Author Topic: They still make these?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
They still make these?
« on: January 15, 2022, 11:13:18 pm »
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/LM3914V-NOPB/212685

The good old LM3914 and relatives. I used to play with these in the '80s! With Radio Shack LEDs and breadboards!

But what possible use do these things have today?

Are there other surprising chips still made today?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: They still make these?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:22:41 am »
Jameco has a very wide selection of these rarities such as its sister device LM3915 (I still have one original part bought new in the 80's). I think they even have the XR2206.

I have no idea who manufactures these, but they are indeed still available.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 03:46:49 am »
EOL priced, mind.  But yeah, while they're still around...

Another way to think of them is a 10-bit unary ADC, with freely adjustable range.  So you can use that for a certain amount of ratio conversion, or, I've used them once or twice to drive a power DAC -- ideal for something like an electronic load where most of the power is dissipated in load resistors.  By setting REF from VIN, you get an ideal constant current characteristic (minus the steps, that is!).

Also the equivalent acquisition rate is 100s kSps -- asynchronous, mind, but it's just an array of comparators, a bit worse than LM393, so a microsecond or so delay.  It's not a whole lot of ENOB (10 bits unary = a hair over 3 bits binary) but still interesting to have any result in that kind of time frame, for an ancient analog circuit.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 04:29:04 am »
One of those little 3 terminal TO-92 AM radio chips is allegedly still in production, TA7642.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 06:56:07 am »
EOL priced, mind.
I thought so too, but if you look on TI's site directly, the prices are very reasonable. DigiKey is just as always expensive.

And the part is active according to TI, so people must buy them. It is also available as a bare die, so there may be some market for that, and the packaged versions are there just because they are easy enough to make.
Alex

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 02:05:47 am »
One of those little 3 terminal TO-92 AM radio chips is allegedly still in production, TA7642.

I've seen those used in kits. Elenco uses them I know (not sure if that exact number, but similar if not)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 04:02:23 am »
I wonder if they still make them or just made millions and millions of bare dies that they continue to package? I suppose it's the same process they use for all the 74xx and similar era parts so as long as there's enough collective demand for parts using that process they can run off more of them as needed.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 05:37:08 am »
The good old LM3914 and relatives. I used to play with these in the '80s! With Radio Shack LEDs and breadboards!

LM3914 - Voltmeters. Lots of voltmeters! Education. etc. There's somewhat of a renaissance of digital electronics at the moment as well.

We source XR2206 and ICL8038 for local older enthusiasts from China, they work fine. Companies like HG Semi are doing an increasing number of through-hole ICs from 555 to logic and more. Demand must be there.

https://lcsc.com/brand-detail/11543.html

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 07:56:58 am »

LM3914 - Voltmeters. Lots of voltmeters! Education. etc. There's somewhat of a renaissance of digital electronics at the moment as well.

We source XR2206 and ICL8038 for local older enthusiasts from China, they work fine. Companies like HG Semi are doing an increasing number of through-hole ICs from 555 to logic and more. Demand must be there.

https://lcsc.com/brand-detail/11543.html

HGSemi also do some pretty decent versions of obsolete bipolar RF power transistors, their tech support is helpful as well.

Offline mfro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 08:30:12 am »
wouldn't be surprised if there is an ancient military, aerospace or even automotive long term contract they are still obliged to
Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 08:52:50 am »
Jameco has a very wide selection of these rarities such as its sister device LM3915 (I still have one original part bought new in the 80's). I think they even have the XR2206.

I have no idea who manufactures these, but they are indeed still available.
Their XR2206 are as counterfeit as junk from China. Sort of work but way worse than the real thing.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 09:32:08 am »
I noticed a listing earlier today on Ozbargain which offered the LM3915 in a soldering practice kit for only $1.80, normally $4.49 (USD) from IC Station. Only a couple of days left at that price so don't delay if you want one.
Note: I have no affiliation whatsoever with Ozbargain or IC Station.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 03:15:36 pm »
I always thought the LM3915 would make an interesting ammeter, or amp indicator rather, for a power supply. Being logarithmic it would be more sensitive at lower current levels.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf