Author Topic: Thought you guys would like to see my new leads  (Read 7388 times)

Offline orbiterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
Thought you guys would like to see my new leads
« on: June 29, 2010, 02:10:02 pm »
Hi all,

Got a real good surprise today when a delivery came for me. No not just because I got a delivery.. I've had tons of those. However the surprise was when I opened my new test lead set. You see I'm one of those guys who when he gets a new multimeter just uses the leads that it came with untill they're falling apart, however as my new meter wasn't just a £30 one I thought I'd treat it to a proper set of silicone leads. So I opened'em up and couldn't believe how small they where compared to the original ones. Check these out...

They're made by Pomona and have replacable tips in variable lengths/shapes and even gold :) If interested you can pick a set up from Farnells.

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
Re: Thought you guys would like to see my new leads
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »
Those ones are pointy and hurt! :P

Offline appletek

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:49:51 pm »
I like those. Happen to have a pomona model number? BTW Does anyone know if Newark Electronics and Farnells are the same company (or umbrella corp).

Edit: Never mind my silly question: Says right on the Newark Electronics website "Newark Elec. is a Farnell Co."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:54:19 pm by appletek »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »
I will say only this , the build quality of those Pomona , looks really low .

About the size , its a matter of taste , I have normal sized to large hands ,  so I need the standard ones.

alm

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »
You do know that Pomona is owned by Fluke right? And that most of Fluke's test leads are just re-branded Pomona parts? You need tiny probes if you use any recent packages, like TSSOP and SC-70. Those large probes are only good for ancient trough-hole stuff or power electronics.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:24:55 pm »
You do know that Pomona is owned by Fluke right?

What this have to do , with the specific item ?
They are not Gods ...

alm

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:38:08 pm »
What this have to do , with the specific item ?
They are not Gods ...
Nope, but few of their products are junk. These products are aimed at current electronics (sneeze and you'll never see your parts again), as opposed to the huge 1/4W resistors of yesteryear.

Offline Rhythmtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 10:06:42 pm »
Those leads kind of drive it home that CAT III is a standard not so much permission.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:27:43 pm by Rhythmtech »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:10:29 pm »
I like those. Happen to have a pomona model number? BTW Does anyone know if Newark Electronics and Farnells are the same company (or umbrella corp).

Sure.. The part number for the leads is 6275. Here's the Farnell (UK) link...

http://uk.farnell.com/pomona/6275/test-lead-with-ss-tip-probe/dp/4135799

I will say only this , the build quality of those Pomona , looks really low .

About the size , its a matter of taste , I have normal sized to large hands ,  so I need the standard ones.

I think that maybe just the picture as they do seem pretty well made, and they feel great. They're no problem for big hands either. I think one of
the better things about them compared to cheaper plastic lead sets is their ability to be moved around so easily when testing components. It's a simple thing yes but as I've never experienced that before.. it's great.

Offline Beemer

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 02:45:31 pm »
Re your large leads which are identical to those on my UT71D.   The tips have what I guess is an anti-slip indent ring for placing against a conductor post or wire.   Anyone know if anyone makes a slip-on croc tip for these (larger) leads?   The UT70D  comes with 10cm banana to croc leads but these cannot be connected to the long leads.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:39:51 pm »
Re your large leads which are identical to those on my UT71D.   The tips have what I guess is an anti-slip indent ring for placing against a conductor post or wire.   Anyone know if anyone makes a slip-on croc tip for these (larger) leads?   The UT70D  comes with 10cm banana to croc leads but these cannot be connected to the long leads.

if yours is exactly the same as my UT71A, then it is not identical to the picture shown, there got screw thread at the end of metal probe next to the rubber.... arghhh. this is what i meant....
notice the top pair of probe? thats my main workhorse for small electronics ;D
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:46:56 pm »
sorry, i missed your notes on slip-on alligator, is this what you meant? it is included in my UT71A, how come you didnt have? yours is more advanced than mine?
i think this one can easily be found anywhere, or can even DIY... i think.
i dont think i'll use this frequently, it is just too big for my small electronics. i'll prefer the size of the 10cm banana->croc.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:51:30 pm by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »
Yea I got those with my Voltcraft meter too shafri. I'm assuming my VC920 meter is pretty much tha same as the UT71D. In our cases the clips come with the meter & then the probes just stick straight into the back of them.

@ Beemer.. You should be able to get some of those clips from the likes of Maplins etc. If you have difficulty finding them just make a couple of leads up with clips on either end which works pretty good. I did that mysled as having the clips on the end of probes can be a pain as they seem too long and cumbersome.

Regards

orb
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:32:44 pm by orbiter »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 05:33:56 pm »
...I'm assuming my VC920 meter is pretty much tha same as the UT71D...
indeed! i've seen a thread here somewhere showing the voltcraft, its 100% identical to UT71 series, except the colouring and brand name.
too long probes you say? you got exactly the same problem as me! ;) i just wrap it with the "metal wire wrapper" (dont know the exact name) to make it shorter, and be it that way.

I did away with the whole thing my friend and bought the new Pomona leads ;)

Offline Beemer

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 06:26:11 pm »
sorry, i missed your notes on slip-on alligator, is this what you meant? it is included in my UT71A, how come you didnt have? yours is more advanced than mine?
i think this one can easily be found anywhere, or can even DIY... i think.
i dont think i'll use this frequently, it is just too big for my small electronics. i'll prefer the size of the 10cm banana->croc.

Exactly what I want and no they did not come with my UT70D but thanks for the Maplins tip (excuse the pun!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf