you want it done fast or done right?'

it was clear to me which they valued more.  ship it with bugs, but ship it NOW and worry about fixing problems later.

I really hate the direction things are going in.  nothing is getting better: not employee life, job security, inventiveness, creativity.  all that matters is CHEAP and FAST.

when doing the job right means you are not considered for it, maybe its time to leave the field.. ;(

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 02:33:30 am »
Well nobody gets to be Chief Engineer overnight, until then you'll be handed down work started by other people.

That's why you need to work on some projects that you think your company might be interested in, show the boss etc.

But remember, "we see it, we own it" is the rule at a lot of places. 
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:19:11 am »
Engineers are dreamers

Who told you that bullshit?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:31:20 am »
Most successful companies have a mission statement, plastered on their wall at reception.

Martin Luther King  :-+ had a mission statement, a vision and a dream. Even Adolf Hitler >:D had a mission statement.

Today, most countries leaders have no mission statement. They have no dream, no vision, except to stay in power by force or to get re-elected.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf