Author Topic: Thoughts on Ben Heck?  (Read 50701 times)

Offline PaskyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Thoughts on Ben Heck?
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:17:17 am »
Just curious what real world engineers (and the EEVblog community) think of Ben Heck.  Having spoken with a few I know online, they seem to lean towards disliking him for not really displaying much work, doing a lot of things off camera, and basically taking the spotlight away from others who they feel deserve more recognition.

I'm indifferent as I don't watch him.  I just remember him for his "portable" PS3/Xbox 360, haven't kept up with anything else he's done, but saw him on some youtube links after watching Dave's videos.  Curious how others feel is all.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:16:07 am by Pasky »

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Thoughts on Ben Heck?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:12:57 am »
Just curious what real world engineers think of Ben Heck.

I'm not a real world engineer. but FWIW, I don't much like his style.

Reminds me too much of marketing, jazzing it up for the camera, buzzwords, fancy video overlays, that kinda thing... which makes my skin crawl.

Horses for courses though, he gets views, so I guess he's doing something right, at least for the unwashed masses.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline PaskyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:17:31 am »
Ah, sorry I didn't mean to leave anyone out.  I re-worded my comment.

Looking at some of the stuff on his site, it's rather sloppy, with wires exposed on the exterior of things and generous use of hot glue everywhere.  Pretty bad design choice in my opinion as you could just easily snag those.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
Re: Silly question
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 04:20:28 am »
Ah, sorry I didn't mean to leave anyone out.  I re-worded my comment.

Looking at some of the stuff on his site, it's rather sloppy, with wires exposed on the exterior of things and generous use of hot glue everywhere.  Pretty bad design choice in my opinion as you could just easily snag those.
On the other hand, the stuff he builds up isn't going into outer space or being used in life/death situations...

I watch the show for comedic relief.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:40 am »
I think he's the poster boy for the Maker movement.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:27 am »
To be honest I was expecting just crickets in this thread.

My take on Ben Heck, he has his role in the new resurgence in the electronics world. Heck, I can always use a better glue gun :)

Kidding aside, he is doing a great job, just tell him not to get drunk while people are recording hangouts. Then again, that was funny!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:56:29 am »
Reminds me too much of marketing, jazzing it up for the camera, buzzwords, fancy video overlays, that kinda thing...

That's exactly what the BHS is going for, like it or not.
You have to remember that it's a big budget production, paid for, overseen, and run by Element 14.
I'm not sure how much freedom Ben actually has in the final product, but it's certainly not just his show.
BTW, you'd be shocked at how much Element 14 pay to get each episode edited and produced. Let's just say that one episode costs more than I've spent on the entire 5 years of my blog for all my camera gear, software and PC's etc

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 04:58:40 am »

They are just hacks, so no surprise.
Ben has maybe a week to complete the entire build and shoot the video etc, it's a very tough ask. I think he does very well given the time constraints.

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 05:09:01 am »
He seems to attract some audience. these days no one will appeal to everyone.

That's never been that case!
His videos seem to be about as popular as mine at a base level number of views, and then any video that involves gaming etc, the view count gets a huge boost. Probably getting linked on gaming forums and/or keyword seo for the likes of PS4/XBOX etc.
You have to remember how huge the gaming community is. Youtube's #1 channel is a gaming channel, just some dude playing games. 4 billion views.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 05:09:48 am »
Seems like I watched a couple of his shows a year or two ago. Slick and superficial... Yeah, that's what I remember. Not much substance and I wasn't very impressed. I'll have to watch a more recent one to see if they've gotten any better.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:22:09 am »
To be honest I was expecting just crickets in this thread.

My take on Ben Heck, he has his role in the new resurgence in the electronics world. Heck, I can always use a better glue gun :)

Kidding aside, he is doing a great job, just tell him not to get drunk while people are recording hangouts. Then again, that was funny!

Yeah, quoting myself, but even if no one asked for the video I'll share it.

He is a normal human being (yeah Dave you are not because we all know you don't drink  :P )

Remember folks, once in the Internet, it stays in the Internet (Forever!)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:20 am »
Just curious what real world engineers (and the EEVblog community) think of Ben Heck.  Having spoken with a few I know online, they seem to lean towards disliking him for not really displaying much work, doing a lot of things off camera

I don't like his show, but I guess he can live with that :). It has the touch of some cooking shows where they mysteriously show you the final cake and leaving out important preparation steps. And it is advertising. I should get paid to watch it.

and basically taking the spotlight away from others who they feel deserve more recognition.

That is the problem of those others.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 07:16:36 am »
The Ben Heck Shoh... Or at least Show sounds like Shoh when he says it.  Must be Wisconsin or Minnesota or thereabouts.

I watch his show from time to time.. BUT FIRST... Here's today's Ben News!

:-DD

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 08:31:30 am »
Its generally not my cup of tea, but I watch it occasionally as he does some interesting stuff.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:10:38 am »
I used to like his shows, now I realise there's not much electronics, he just shows what he is doing he doesn't really teach any real theory, I think his content is just a bit empty of content.
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:30:41 am »
Perhaps my point would be better made If I said. On YT everything is catering to a niche.

Yep, and that's why very few youtube channels, regardless of how good they might be, or how well produced, would ultimately not make the cut on mainstream TV.
One possible exception I could think of would be a few of the many excellent science based channels that are so popular these days.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:33:16 pm »
Seems odd that Element 14 are targeting that end of the market though, but what do I know?
I always thought this too. Other than selling Raspberry Pi boards they don't really cater for the hacker/maker.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 01:42:38 pm »
He gets more views than my channel :(

Yes, a shameless plug :-[

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 02:18:21 pm »
I think the Ben Heck hate is really misplaced.  Before he got the element14 gig he didn't do a video blog, I don't think, and his hacks were far fewer, longer between them, and of higher quality and design.

My main gripe with his stuff is that he seems to have everything he needs on hand or available from a friend.  no one else in the world has access to the stuff he has access to like that, so it really, really limits my ability to "draw a line" between my own abilities and his.  If I can draw a line between myself and you, then I have a path --a plan-- to get my own abilities up to yours.  If I can't draw that line, then I don't know how the hell you got to where you are and your skillset is unattainable to me.  For someone making videos meant to inspire people to "make" then having an unattainable set of resources is not exactly a good place to be.

All of that said, I'm 100% confident that Ben is indeed a good person and I believe that he's doing what he sees to be good work.  I think that's awesome.  Power to him, and a healthy "WELL DONE" to Element14 for working with him to, or letting him, produce the videos he produces.  I'm not watching but I know that there are lots of folks who are inspired to "make" more because of him.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 03:18:56 pm »
He does some neat stuff occasionally, but I much prefer the style and substance of the other Ben on Youtube (that would be Krasnow, the guy who made a scanning electron microscope, sputtering chamber, ruby laser, and  astronaut ice cream in his garage).  There's a guy who really makes me want to get off my ass and make something.  He also does a good job of explaining the overall why and how of his projects without getting mired in esoteric technical jargon (which would be an easy trap to fall into with many of his projects).

Your channel is way more interesting than Ben Heck's!

Even if it does make me insanely jealous  :-[

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »
I like watching his channel. it's in my area of interest, and I find it entertaining.
 :-+

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 04:47:01 pm »

I am AMAZED at the first video.  That is some very fine work you're doing, there.  Your Kelvin probes are freaking impressive.  Wow.

Offline beatle

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 09:18:08 am »

Not from me he doesn't!  I have had many a pleasant hour watching your awesome videos of skillful work.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 09:50:07 am »
I always thought this too. Other than selling Raspberry Pi boards they don't really cater for the hacker/maker.

Element 14 needed to tick the social media boxes and spend their million dollar budget. Probably wasn't hard for him to pop up on their radar at the time, although I'm not sure if anyone else was approached (I wasn't really, not for a complete show like this).
They wanted to do stuff with Jeri, and she started to do a few videos, but it was a raw deal and she had other interests. Maybe she put them onto Ben?
They didn't care what TBHS was really about, or who it appealed to, marketing just had to tick their box they had created a youtube show that was electronics related. They succeeded. It gets great numbers that they can surely boast about to corporate.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:47 am »
My main gripe with his stuff is that he seems to have everything he needs on hand or available from a friend.  no one else in the world has access to the stuff he has access to like that, so it really, really limits my ability to "draw a line" between my own abilities and his.

They would have given him a decent lab budget, and likely the gear and space is devoted to him doing this full time.

All of that said, I'm 100% confident that Ben is indeed a good person and I believe that he's doing what he sees to be good work.  I think that's awesome.  Power to him, and a healthy "WELL DONE" to Element14 for working with him to, or letting him, produce the videos he produces.  I'm not watching but I know that there are lots of folks who are inspired to "make" more because of him.

For sure, anyone producing content gets a big  :-+ in my book.
It doesn't matter what type of content you produce, there will always be those who don't like it, that is 100% guaranteed.
His numbers show it's very successful and he seems to have fun doing it. Huge win for him  :clap:

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 10:18:53 am »
Ben is alright. You can tell he is a genuinely nice guy, and I wish all nice people a fun, well payed job. His show could use a website where he publishes all his design files, though. And yes in a hobby hacker show you shouldn't be using laser cutters, 3D printers and precision mills. But most of his work is doable with a jigsaw and some plastics.

No shame involved. You can be proud!
Could you do a few videos on the tools you use and the basics of precise metal work. I'm really lacking any knowledge about it and just stand in awe at what you do in your videos. What's your background?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:30:23 am by con-f-use »

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:46 am »
Hi all,

I've watched a few of Ben's shows albeit I'm not a follower. I never really warmed to him in order to hit the subscribe button right away, but note to self...........I must take another look. As Dave says........anyone who creates any kind of positive content needs support/congrats.

To be fair to Ben and from my own experience of my own blog I guess it must be hard to produce a finished product/show week in, week out......assuming he can't or doesn't spread a large project over many weeks.....i.e. he needs a start, middle and end to every show.

So there begs the question.............could our Dave be poached if say Ben retired............money talks!

Ian.

Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 01:27:09 pm »
My main gripe with his stuff is that he seems to have everything he needs on hand or available from a friend.  no one else in the world has access to the stuff he has access to like that, so it really, really limits my ability to "draw a line" between my own abilities and his.  If I can draw a line between myself and you, then I have a path --a plan-- to get my own abilities up to yours.

I feel the same way with his show sometimes. It can be annoying to have a good idea presented and then have it be unattainable because it requires a CNC or something. That said, he did do an episode where he addresses this. In the episode he shows you how to make enclosures without 3D printers, CNCs or any kind of advanced equipment:

Offline Jarrod Roberson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 01:55:24 pm »
He does an excellent job for what his format/audience is.

I love that he includes design mistakes and corrections, or just shows hackish workarounds rather than perfect designs every time.

But the shows intended audience is more "short attention span theater" than listen to someone describe every discrete component on a 20 year old device tear down video for over an hour which is the other end of the spectrum. They both are valid audiences.

He also has unknown constraints about project scope, detail and other things as well as a very compressed timeline to get a show finished in a week.

Personally I enjoy his channel as much as eevblog, just like I enjoy MotoGP and F1 just as much as one another they are flip sides of the same coin to me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 02:15:56 pm »
So there begs the question.............could our Dave be poached if say Ben retired............money talks!

Unlikely.
There are more things to life than money. I've turned down many offers before.
I certainly wouldn't do it for the money Ben is being paid (last I heard), but I already have a full time successful video blog, Ben didn't when he got the offer AFAIK, so it was likely a very good offer for him.
Although I did turn down one similar paying offer before back when this was just a part time fun thing for me. That could have easily turned it full time for me, but I declined for various reasons.
With hindsight I'm glad I turned down every such offer that I have.

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 02:19:28 pm »
I prefer Dave's more in-depth style. I think he appeals more to women and gay dudes as well, with his ripped body and tight t-shirts.

If a woman ran an electronics blog, would you just stare at her breasts the whole time?
Trust me, there's much more interesting things going on in the EEVblog.

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 03:11:40 pm »
I watch Ben's show every week, but I watch it solely for entertainment. I enjoy watching videos where design and build process are compressed in a short number of minutes (build porn).

Though I have a formal electronics education, I could see his videos as encouraging for some beginners. I'm thinking of the guy who has just finished his blinky light tutorial for his Arduino and now wants a project to take him deeper. Ben offers some unique and fairly accessible project ideas to inspire that type of person. He doesn't explain every step because he doesn't want people to simply make copies of his creations, rather to get his viewers to go out and build something of their own.

I agree that when he uses his CNC or laser cutter or 3D printer it feels like kind of a cheat, but I get that using these tools is necessary when working on a weekly deadline. Any hobbyist with little budget but also not so constrained on time can figure out alternative methods with enough creativity.

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 04:11:55 pm »
I remember when Ben was only making killer portable game console mods.  He didn't do any videos and his work was superb from an artistic standpoint.  Along those lines, I've always been fascinated with his fabrication techniques.  Strangely enough, recently, his Element 114 videos don't seem to spend as much time with actual fabrication which is what he really has to offer the community.  Shame. 
Lately, I've stopped watching simply because I can't stand the interspersed video commercials.  It's really disruptive.
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »

Unlikely.
There are more things to life than money. I've turned down many offers before.
I certainly wouldn't do it for the money Ben is being paid (last I heard), but I already have a full time successful video blog, Ben didn't when he got the offer AFAIK, so it was likely a very good offer for him.
Although I did turn down one similar paying offer before back when this was just a part time fun thing for me. That could have easily turned it full time for me, but I declined for various reasons.
With hindsight I'm glad I turned down every such offer that I have.
This reminds me of an April fools you did  once about working for a test equipment manufacturer

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 05:16:12 pm »
Could you do a few videos on the tools you use and the basics of precise metal work. I'm really lacking any knowledge about it and just stand in awe at what you do in your videos. What's your background?

Glad there are a few who are enjoying them ;D

There are already a lot of videos out there on general machining practices.  I have been machining since I was 12 (49 years) Its been my hobby and vocation all that time.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:19:50 pm by robrenz »

Offline Afrotechmods

• Supporter
    • Afrotech
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:05 pm »
I like Ben. He's got a likeable personality on camera and never takes himself too seriously. While I personally don't learn much from the videos I recognize that they are good for people who are just getting into electronics and hacking. I also have a lot of respect for anyone who can demonstrate skill with not just electronics, but mechanical and industrial design as well - something I suck at! I think Element14 made a smart move bringing him on board.

Offline rjk5378

• Contributor
  • "Life is a science fair!" - Forrest Mims
    • Law Offices of Robert J. Keller, P.C.
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »
I like Ben. He's got a likeable personality on camera and never takes himself too seriously. While I personally don't learn much from the videos I recognize that they are good for people who are just getting into electronics and hacking. I also have a lot of respect for anyone who can demonstrate skill with not just electronics, but mechanical and industrial design as well.

I agree. I subscribe to the BHS podcast, but I skip almost all the gaming-related episodes (which seems to be the majority), simply because they don't interest me. I download the rest to my phone and watch them at odd times (e.g., in the waiting room at the dentist <g>). I find the episodes I do watch entertaining and often informative. Occasionally one can get some interesting ideas for hacks from the show.

The electronics is obviously not as sophisticated and varied as the EEVBlog, but if you are a relative newb (and definite amateur/hobbiest) like me, watching just about any competent EE or hacker doing anything is valuable educationally. In past generations, people learned theory from books, but they got practical and more valuable learning through apprenticeship -- a big part of which was watching the masters work. Today, thanks to YouTube and other internet-based services, one can watch substantially more projects (in both quantity and type) being done by many different "masters" all over the world. There is still no master looking over my shoulder when I try to do it myself--at least not yet; give the internet time <g>--but YouTube, etc., nonetheless allow me to leverage the observational part of apprenticeship by an exponential factor. The BHS is a small part of that.

Even if one does not like the show, the existence of it and many other demonstration/tutorial type presentations is, IMO, a good thing.
- Bob, KY3R

Offline ju1ce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:20 pm »
I think it's a good thing that Ben's videos are not heavy on theory - I just like to see what Ben builds each week. It would be a distraction if he babbled about voltage dividers and Ohm's law (I tend to skip the tech time-outs).

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 03:23:04 pm »

Holy crap, those are some great videos!  Very very neat machining techniques as well!  *subscribed*

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 01:04:56 pm »
I prefer Dave's more in-depth style. I think he appeals more to women and gay dudes as well, with his ripped body and tight t-shirts.

If a woman ran an electronics blog, would you just stare at her breasts the whole time?

Yes

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »
I think I saw one of his videos and it was fairly annoying, can't quite recall.

From this thread it sounds to me like he is a newer version of kipkay, a spokesman showing off projects that others have done. I'd have to look into it more to be sure though.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 01:22:43 pm »
Just curious what real world engineers (and the EEVblog community) think of Ben Heck.

I have to confess that I have no idea who Ben Heck is. So I googled him and watched his youtube intro video.

Seems OK to me I guess... I only watched the intro video but it looks like his presentation style and the topics will attract a lot of interest to a broad range of hobbyists.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 01:24:05 pm »
Lately, I've stopped watching simply because I can't stand the interspersed video commercials.  It's really disruptive.

That's the only issue I have with TBHS. This is why I have always turned down every offer of in-video sponsorship.
Apart from that, I don't know how anyone could have a legitimate complaint about the content.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 02:52:47 pm »
So that's what you guys do when watching a Jeri Ellsworth or Lady Ada video?
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 03:29:13 pm »

Yes

Damn! Beat me to it...
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2014, 03:23:18 pm »
As hobbyist i watch BH time to time if title of episode interest me..

Bit too much Element14 promotion for my taste. But then again i understand why the show is the way it is. Element14 is spending a lot of money on it and wants their moneys worth...

Just often wondering if a bit different show format would work better, little bit less pro Element14 and little more lets hack thing X this week..
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2014, 03:54:49 pm »

That's the only issue I have with TBHS. This is why I have always turned down every offer of in-video sponsorship.
Apart from that, I don't know how anyone could have a legitimate complaint about the content.

good thing too the last thing you want is to have a product you want to criticize and the manufatureres are your in video advertiseres, that could put you in a dificalt position

Offline Tris20

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 09:10:47 pm »

Yeah the commercials are a pain in the ass. On a similar note, TWiT commercials are also a bit of nuisance. Yet what worries me most is that they seem to be getting more and more subtle with them. Quite often I can't tell if they're genuinely promoting a product because it's good or purely because of sponsorship.

Oh yeah, and Ben heck: If a video of his looks interesting I'll watch but otherwise ignore. Think I've seen about 4 or 5 it total.

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2014, 03:04:58 pm »
As hobbyist i watch BH time to time if title of episode interest me..

Bit too much Element14 promotion for my taste. But then again i understand why the show is the way it is. Element14 is spending a lot of money on it and wants their moneys worth...

Just often wondering if a bit different show format would work better, little bit less pro Element14 and little more lets hack thing X this week..
I didn't know E14 run the BH show.
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2014, 03:18:51 pm »
Easy for me to tell the commercials. If it is US only it is a commercial......... At least with TWIT you can download the program and watch at leisure, and as the commercials invariably have a solid lower third you can easily skip them. BH show is a subscribed feed, I look at the description and if it is appealing I watch. Means I might watch 1 out of 3 but YMMV.

Offline Dinsdale

• Regular Contributor
    • pretzelogic
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2014, 03:11:39 am »
Ben's shows are pretty entertaining. Sometimes I get some inspiration from them. I don't make it a habit to watch, however. Nixie Pixel is very interesting. I've actually got more relevant info from her vlog (being a linux user). What a smart and lovely girl.
But these types of vlogs leave me wanting more detailed information. I see lots of videos that are just demonstrations of really cool projects, but nothing on how they were done. Viewers post questions that never get answered. Well, these vids are what they are. I appreciate the effort it takes to put out what there is.
But look at, for example, Kevin Darrah's 3-part 8x8 LED cube build. What a great job! I felt like I had built it myself at the end. I was worn out just watching it.
I had the idea to try my hand at Vlogging and trying to build and explain some of these "demo" projects. So I have done about six or seven little projects. I say "done", but that's only the hardware and software.  I can't believe the HUGE effort it is to document the simplest things. There is the video, which I'm trying to get comfortable with being a "performer". Besides the "live" shots, there is screen capture and hardware setups. And that all has to be edited. There needs to be a published WEB page for explanation, schematics, photos, and software downloads. It's a really major effort.
I know Dave has said that one of the main things in keeping interest up is to get new material out every week. I don't know if that's possible if every video is a project development video. I know I have a lot more respect for what Dave, Ben, Nixie, and all the other bloggers turn out for us. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway and do it at my own pace.
I think I remember Dave promising a Vlog about his production techniques and workflow (hint, hint). That would be very interesting. Can't wait for that.
This can't be happening.

Offline baconsteak

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2014, 05:10:08 am »
I thought his old picture stories were funny. Thats was in 2000 though when I was a kid. I view him more as giving inspiring entertainment.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 08:17:22 am »
Here is a shot of the credits (from a few years back)
Fair few people working on the show.
Looks like Ben does some editing (maybe a rough draft of the info he wants?) and then the graphics, production, and marketing people finish it off.
As he does upcoming promos at the end of videos, all this stuff would have to be arranged, managed and scheduled etc.
Big contrast to most other bloggers in our field who are one-man-bands.
Although Ben would have his hands full producing the new projects he does every week, I don't envy him, it would be a tough schedule.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »
This could be cool...

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »
This could be cool...

ROTFLMAO!  :-DD

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
That's going to be fun. I hope that 'plop goes the weezle' is one of the soundbites.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 11:51:11 pm »
Here is who edits and shoots his videos:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 03:38:10 am »

good thing too the last thing you want is to have a product you want to criticize and the manufatureres are your in video advertiseres, that could put you in a dificalt position

Commercial TV does it all the time,but they have a lot more bargaining power------if your competitor advertises on that channel,you don't dare not to!

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 03:51:08 pm »
I can't seriously comment on Ben I've never really watched his channel, I'm sure he does a good job, as by reading earlier post he has a big following, to me it's a bit like watching TV if you don't like it don't watch it,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:55:46 pm by M0BSW »
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2014, 04:01:04 pm »

I really like a show called Ham Nation, but the ads are really annoying, I suppose this is how the internet time is paid for, I like Bob Heil the main presenter of the show along with the other radio hams on there,  so  the ads are just about bearable if you hit the mute key quick enough.
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2014, 04:10:49 pm »
I cant watch it :(

Every time he opens he mouth I think  he's Data from ST:TNG' ginger brother.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2014, 05:52:18 pm »
When she was saying how slippery the locknuts were, I was reminded of the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts let a snail fly.

And you would have thought the BH show would have enough budget to afford a wrench for her.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »
When she was saying how slippery the locknuts were, I was reminded of the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts let a snail fly.

And you would have thought the BH show would have enough budget to afford a wrench for her.

Yeah, I was thinking "don't they have a set of nut drivers or small spanners?" when that was mentioned.  Pliers to hold onto locknuts - really?

I did watch a few more of his videos while laying out a board yesterday.  (I pick stuff that you don't need to watch very carefully, mainly listen)

The BH videos are somewhat entertaining.  No real low level detail, but they have a spot in the market too.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:04 am »
have enough budget to afford a wrench
Wow I read wench...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2014, 10:44:29 am »
Do a Google image search..........

https://www.google.com/search?q=wench&safe=off

There are actually wrenches in there, but some images are best not seen.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2014, 10:52:15 am »
Alyson is an independent video producer:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alyson-herreid/4b/418/290
And the Producer is an Emmy award winner!
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1985339&authType=name&authToken=J1iI&trk=prof-proj-cc-name
Her production company Top Bunk Entertainment are the producers it seems:
http://topbunkentertainment.com/bio
This is who charges Element 14 the big bucks, a lot more than they pay Ben to star in the show.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2014, 10:02:47 pm »
And I just got contacted by the PR company that handles TBHS.
That's another layer of 3rd party companies who take their cut.
I'm beginning to understand why the show costs E14 so much!

Anyway, they have offered the Dave'Speak device to giveaway to my audience which is cool.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2014, 05:45:11 am »
I haven't watched any of the shows for at least a year now, so maybe things have changed. Maybe...

One of the first shows (possibly the very first) introduced Ben as an artist, not an engineer, and remembering that whilst watching the shows will explain an awful lot. He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level. The BHS seems to go as far as "because hey wow cool" and "because glue gun". Props to him for flogging this well-paid dead horse for so long though.

Hmm, I know the fella who directed and produced James Burke's excellent science and engineering shows in the 70s and 80s, maybe I could get him to produce a show with me in? I would only charge $20k an episode or so. Bargain!

Talking of videos, I still watch AdaFruit's weekly advert (when I remember now that it is midweek, not at the weekend and I can have a sleep in the following day) and they do seem to be drifting off into "buying a component from China and mounting it on a pretty PCB, get some mug to write a tutorial for free then sticking a zero on the price". Still, it looks to be generating revenue in the $millions region now, reading between the lines. It also illustrates just what an unfulfilled demand there is out there for electronics gear. I give it 2 years before Limor and Phil sell it out to Sparkfun - or even Element14 - for a ridiculous Google type sum of money.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2014, 06:27:40 am »
And I just got contacted by the PR company that handles TBHS.
That's another layer of 3rd party companies who take their cut.
I'm beginning to understand why the show costs E14 so much!

Anyway, they have offered the Dave'Speak device to giveaway to my audience which is cool.

If it's a Tickle Me Dave, count me in.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2014, 07:47:35 am »
He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level.

Even if I agree with you about BH,

I present you Jeri Ellsworth, no formal training but she can bake transistors at home:

Sure others can do electronics without formal training.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2014, 08:05:00 am »
I present you Jeri Ellsworth, no formal training but she can bake transistors at home:

Very impressive. It's amazing what some people do. Reminds me that Chinese dude that built an helicopter in his back yard.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2014, 08:24:22 am »
He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level.
90% of the engineers I know, cant tell you the theory of operation of everything they use down to the electron level. That's involved quantum and solid state physics, and even professionals don't need to know all of this stuff. Part of the reason ICs were invented is to hide the complexity. If I'm designing an LED control circuit, I don't need to know how white LEDs generate their light. It's enough to have two simple equations that fall out of the sky.

Ben Heck is not targeted at solid state physicists, its target are hobbyists and for them it's almost perfect. Don't criticise a cow for not being an eagle!

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2014, 08:32:09 am »
I think you are confusing 'engineer' with scientists / physicists.  The majority of the most 'interesting' people who have been interviewed on the Amp Hour have little or no formal training.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:02 am »
One of the first shows (possibly the very first) introduced Ben as an artist, not an engineer, and remembering that whilst watching the shows will explain an awful lot. He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level. The BHS seems to go as far as "because hey wow cool" and "because glue gun". Props to him for flogging this well-paid dead horse for so long though.

I think that's a bit unfair.
The show is designed to appeal to the hacker/maker/modder crowd, in a mythbusters style build format, it is not meant to be an electronics show. As such I think Ben is a great host for it, and you have to give him credit for the ability to come up with new hacks and projects every week, that's not easy. It takes a great deal of skill, talent, and commitment. Some are quite advanced and impressive mechanical builds too.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2014, 06:02:29 am »
To be honest, 90% (probably more) of the engineering that I know, was not through my Degrees. In fact, despite my Masters being in Radio Communications, the vast majority of useful (both practical and theoretical) knowledge I have in RF has come from amateur radio. Equally, without my formal education, there would be gaps in my abilities. It provided the structure to tie together what I knew from elsewhere. I sure as hell don't know even 1% of what Jeri does about semiconductors, FPGAs and high quantity low margin production though.

Talking of whom, Jeri may not have formal qualifications (I don't know either way) but she is an engineer through and through. Some people just are, we seem to be born this way. Somehow an engineer knows another engineer, irrespective of gender, nationality, skin colour or language.

By "all the way down" I don't mean that they can mathematically model quantum effects in semiconductors. I do mean though, that they have a reasonable idea about how each model in the chain operates, and can at least give some sort of approximate model to that operation. This does not mean you have to have the ability to perform symbolic calculus.

I thought I should watch BH's latest video, the one tearing down a classic Mac. He ponders on how old the hard drive is, turning it over in his hands.  At 7m10s it shows you a nice close-up of the HDD with at least 6 1990 date codes on display, but still can't work it out. He seems amazed that they did SMD "back in the 90s". Hmm. Very good presentation skills and a clear voice though. Also, for a bloke with a workshop stuffed full of expensive gear, he has a pretty poor set of basic tools.

Total appreciation though for his ability to produce new content every week. Even with a big sponsor and assistance, it takes a lot of work. When it gets to this level of production, the guy on screen is usually just a hired actor, reading out a prepared script. Maybe with an engineer off-shot giving advice. Talking of which, I think BH's show would probably be better alongside an engineer, with Ben providing the charisma and presentation, and the engineer providing tech content.

Towger, the reason many of The Amp Hour's guests are not formally trained engineers (although I'd probably not totally agree with that)  is because we are dull buggers, who can't really talk about the work we do. Most engineers are tied up in NDA agreements, even for non-military contracts.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2014, 06:28:02 am »
Talking of which, I think BH's show would probably be better alongside an engineer, with Ben providing the charisma and presentation, and the engineer providing tech content.

You just described: BH as Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor (Home Improvement TV Series), Al Borland of course being the real deal :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2014, 06:34:38 am »
I thought I should watch BH's latest video, the one tearing down a classic Mac. He ponders on how old the hard drive is, turning it over in his hands.  At 7m10s it shows you a nice close-up of the HDD with at least 6 1990 date codes on display, but still can't work it out.

Try shooting a video blog off-the-cuff style and you'll very quickly learn that it's easy to miss stuff when you are talking, looking at stuff, thinking about what you are going to say next etc. I doubt Ben re-watches his takes and checks for mistakes or something he missed etc. It's shoot, move on, shoot, move on...
I have that problem along with the added problem of viewing a lot of my video through the camcorder viewfinder, that compounds the issue. Hence I'll miss stuff that is blindingly obvious to anyone watching the video at a higher resolution.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2014, 10:43:02 am »
This is why I have always turned down every offer of in-video sponsorship.

Apparently it works well for Twit.tv.   I don't think it would fly here.  Leo use to hock an anti virus program.....one "This week in Tech"....before the show started, on the pre-show live stream,  he said something about what crappy software it was.....so yea....

In the same fashion....not telling us if you "had to pay"/"got it for free"/"have to return it"  a piece of review equipment always raises an eyebrow with me.  I know you're the kind of guy that it won't effect your opinion (I honestly don't  - totally, totally trust your reviews - I know you're the kind of guy that will tell it like it is - even if someone gave you a $100k scope and you slammed it)  But it would be a 5 word sentence in the video.  Why not just tell us?  What's the big secret?  And don't say that people will make assumptions.  We already do!  So spill the beans!

And speaking of in video ad......A free  piece of equipment isn't  a product placement ad?  No? If I was a marking director, and I  knew I had an amazing scope(for example), that Dave would approve of, of course I'd send you one for free.  You would be puddy in my hands....like taking candy from a baby....fish in a barrel.

I think it should be up front.  I'm sure you've ranted on about this in the past....Blah!  Think of it from the viewers perspective....that's all.

Sorry if this post was kinda negative.  I do love your vids - always give a thumbs up!  Learning more and more!  Thanks Dave! 

Yes

And this I why I never recommend this forum to people. 

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:56:14 am by george graves »

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2014, 08:33:04 pm »
I thought I'll just leave this one here ...

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2014, 07:54:37 pm »
Have you seen this Dave Jones voicetoy hack?

http://youtu.be/wYo4lOuD_-Y

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2014, 09:56:10 pm »
BTW, you'd be shocked at how much Element 14 pay to get each episode edited and produced. Let's just say that one episode costs more than I've spent on the entire 5 years of my blog for all my camera gear, software and PC's etc

yeah and Dave we have received  more "bang for your bucks" ~spent,  than Ben's anyday!
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2014, 10:41:44 pm »
The BH show is more light entertainment and general ideas.  It's different to Dave's videos so direct comparisons (better / worse) are probably not really fair.

Offline Br0ski

• Contributor
  • Comms Tech
    • Worldwide Social Gamers Network
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2014, 11:15:01 pm »
Ben Heck is more general application.
More of bringing it all together.
Dave is more gritty technical. (no real comparison)
But in addition to Dave I also watch a little mjlorton
http://youtu.be/dZCU_9_xesU

Br0ski
@Br0ski47

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:38:35 pm by Br0ski »
5 yrs Electronics Technician in Military Satellite Communications: EHF/SHF/UHF/VHF/HF/VLF/ELF
I am no expert (still learning).
Worldwide Social Gamers Network - If you like to game come join us.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »
I don't mind Ben, besides he gives Dave props so respect,
You can go very far in life just having a good personality, you don't have to be Mr I know everything to be liked or loved by others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYo4lOuD_-Y&feature=youtu.be

Offline Br0ski

• Contributor
  • Comms Tech
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 09:19:44 pm »
Quote from: miguelvp on May 13, 2014, 12:47:35 AM>Quote from: Zad on May 12, 2014, 10:45:11 PM

Even if I agree with you about BH,

Sure others can do electronics without formal training.

Jeri Ellsworth is in a class of her own. She isn't a supermodel but she definitely isn't ugly. She is a hell of a resourceful chick.
5 yrs Electronics Technician in Military Satellite Communications: EHF/SHF/UHF/VHF/HF/VLF/ELF

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2014, 10:24:10 pm »
Jeri Ellsworth is in a class of her own. She isn't a supermodel but she definitely isn't ugly.

What's that got to do with anything?  :-//

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2014, 11:46:13 pm »
Jeri Ellsworth is in a class of her own. She isn't a supermodel but she definitely isn't ugly.

I think he is saying that Ben Heck is more attractive but shalower.  :)

Seriously, what kind of formal education does she have? No chemistry or physics degrees? Does she has any experience in the semiconductor industry? What she is doing is very impressive.

Another impressive lady is that Oculus (?) woman that you interviewed on the Amp Hour. She knew her stuff!

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »
If you find the technical content interesting, what does it matter if the presenter is male / female or what they look like?

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2014, 12:02:28 am »
It doesn't matter.  Some people just can't comprehend that women are people, too.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2014, 12:27:59 am »
If you find the technical content interesting, what does it matter if the presenter is male / female or what they look like?

If you care *only* about technical content then it doesn't matter. Some people have more than one interest in life though.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2014, 01:00:06 am »
Having more than one interest is good, however you shouldn't base your judgement of technical merit on gender or looks.

Offline Br0ski

• Contributor
  • Comms Tech
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2014, 02:08:51 am »
Quote from: EEVblog on Today at 03:24:10 PM > Quote from: Br0ski on Today at 02:19:44 PM

Knowledge wise Dave I think she would give you a run for your money. Perhaps I could have left my personal opinion out of it. I think you should have her visit your show. Knowledge wise it does not matter she is a female. However I am a male (person, for all you gender neutral folks) and entitled to my own opinion. Sorry if you males (people) do not feel the same. But she is making stuff from the rawest materials which is just unbelievable.

Quote from: David_AVD on Today at 06:00:06 PM
Having more than one interest is good, however you shouldn't base your judgement of technical merit on gender or looks.

I learned that along time ago never judge a book by it's cover. Leave that to the sales people.

Sticking to the thread, she puts BH in the dust.

Br0ski
@Br0ski47

P.S. For some reason when I hit quote it does not want to make my posts look all clean and organized? anyone?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:28:25 am by Br0ski »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2014, 02:37:45 am »

I don't think he did. He just provided two independent opinions on two different topics.  ;-)

Offline Br0ski

• Contributor
  • Comms Tech
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2014, 02:57:24 am »
Quote from: zapta on Today at 07:37:45 PM>Quote from: David_AVD on Today at 06:00:06 PM

I don't think he did. He just provided two independent opinions on two different topics.  ;-)

Thank you Zapta.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2014, 03:08:50 am »
Quote from: zapta on Today at 07:37:45 PM>Quote from: David_AVD on Today at 06:00:06 PM

Thank you Zapta.

I didn't say that the second opinion was appropriate for this forum ;-)

Anyway, I agree with you that what Jeri is doing is very impressive. Much more than buying Digikey parts and sticking them together as most of us here do.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2014, 05:07:19 pm »
Yup, she is a smart cookie, compare her Element 14 video contribution for reference, actually it's funny because this involves the Ben Heck's lab as well :)

http://www.element14.com/community/groups/jeri-ellsworth?ICID=hp_jerivideo_july8

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »
can bake transistors at home:

That sounds like a perfect job for a machine; or at best a technician.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »
She did it just to show it can be done, like the original designers did. No fancy fab in the beginning, and they struggled as well getting pure monocrystalline raw materials, where impurities are measured in atoms per kilogram, not parts per thousand or million typical of chemical metallurgy. That monster fab did not spring out of the ground as is, it grew from a small home baking oven and a small lab with crude chemicals.

Offline advancednewbie

« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2016, 11:20:32 pm »
I would love to see Mr. Jones drink a beer or three and see how he copes.  On the other hand, I think Ben gives a real world view into the life of an engineer no matter how outlandish he may be.  His show assumes, in a sense, that you kind of know what you are doing and provides a project (or continue there of) every week and for that I commend his effort given his situation with Element 14.  So there you go.  Take it or leave it.  But I think Ben is an all 'round good guy.   He should, however, give Felix a greater chance to show his shit to do with Linux / wiring - but that's just my opinion.

Cheers.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2016, 08:47:54 am »
I would love to see Mr. Jones drink a beer or three and see how he copes.

I don't condone excessive drinking. And I've know many people that don't drink cause they have a history of it in their family.  But, guys that don't have a drink ever, I don't trust.  Something shady going on there.

“Son, never trust a man who doesn’t drink because he’s probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They’re the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They’re usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they’re a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can’t trust a man who’s afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It’s damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he’s heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.”

James Crumley

Ben is a master of running high speed data signals all over the place, and it working.  Hats off to him.  I think he uses old 40 conductor IDE hard drive cable.  Maybe cause they are flat his can pull it off so often?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:51:29 am by george graves »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2016, 09:29:58 am »
"But, guys that don't have a drink ever, I don't trust.  Something shady going on there."

I never touch the stuff, but in my case there's a dead simple reason, I don't like the taste. Other folk drinking doesn't bother me which means that on a night out I'm probably the designated driver but I'm quite capable of having a fun night out whilst drinking lemonade or coke. I also get discounted auto insurance and medical insurance after signing a statement saying that I don't drink, that REALLY makes a difference and leaves me more money to spend on the fun things in life like ham radio gear.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2016, 11:44:29 am »
I would love to see Mr. Jones drink a beer or three and see how he copes.

Did I miss something?  :-//

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2016, 11:47:56 am »
"But, guys that don't have a drink ever, I don't trust.  Something shady going on there."
I never touch the stuff, but in my case there's a dead simple reason, I don't like the taste.

Same here.
It's an acquired taste I never acquired.
What's this got to be with Ben Heck though?  :-//

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2016, 12:45:54 pm »
Only alcohol I've ever had was a sip of wine when I was a kid, I've had no reason to drink, I don't go out and socialize, I'm broke most of the time, but I just don't see the point, there are things I could spend my money on that would be way more enjoyable, and would last way longer, like video games, or something that actually serves a practical purpose.

Granted there's also the possibility that it might just finally let me lose control of my depression and I'll slice my own neck open, I don't know how it would affect me, but the main thing is I just don't see a point.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2016, 03:23:57 pm »
To those who never acquired a taste for alcohol, be glad you didn't.  I spent a half a dozen years in my misspent youth occasionally abusing the spirits as a binge drinker and then spent another 10 as an occasional light drinker.  All I have to show for it is 20% cirrhosis of the liver, causing portal hypertension, an enlarged spleen and reduced kidney function due to recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes and drinking is not a smart thing to do.  Thankfully, SWMBO has a drink very rarely and not at home, so the temptation isn't there.  The really sad thing is that you don't buy booze, you only rent it awhile.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »
Most things are fine in moderation, including drinking. Sadly most people will be fine with the occasional drink, but there are certain people who are not. Best not to see if you fit into that second category too much.

I do not drink now, but used to. I still buy wine, but either for friends who drink or to cook with.

there is a saying locally that does not translate well into English, but the Dutch and Belgium readers will understand it perfectly well. Ek drink nie, ek rook nie, ek steek nie.....my neus in ander mense se sake nie.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2016, 08:55:40 pm »
To those who never acquired a taste for alcohol, be glad you didn't.  I spent a half a dozen years in my misspent youth occasionally abusing the spirits as a binge drinker and then spent another 10 as an occasional light drinker.  All I have to show for it is 20% cirrhosis of the liver, causing portal hypertension, an enlarged spleen and reduced kidney function due to recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes and drinking is not a smart thing to do.  Thankfully, SWMBO has a drink very rarely and not at home, so the temptation isn't there.  The really sad thing is that you don't buy booze, you only rent it awhile.
Or more like pay a little now, pay a lot later. That also applies to tobacco and other drugs as well as stuff like soft drinks and other junk food.

I tried a little wine once, didn't like the taste. And just read the MSDS on ethanol...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2016, 09:11:23 pm »
there is a saying locally that does not translate well into English, but the Dutch and Belgium readers will understand it perfectly well. Ek drink nie, ek rook nie, ek steek nie.....my neus in ander mense se sake nie.

Yep, I understand it :)

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2016, 12:07:49 am »
So that's what you guys do when watching a Jeri Ellsworth or Lady Ada video?

No for them, yes for Becky Stern (adafruit) when she was still making vids there.   :clap:
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2016, 01:18:40 pm »
“Son, never trust a man who doesn’t drink because he’s probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They’re the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They’re usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they’re a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can’t trust a man who’s afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It’s damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he’s heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.”

That hyperbole reads like the insecure self-justification of a drunkard who has already pickled two-thirds of his brain.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »
Just curious what real world engineers (and the EEVblog community) think of Ben Heck.  Having spoken with a few I know online, they seem to lean towards disliking him for not really displaying much work, doing a lot of things off camera, and basically taking the spotlight away from others who they feel deserve more recognition.

I'm indifferent as I don't watch him.  I just remember him for his "portable" PS3/Xbox 360, haven't kept up with anything else he's done, but saw him on some youtube links after watching Dave's videos.  Curious how others feel is all.  Thoughts?

Watchyed a few videos, I'm of a similar opinion to you, I find my youtube kicks elsewhere and far more in depth.

I think he's ok for hooking n00bs into the hobby/profession but they'll soon be over him.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2016, 08:40:40 pm »
Yep, and that's why very few youtube channels, regardless of how good they might be, or how well produced, would ultimately not make the cut on mainstream TV.

I was just at the auto shop having a belt replaced and saw this show for the first time on a TV tuned for the pickup-truck crowd:

http://www.diynetwork.com/shows/the-treehouse-guys

This is a well produced show for a very niche subject.  I am not sure what "would ultimately not make the cut on mainstream TV" anymore if you count some of these cable channels.  Maybe Ben Heck could make it. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:42:24 pm by JoeN »
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2016, 10:14:39 pm »

Watchyed a few videos, I'm of a similar opinion to you, I find my youtube kicks elsewhere and far more in depth.

I think he's ok for hooking n00bs into the hobby/profession but they'll soon be over him.

1) Clearly he's an accomplished, largely self-taught individual, with cross-discipline skills. That I like.

2) But then I question how much he does know when I see him tryng to probe an LVDS LCD.

3) I don't know what value the other individuals on camera offer that he can't.

4) There is so much glossing over stuff that I don't learn anything, I'm left to question if he really does know how to configure up an FPGA project by himself after all.

5) I don't think it's easy, what he's trying to achieve, given the direction his paymasters will be demanding. The question is, do his paymasters have a clue what the audience want, if they are to gain and keep subscribers?

6) No, I don't subscribe to his channel, because I never learn anything.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2016, 01:40:53 am »
5) I don't think it's easy, what he's trying to achieve, given the direction his paymasters will be demanding. The question is, do his paymasters have a clue what the audience want, if they are to gain and keep subscribers?

Element 14 marketing wanted to jump on the video channel bandwagon and had a huge budget to do it with. They wanted a huge flagship channel for their (then and still) crap Element 14 community.
They approached all the bloggers (me included) to produce content for their silly community system. All the smart players said no or quickly dropped out when they saw they got a handful of views for posts, but Ben (who is smart) did some deal that got him a full time gig out of it. So he got to do what he loved and the budget to do it with, good on him. How that actually went down I don't know.
Element 14 didn't care that console modding type stuff was not anything close to their core customer base, that didn't matter to them. If it had a hint of electronics that was good enough so that marketing could go "tick" on their social media KPI and have their own platform to insert ads into.

At the time Element 14 were paying HUGE money to a production company to edit each video, you'd be shocked at how much. Ben was getting a fraction of that.  I think that's changed now and Ben (or someone who works for him?) does the editing?

The big winner out of this is Ben, but it would be interesting to know who owns the rights to "The Ben Heck Show" name and youtube channel? I hope it's Ben.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2016, 05:56:01 am »
Element 14 didn't care that console modding type stuff was not anything close to their core customer base, that didn't matter to them. If it had a hint of electronics that was good enough so that marketing could go "tick" on their social media KPI and have their own platform to insert ads into.
One thing that always strikes me as 'odd' is how the E14 ads that are placed in the middle of the show episodes look totally out of place (target wise) compared to the average show contents. Yet with little effort they could catch much more value than using the whole show only to invite typical hobbyists/modders to join their community website.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2016, 10:25:22 am »
At the time Element 14 were paying HUGE money to a production company to edit each video, you'd be shocked at how much.

Since the quality, format, and lengths of the videos remained the same, and not much has changed - not sure if that is true. If that "production company" was doing anything, it wasn't much. Maybe there was a middle man producer in there sucking up some dough.

Coming from the video production world, as I have, I've been the director for $25k projects for 15 mins of a talking heads, multiple cams, and good audio - it's not out of line at all.  But with that, you get a lot more then just a point-and-shoot video.

Dave, the saying you're looking for is "Content is King" - so if you can make that content with a sub $2k camera and a workbench, then you're golden.  Spending 20k a video won't help you much - if at all.  But on the other hand, say you want to make a documentary that is 15 mins long, and you need to hire a company to do it, yea, $25k is the staring point.

With that said, there is a place for well produced videos of (mechanical and electrical) engineering.  No one has tapped that market yet. Mythbusters was kinda close.  "Prototype This", got even closer.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:35:23 am by george graves »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2016, 11:57:47 am »
At the time Element 14 were paying HUGE money to a production company to edit each video, you'd be shocked at how much.
Since the quality, format, and lengths of the videos remained the same, and not much has changed - not sure if that is true.

Well I don't know for sure but I was told by someone directly involved in it. This was right back at the start.

If that "production company" was doing anything, it wasn't much. Maybe there was a middle man producer in there sucking up some dough.

Likely. But I heard it was farmed out to an editing/production company. I was told it was basically editing, I don't know about "production".

Dave, the saying you're looking for is "Content is King"

Yes, I've said that countless times.

But on the other hand, say you want to make a documentary that is 15 mins long, and you need to hire a company to do it, yea, $25k is the staring point.

Sure, but E14 didn't have have to spend $20k an episode for The Ben Heck Show. It would have worked just as well on a fraction of that.
But that's how big companies work, the marketing team probably got a quote from a production company and management didn't blink at $20k an episode when they were pouring millions and millions into getting their new "community" site up and running. TBHS was the flagship driver on that new site, they would have spent anything.

With that said, there is a place for well produced videos of (mechanical and electrical) engineering.  No one has tapped that market yet.

Yes they have:
https://www.youtube.com/user/engineerguyvideo

Mythbusters was kinda close.  "Prototype This", got even closer.

And Joe Grand thought the experience was so horrible he wouldn't do it again and doesn't recommend that anyone else do either IIRC.
Engineering is not really compatible with TV production schedules.
http://www.theamphour.com/the-amp-hour-60-pancyclopaedic-prototyping-polymath/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:07:52 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:08 pm »
With that said, there is a place for well produced videos of (mechanical and electrical) engineering.  No one has tapped that market yet. Mythbusters was kinda close.  "Prototype This", got even closer.
It is not a huge market. They have tried numerous times to put mechanical engineering shows on prime tv and each and every time they scratched the engineering and made some nonsense soap story out of it. Good example is for instance American Restorations, first season was excellent they showed what work went into restoring the items in detail, then it all was about the people their social (fake) interactions, the boobs of the wife etc. It just shows that the majority of people are not interested in craftmanship and just want stupid entertainment.
So glad there are forums with specialist content and interaction, i never watch tv anymore, it is GIGO.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2016, 12:31:35 pm »
I like Ben Heck! He is not an engineer, but he does some interesting builds which help give you ideas. But the videos are by no means step-by-step tutorials. I consider it fun, casual, non-technical inspirational content meant to get people making stuff, and if they happen to buy the parts they need from Element 14, so be it. All in all, he has a nice channel but it is Apples to Oranges comparison with EEVBlog and other channels. Nice to have some variety.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2016, 12:44:05 pm »

Yep, I understand it :)
To my mild surprise: So do I :)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2016, 09:47:42 am »
Yes they have:

No he hasn't.  I love his videos, but they are still marketed to the "reddit" and "facebook" crowd. Easy to understand, and easily digestible by what I consider the gold standard, my mother.  If my mother can follow it, it's watered down.

"Prototype This" was interesting and worth a mention (despite Joe Grand's bad experience with a production company - no surprise there) in that at least they would put all their notes and source code online. Never seen that before for a national televised TV show.

There is room for a well produced engineering videos WITH details IMHO.

And since were posting examples of that.  Two come to mind.

Secret Life Of Machines

And in the US at least, we had on PBS (our version of the BBC) Physics lectures (from MIT?) that were animated and shown during the day.  Can't find a link, but they were awesome.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:59:40 am by george graves »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2016, 10:13:28 am »
Yes they have:
Secret Life Of Machines

And in the US at least, we had on PBS (our version of the BBC) Physics lectures (from MIT?) that were animated and shown during the day.  Can't find a link, but they were awesome.

And I'll repeat it, Tim Hunkin of Secret Life of Machines fame is a great guy, he's still making all sorts of weird and wonderful machinery plus, this is the great bit, he'[s made his Secret Life of Machines series available for download for free.

http://www.timhunkin.com/41_slom1.htm

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2016, 01:45:17 pm »
Secret Life Of Machines

I love both of those shows. I believe that the physics lectures you're thinking of were https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanical_Universe, which was done at Cal Tech. Occasionally you can find Mechanical Universe on youtube, but it never lasts long before it's taken down.

Between those two shows and Mr. Wizard's World, I learned a LOT of what I know about science.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2016, 02:01:09 pm »
Yes they have:
No he hasn't. 

Yes he has. You said well no one was doing well produced engineering videos, his videos are very well produced.
Doesn't matter that his intended market is the 7 minute attention span internet sweet spot, he nailed it and he's been very successful at it.
In fact his latest Faraday lecture series are 20 minutes videos, so he's doing longer ones now too.
His production style and delivery etc could easily be expanded to a regular half hour TV time slot length, without any changes at all, just with more detail inlcuded.
He's deliberately keeping them short for the intended internet audience.

The problem will always be ones of broad appeal vs detail. I think it's likely impossible to include a lot of detail and grow a large mainstream public audience. They aren't just mutually exclusive, but higher technical detail has a well known and measurable affect on mainstream appeal. That's why no one's doing it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:29:59 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Kevman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2016, 03:22:02 pm »
Did anyone catch the latest episode?

It tears down the Super Nintendo CD prototype, and contains a Dave Jones reference a few minutes in.  :-+

I think its by the guy who owns the SNES CD, but I can't really tell for sure.

Offline Spyke

• Contributor
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2016, 07:08:26 pm »
Ugh the flashy overproduction almost kills his videos for me, but he also ignored the #1 rule: Thall shalt check voltages!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf