Author Topic: There is a problem with the translation of my master thesis' English abstract  (Read 2949 times)

Offline China NewBoyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I am a Chinese student and I am writing my master degree thesis recently.

The grammar of the English abstract in my paper is not standard. I hope someone whose native language is English can provide suggestions or help point out mistakes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022-4-7

My tutor has revised my English abstract and he wants me to ask the English speakers in the forum if the revised abstract can be read

With reference to your suggestions, I reorganized my abstract again.   

I know there are still a lot of questions, I hope you can help me point them out

Abstract(latest version)

Line loss rate is an important parameter for quantifying grid transmission efficiency. Primary causes usually include leakage, partial discharge, and illegal use of electricity, among others. Such losses cause both financial harm to electric utilities and danger to users. The current abnormal line loss detection methods is power line carrier detection combined with manual detection. because the watt-hour meters are installed at a fixed and dispersive location, the power line communication method is inconvenience. The clock in the watt-hour meters is inaccurate, it causes large errors in the calculation of line loss rate. Manual detection faces the problems of high labor cost and low efficiency.To solve the problem of line loss monitoring and troubleshooting in low-voltage stations, an abnormal loss detection system for power grids based on IoT is designed.

In this thesis, we designs five kinds of line loss detection devices for three kinds of power supply areas : 1.centralized area; 2.distributed area; 3.freestanding area.This system locates faults by modeling the power network as a tree topology, and measuring at each node the total input power, branch line output power, and user power. Considering the system's wide distribution and system price, the NB-IoT module is used for uploading data from each location. To ensure efficient transmission, the MQTT/HTTP protocol is used to communicate over the internet. An internet time service facilitates real-time synchronous monitoring, reducing calculation errors. By calculating the line loss rate of each node, the system can identify when and where the line loss exceeds usual or expected amount.This experiment proves that the system can make the current power industry line loss monitoring smarter, reducing the amount of work.

Keywords: Low-voltage power supply area; Line loss monitoring; Tree topology;NB-IoT; Fault point Locating;
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 07:23:19 am by China NewBoy »

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: There is a problem with the translation of my master's English abstract
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 04:47:19 am »
It's diffult to read.  If I were to 'correct' this, I would probably rewrite it to make it seem more standard.  The rewrite would take some time and perhaps would have some errors itself that you might want corrected.

The following users thanked this post: China NewBoy

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 05:02:23 am »
The typeface, formatting and the punctuation are just awful. I agree that's a headache to read.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 05:17:38 am »
Thank you, I would like to ask whether the technical terms in the abstract are accurate, such as the line loss rate 
 meter box
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 05:26:06 am by China NewBoy »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 09:43:29 am »
I am not native english but I think it should be "mains loss" or "mains dropout", at least when you are referring about the 110VAC or 230VAC mains power grid ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 12:03:39 pm »
Thanks for your advice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 12:16:53 pm »
I am not native english but I think it should be "mains loss" or "mains dropout", at least when you are referring about the 110VAC or 230VAC mains power grid ?
What I want to describe is the loss in the entire power transmission process,I don’t think “mains loss” can cover the loss of all transmission lines.Is my opinion correct?

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 12:29:04 pm »
If you want anyone to help you out, please post a text file. Feel like I'm getting a headache after the first three sentences.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 01:02:19 pm »
I ran it through OCR. It's readable. I did some cleanup myself but still a lot of apostrophes (just ignore and delete as needed  :) )
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 01:15:39 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I tried to make some corrections to my abstract. :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:29:08 pm by China NewBoy »

Offline Power-Electronics

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 02:57:38 pm »
I don't know if I even understood everything correctly, but here's my take on it. It still needs a lot of editing for style and content, but at least it should be somewhat understandable now. Most of what I did was remove the unnecessary repetition and add some white space. Good luck.

Abstract

Line loss rate is an important parameter for quantifying grid transmission efficiency, and overall quality of power supply system. Primary causes usually include leakage, partial discharge, and illegal use of electricity, among others. Such losses cause both financial harm to power supply enterprises and danger to users. To solve the problem of line loss monitoring and troubleshooting in low-voltage stations, an abnormal loss detection system for power grids based on location is designed.

In this paper, we design five kinds of line loss detection devices for different power supply areas:

1. Urban building meter boxes
2. Rural (residential?) meter boxes
3. Rural (residential?) transmission-line-side devices
4. Factory transformer tanks
5. Factory meter boxes

This system locates faults by modeling the power network as a tree topology, and measuring at each node the total input power, branch line output power, and user power.

Considering the system's wide distribution and system cost, the NB-IoT module is used for uploading data from each location. To ensure efficient transmission, the MQTT/HTTP protocol is used to communicate over the internet. An internet time service facilitates real-time synchronous monitoring, reducing calculation errors. By calculating the line loss rate of each node, the system can identify when and where the line loss exceeds usual or expected amount.

This experiment (design?) proves that the system can make the current power industry line loss monitoring smarter, reducing workload.

Keywords: Low-voltage power supply area; Line loss monitoring; Tree topology;NB-IoT; Fault point Locating;

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username, China NewBoy

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 03:13:02 am »
I must be used to reading Chinglish by now, since it's about as comprehensible as a lot of the datasheets from Chinese companies that I've seen.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 03:48:02 am »
I believe that correct translation in American English for "power supply enterprises" is "electric utilities", and "power supply system" would be "electrical distribution system".

I don't know if you are trying to achieve a particular dialect of English or if those would be correct in other widely used dialects.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 04:07:36 am »
@ Newboy:
Obviously you have thought about your topic extensively; but you need to convey this to your audience.  I guess you are submitting this to native English speaking audiences whose thought processes differ from yours; there is nothing wrong with your thought process, it just doesn’t translate well.
It may help to do a rough draft in outline form:

1.  Define in detail the problem or whatever you are trying to accomplish
   [This focuses and sets the scope of your paper; it is very important to define the subject at the beginning of the paper]
 2.  Mention present conditions and what is being done to alleviate the problem indicated.
   [This doesn’t have to go into great detail, but must convey a need or desire for improvement]
3.  Provide a list of possible solutions (stick to the problem stated).  State why present solutions are not ideal.  This part must be well organized and not confusing.
4. State your own solution along with its pros and cons and compare it to the present situation. Stating the negative aspects to your solution shows that you have been diligent in researching both the solutions and present problems.
5.  Summarize your paper with projected cost effectiveness, long term reliability and overall efficiency. 

Remember to thank those who have helped you along the way….and pay it forward when you can.

• Regular Contributor
 I put the latest revision abstract in #0   I know there are still a lot of questions, I hope you can help me point them out ;D

• Regular Contributor
 :)

• Regular Contributor
yesterday,My supervisor said that the English abstract part of my master's thesis is very poor, I don't know how to correct it.

Hope someone can help me

===========================================================================
Line loss rate is an important parameter for quantifying grid transmission efficiency, and overall quality of electrical distribution system, Primary causes usually include leakage, partial discharge, and illegal use of electricity, among others. Such losses cause both financial harm to electric utilities and danger to users. The current abnormal line loss detection methods are power line carrier detection and manual detection. because the watt-hour meters are installed at a fixed and dispersive location, the power line communication method is inconvenience. The clock in the watt-hour meters is inaccurate, it causes large errors in the calculation of line loss rate. Manual detection faces the problems of high labor cost and low efficiency.To solve the problem of line loss monitoring and troubleshooting in low-voltage stations, an abnormal loss detection system for power grids based on IoT is designed.

In this thesis, we designs five kinds of line loss detection devices for three kinds of power supply areas : 1.urban building; 2.rural residential; 3.factory area.This system locates faults by modeling the power network as a tree topology, and measuring at each node the total input power, branch line output power, and user power. Considering the system's wide distribution and system cost, the NB-IoT module is used for uploading data from each location. To ensure efficient transmission, the MQTT/HTTP protocol is used to communicate over the internet. An internet time service facilitates real-time synchronous monitoring, reducing calculation errors. By calculating the line loss rate of each node, the system can identify when and where the line loss exceeds usual or expected amount.This experiment proves that the system can make the current power industry line loss monitoring smarter, reducing workload.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
For one thing, I think "line loss" is "transmission loss" or "transmission losses".

I think for "partial discharge" you mean "corona discharge"?

You really need to find a native English speaker at your institution to help you. There is no way for anyone here to edit your text without risk of changing the meaning.

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
Textcheck.com provides techncal editing services for a primarily asian market. I worked as an editor for them for a couple of years. The editors are people with demonstrated technical background related to that of the author. For example, as a physics master's student, I edited a lot of photonics papers.

An important note: They are not editing for scientific accuracy, but for technical language accuracy. They might give you feedback in the notes if something was ambiguous.

• Regular Contributor
Textcheck.com provides techncal editing services for a primarily asian market. I worked as an editor for them for a couple of years. The editors are people with demonstrated technical background related to that of the author. For example, as a physics master's student, I edited a lot of photonics papers.

An important note: They are not editing for scientific accuracy, but for technical language accuracy. They might give you feedback in the notes if something was ambiguous.

Thank you for your recommendation, but,  if it is calculated at 6 cents per word, I need to spend 1000RMB to complete the polish, it is too expensive for me

• Regular Contributor
My tutor has revised my English abstract and he wants me to ask the English speakers in the forum if the revised abstract can be read  :-\ :-\

Line loss rate is an important parameter for quantifying grid transmission efficiency. Primary causes usually include leakage, partial discharge, and illegal use of electricity, among others. Such losses cause both financial harm to electric utilities and danger to users. The current abnormal line loss detection methods is power line carrier detection combined with manual detection. because the watt-hour meters are installed at a fixed and dispersive location, the power line communication method is inconvenience. The clock in the watt-hour meters is inaccurate, it causes large errors in the calculation of line loss rate. Manual detection faces the problems of high labor cost and low efficiency.To solve the problem of line loss monitoring and troubleshooting in low-voltage stations, an abnormal loss detection system for power grids based on IoT is designed.

In this thesis, we designs five kinds of line loss detection devices for three kinds of power supply areas : 1.centralized area; 2.distributed area; 3.freestanding area.This system locates faults by modeling the power network as a tree topology, and measuring at each node the total input power, branch line output power, and user power. Considering the system's wide distribution and system price, the NB-IoT module is used for uploading data from each location. To ensure efficient transmission, the MQTT/HTTP protocol is used to communicate over the internet. An internet time service facilitates real-time synchronous monitoring, reducing calculation errors. By calculating the line loss rate of each node, the system can identify when and where the line loss exceeds usual or expected amount.This experiment proves that the system can make the current power industry line loss monitoring smarter, reducing the amount of work.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 06:53:27 am by China NewBoy »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Hello: What is the target audience and institutions or journals? IEEE? USA Universities? Firms to hire you? Your professor in China?
What is the goal or objective of the paper?

The issues of power TX and DIS mon are very different in USA or EU vs for instance China or 3rd world.
For example the losses of thief of power are minor in the West but very bad in India.
Finally line loss monitoring is very well developed and deployed in US and EU, so what exactly is the issue you are addressing?

You need a T&D or power electrical engineer to review, not an informal EEVblog forum.

Bon Chance,

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: Someone, China NewBoy

• Regular Contributor
Hello: What is the target audience and institutions or journals? IEEE? USA Universities? Firms to hire you? Your professor in China?
What is the goal or objective of the paper?

The issues of power TX and DIS mon are very different in USA or EU vs for instance China or 3rd world.
For example the losses of thief of power are minor in the West but very bad in India.
Finally line loss monitoring is very well developed and deployed in US and EU, so what exactly is the issue you are addressing?

You need a T&D or power electrical engineer to review, not an informal EEVblog forum.

master degree thesis in china

Bon Chance,

Jon

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
You quoted his post but didn't write anyhting?

Anyway, I've added suggestions below:

My tutor has revised my English abstract and he wants me to ask the English speakers in the forum if the revised abstract can be read  :-\ :-\

Line loss rate is an important parameter for quantifying grid transmission efficiency. Primary causes of loss usually include leakage, partial discharge, and illegal theft use of electricity, among others. Such losses cause both financial harm to electric utilities and danger to users. The current abnormal line loss detection methods are is power line carrier detection combined with manual detection. Because the watt-hour meters are installed at a fixed and dispersive location, the power line communication method is inconvenientience. Additionally, the clock in the watt-hour meters is inaccurate, it causes large errors in the calculation of line loss rate. Manual detection faces the problems of high labor cost and low efficiency. To solve the problem of line loss monitoring and troubleshooting in low-voltage stations, an abnormal loss detection system for power grids based on IoT is designed within.

In this thesis, we designs five kinds of line loss detection devices for three kinds of power supply areas: 1. centralized area; 2. distributed area; 3. freestanding area. This system locates faults by modeling the power network as a tree topology, and measuring at each node the total input power, branch line output power, and user power. Considering the systems wide distribution and system price, the NB-IoT module is used for uploading data from each location. To ensure efficient transmission, the MQTT/HTTP protocol is used to communicate over the internet. An internet time service facilitates real-time synchronous monitoring, reducing calculation errors. By calculating the line loss rate of each node, the system can identify when and where the line loss exceeds usual or expected amount. This experiment proves that the system can make the current power industry line loss monitoring smarter, reducing the amount of work required.

Some structure could be changed but, this is simple recommendations without rewriting your ideas.

One part I'm not sure about: "Because the watt-hour meters are installed at a fixed and dispersive location"
You are saying they are dispersed too far apart right?

"Considering the systems wide distribution and system price, the NB-IoT module is used for uploading data from each location."
Not quite sure what is meant here
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 10:05:17 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline HuronKing

• Regular Contributor
You quoted his post but didn't write anyhting?

He did but I think he wrote it in the wrong spot because its inside the quote. He wrote,
master degree thesis in china

Probably in response to the question, 'what are you writing this for?'

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf