Author Topic: this one is worth watching  (Read 4898 times)

Offline siliconmixTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
this one is worth watching
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:53:02 am »

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: this one is worth watching
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:59:31 am »
Wait for it........................
Testing one two three...

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:03:42 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--So lets close our eyes and cross our fingers and keep humming the Whiffenpoof Song, just as hard as we can, and don't let those mean, mean people, who don't like puppies and kitties, and who want little girls to die of thirst, --Sob, snork, -- don't let those mean people, pooh pooh Cocoanut Custard in the Stratosphere.

--I have seen few lugubrious TV Evangelists, who could top this guy at sanctimonious finger wagging, and self righteous breast beating, not to mention skipping over any pertinent details. I have see less credulous audiences at a Midnight ShamWow exhibition in Vegas, after the complimentary happy hour. Bill Nye, "The Global Warming Guy" should take lessons from this man.

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."
W. C. Fields (William Claude Dunkenfield) 1880 - 1946

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:20:56 am by SgtRock »

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:07:12 am »
And there it is, restrained as it is. Was expected a bigger response from the Rock.... ;D

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline siliconmixTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:17:37 am »
i always read rock's comment's in my mind as you would expect a drill sergeant to scream it out.i can't get out of the habit now :)

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:34:55 am »
Yep, thats about how i read his posts as well.....lol

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline dcel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:58:18 am »
R. Lee Ermey as the voice of sarge!

Chris

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:06:24 am »
It's a TED talk so it at least has some credibility. Usually the talks are all about explaining the idea and capturing everyone's attention & imagination. All the technical stuff comes later in the boring tech talks that the journalists can't bear to sit through  :P

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:30:36 am »
Any peer reviewed papers on this? Particularly the IR film.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:34:28 am »
Dear Siliconmix and PeterG:

--I am honored. Gunny Sgt. Ermey is a combat veteran, and a boni fide hero, who has shed blood for his country. I had a cousin who was a Shave Tail Marine Lt. in the Nam with Ermey, and he says Gunny Ermey is indeed the genuine article. My overseas service was in the Middle East, years ago. It was not completely safe, mind you, but it was nothing, nothing like what Ermey and the other Viet Nam Combat Vets had to go through.

“A Marine Recruit, left naked in a rubber room with two ball bearings, will lose one and break the other”
Ronald Lee Ermey, Gunnery Sergeant USMC Ret. 1944 -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:32:52 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I concur with AntiProtonBoy. I would welcome any hard data on the IR film. A switchable, frequency selectable electronic mirror, indeed does not sound completely impossible. The way the guy was going on about everything being free, was confusing me though. I think he must have meant that no additional power source, other than sunlight or waste heat would be needed, and not that there would be no costs associated with manufacture and installation. And the Light Emitter, would it produce more waste heat that could be turned into light? If so, it might need a negative feedback circuit to prevent a runaway perpetual motion reaction.

--Also I am not sure, how tight a grip the gentleman had on the Laws of Thermodynamics. You know, heat flow, from a warmer reservoir to a cooler one, entropy, Maxwell's demon, that sort of thing. You cannot violate those principles long enough or often enough, even at the quantum level, to make a profit. A Light Emitter powered by nothing but waste heat, is just another version of the heat engine. I would be very happy, if my worries turned out to be groundless, but it did sound an awful lot like a magic anything box. "We can make anything we want out of water" Huh. Oh well, maybe I misunderstood his point. but, I am going to find it very hard to forgive the man for dragging dying children into the argument. He is fighting for the lives of dying children, while the rest of us are just pud knocker, I guess. That is not exactly what I call reasoned discourse. If this guy ever lands he should be fairly easy to swat.

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
The Queen from "Alice in Wonderland" by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carrol) 1832 -1898

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 05:06:52 pm »
Any peer reviewed papers on this? Particularly the IR film.

^ This. Has anyone found any peer reviews? I could not.

Dear Siliconmix and PeterG:

“A Marine Recruit, left naked in a rubber room with two ball bearings, will lose one and break the other”
Ronald Lee Ermey, Gunnery Sergeant USMC Ret. 1944 -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

I have always enjoyed that quote. Former USMC here (I concluded active duty shortly after retiring 1/9 - the unit was disbanded after earning our battle colors back and...well, I'm sure you know the story).

These are two of my favorites:

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"
-Chesty Puller, USMC
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 05:30:24 pm »
Wow.  That was hard to watch.  Crappy conceptual design and teary eyed sensationalism.  Good video for the naive peon who understands nothing about basic sciences and technological evolution.
-Time

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:11 pm »
i have very capable imagination but unless its proven and shown with better real time and none faked evidence/proof i call it bullshit anyone can watch sci-fi or read it and get some idea like this

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:44:02 pm »
I think the Rhodesian SAS would differ on that opinion. I knew one of the instructors ( was the head of the other hanger section, and we crossed ways with each other every so often, sometimes bloodily, sometimes not, and I tried my best to keep it at not) that had "retired" and moved south. Describing him as a martinet would be easy, but he was a fair and a truthful man, who treated everybody equally. Not the easiest of people to deal with, but, once you worked his way a little you would realise that he was most often either the easiest or the right way. A terror at parades, he was delegated all parades by the RSM, who would be a figurehead whilst the actual work was done for him.

To give an idea of his way, I was about the only person who liked him, as you could always rely on him to sort out differences both quick and fair, often leaving both parties less than happy. His fitting shop lived in fear of him, along with the shops in the rest of the complex. I still have a very rare commendation awarded by him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf