Author Topic: Those old cardboard sleeved slide-charts !!  (Read 5935 times)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: Those old cardboard sleeved slide-charts !!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 01:02:34 am »
At long last I found my cache of these things.  File size limitations keep me from posting full resolution scans, but these are good enough for rough work.  I'll add a couple more in the not distant future.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:46:07 am by CatalinaWOW »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Neomys Sapiens, DrG

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 03:48:11 am »
Higher resolution attachments.  This is as good as I can fit in the file size limits.  Not even close with PNG or TIFF, zipping made little difference.  In two installments.  This is one.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Neomys Sapiens, GlennSprigg

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 03:49:17 am »
And installment two.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, GlennSprigg

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 04:23:50 am »
And one more addendum.  A link to a history of these rules.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256089590_A_history_of_slide_rules_for_blackbody_radiation_computations/link/00b495219ef40e436d000000/download

Those reading the note will be happy to note that the images above are for the accurate GEN C version of the slide chart.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 11:08:29 am »
To    CatalinaWOW...  Thank you! The quality of those images are perfectly fine!  :)
After I edit my images, they look like new. I've not forgotten this topic/project, but have been dealing with
major medical issues, as well as other commitments for a while...  Will try to upload my 1st one soon !!   ;D
I haven't even had time to work on all my new OLD Radios for repair/restoration.  >:(
Also have to keep up with the domestic chores/work for the 'missus' first, too !!   :-DD
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2021, 04:30:30 pm »
Thanks for the good words Glenn.  Hope your medical issues are under control.  And remember, this is a hobby for many of us, regardless of what we did professionally.  There are similar reasons why it took a year for me to locate my slide charts.  And they didn't come to light because I was looking for them, another project resulted in their unearthing.

Anyway here is another useful slide.  Those with a statistical background will notice that it plays a little loose with assumptions.  Most importantly much of what is presented is true only for a normal distribution exactly centered between tolerance limits.  This isn't exactly hidden, but a novice will overlook it.

Three installments.  First one here

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2021, 04:35:07 pm »
Second installment.  This actually covers it.  Once I got the back down under 4.0000 MByte (4.08 wasn't quite there) both remaining images fit in the forum limits.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 03:31:36 am »
Glenn, these are not the slide charts but simpler guide sheets. If you feel off topic I can delete them.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2021, 11:31:15 am »
Glenn, these are not the slide charts but simpler guide sheets. If you feel off topic I can delete them.

Thank you my friend!  NO, you are far from off topic !!   Thanks for your valued contribution!   :)
My main emphasis in this regard is having the basics to re-work/improve, for others...  :-+
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2021, 02:28:04 pm »

Thank you my friend!  NO, you are far from off topic !!   Thanks for your valued contribution!   :)
My main emphasis in this regard is having the basics to re-work/improve, for others...  :-+
Thank you, Glenn! If you prefer, I can try to upload higher res images.

(off-topic) did you finish restoring your BX-462A?
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 10:53:11 am »
My lucky day! A box of HP Application Notes arrived from the USA, and it turns out one of them had a HP slide calculator I hadn't seen before, clipped to it.  From 1965, still in the original envelope and in perfect condition. Just camera shots below, not scans as I'm short of desk space atm.

Btw, about scanning and PNG file size... a few hints.
1. Preprocess the images (in full hi-res RGB mode), to remove blemishes. If the paper is supposed to be a uniform color (white or whatever), make sure that the 'blank' areas in the image are actually all that exact color. The RLL compression used in PNG is useless if the background is a noisy mess. Ditto for inks - the only shading should be on the edges of inked areas. And anything 'screen printed' (an array of tiny dots) has to be converted to the actual solid color (or shading) that was the printer's intent for your eye to see. When adjusting color ranges, don't overdo it, as you'll make line & font edges look jaggy. Preserve enough luminance scale!

2. Once you've got the image looking like it was supposed to look (before print screening, dirt, paper aging, etc) messed it up, then you can optimize the final image resolution and file encoding. Scale it to the smallest size that fully preserves the finest visual detail.
Then convert it to a decent format like PNG, using a utility that allows you to adjust parameters like how many bits per pixel. If the image is B&W text, then grayscale 4 bits/pixel is adequate, since font edge shading with 16 gray levels works fine. Posterized color images with few colors can also sometimes work with 4 bits/px. Or go to 8 bits, for 256 colors. For ful color images, full palette.
One of the main strengths of PNG is its flexibility. But this advantage is lost if you don't know how to use it, or your software tools don't allow it.

In Irfanview, the 'export for web' facility lets you adjust compression factors like that and see the anticipated final file size on the fly, before actually outputting the file.
With both image background 'noise' cleanup, and final image compression mode optimization, you'll be amazed at what small filesizes can still contain hi-res clean images.

Meanwhile, three crummy JPG images below...
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 02:58:14 pm »
I am always surprised when reminded how long round CRTs lasted in high end gear.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2021, 02:30:38 am »
This was part of my post to the thread: What was the very first computer you owned or used ? (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-computing/what-was-the-very-first-computer-you-owned/msg3857438/#msg3857438.) [Neomys Sapiens] let me know about this thread, and suggested that I post this here:

The first "computer" I owned (other than that tic-tac-toe computer) was a Bell Lab's CardIAC (Cardboard Illustrative Aid to Computation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARDboard_Illustrative_Aid_to_Computation. If you would like to build your own clone, check out: https://www.kylem.net/hardware/hardware.html).

This photo is linked from Drexel's page.

Miss McGuigan, one of our math teachers, and the sponsor of the computer club gave the CardIAC to me. While still in high school, I wrote an emulator for the CardIAC on the HP 2000, in BASIC. I actually still own a CardIAC, and am working on building an electronic hardware emulator.

[Dr. G] actually found, and posted, a page from Drexel University (https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~bls96/museum/cardiac.html.) I had known about that page, but had neglected to mention it in my post, but there is a lot of really good info there, including how to implement a stack, and subroutines. They even have a simulator (I haven't tried it out, yet, but it looks pretty good.)

The Kyle Miller page (where I mention building a clone) includes a scan of the assembly instructions and the manual. I actually have made a clone of the CardIAC using these PDFs, so the scans are not too bad. I used 110 Lb card stock (US Letter Size-8.5"x11",) as did Kyle, and with using an X-Acto knife it turned out nice.

The CardIAC was (and is) a lot of fun - although tedious. :D I blame Bell Labs, and their CardIAC, for my firm grasp of assembly language. It really made the computer understandable.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, xrunner, Alex Eisenhut, Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf