Author Topic: Throttle Controllers  (Read 4212 times)

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Throttle Controllers
« on: March 30, 2021, 05:45:48 pm »
Hi Guys :)
I have a theory that throttle controllers such as iDrive have to be a big fat scam.

Modern cars feature fly by wire, and their accelerator pedals contain a spring, and a sensor that is just a variable resistor.
These boxes are supplied with power, and interface between the accelerator (or throttle position sensor), and the plug that normally plugs straight into the throttle position sensor.

So how can this box claim to reduce “throttle lag” or do anything at all that can’t be reproduced by different pressure of the foot on the pedal?
Anything I’m not considering here?

I understand that this thing could, and obviously does indeed remap the resistance curve normally presented by the TPS.... but the claims of these things seem to imply further than that.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 05:48:21 pm by @rt »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Throttle Controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 05:50:35 pm »
Never heard of them, but it sounds like it does exactly that, remap the curve to create a feeling of more power. Back in the carburetor days it was common for gearheads to mess with the linkage to make the throttle open more aggressively, it made the car feel really punchy off the line but it was only an illusion, obviously it didn't actually allow the engine to develop any more power, it just made the throttle more twitchy.

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 05:57:53 pm »
Never heard of them, but it sounds like it does exactly that, remap the curve to create a feeling of more power. Back in the carburetor days it was common for gearheads to mess with the linkage to make the throttle open more aggressively, it made the car feel really punchy off the line but it was only an illusion, obviously it didn't actually allow the engine to develop any more power, it just made the throttle more twitchy.

I’m not actually sure if this kind of link is allowed, but I’m obviously not advocating it. They aren’t cheap either.
https://www.autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Brands/Evc/THROTTLE-CONTROLLER-3-MODES-EVC652/p/PE59007?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmIuDBhDXARIsAFITC_5mzOEglWyzv6h_zOCfcEyD1sqtw9UMXqTbkapIJravqbSUr84P0S0aAkyTEALw_wcB

I figure most vehicles would work this way nowadays, and mine is one of those. I’m in Facebook groups pertinent to my vehicle, and these things come up often,
as do adds for the things in my feed.
There are videos about them with a pair of identical cars racing each other etc.. or the same car with the device enabled/disabled.
This is where I think things are going way too far. many actual users swear by them.

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:33:43 pm »
Hi Guys :)
I have a theory that throttle controllers such as iDrive have to be a big fat scam.
There are people that deliberately put some controller in between acceleration pedal and throttle body.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 12:07:43 am »
What we really need is a controller that shuts down the throttle whenever the brake pedal has any pressure on it....to get rid of the idiots that can't keep their left foot off the brake and their brake lights are always on.  >:D  |O

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 12:25:29 am »
So how can this box claim to reduce “throttle lag” or do anything at all that can’t be reproduced by different pressure of the foot on the pedal?
Anything I’m not considering here?
You still have to overcome the (small, but I guess if you're racing, every tiny bit counts...) inertia of the pedal, so if it changes the curve such that 1% throttle becomes 10%, it will feel more responsive.

That said, I suspect drive-by-wire is more for reducing emissions than anything else - and of the cars that I've tried which have it, there is a noticeable lag between punching the pedal and the engine responding. This is especially noticeable with a diesel. They deliberately limit the acceleration of the engine below the smoke-point.

Offline Mazo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 09:29:19 pm »
Drive by wire has a gazillion advantages.Never heard of this product,but a glance at the first page of their site makes me think they are semi-legit(no claims of higher power?).Indeed setting a higher "target" with this device or just by simply mashing the throttle might result in reduced lag.A lot of ECU's(or atleast that I know of) deliberately add lag(even pushing the ignition advance on gasoline engines) when there is a step change on the throttle.Why?To prevent the jerk in the drivetrain that follows when you do that on a big engine especially.
You are right though,nothing you can't reproduce without that thingy.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 12:44:55 am »
What advantages? I don't doubt that it has some, but I have never really had any complaints about the old fashioned throttle cable in my car. I'm generally a fan of simple, direct mechanical links like that vs more electrical connections and sensors. Thinking about problems I've fixed in various cars, connections and sensors are some of the most common non-consummables I've had to repair or replace. 

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 02:23:00 am »
What we really need is a controller that shuts down the throttle whenever the brake pedal has any pressure on it....to get rid of the idiots that can't keep their left foot off the brake and their brake lights are always on.  >:D  |O

How are you supposed to do a brake stand with Dad's car with that kind of technology??  :D

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 02:26:42 am »
Applications engineers that work on the engine management systems of modern cars spend a LOT of time getting the "feel" of the accelerator "just so".  This is mostly done by testing on the track and on the road...  after all, only a human driver can tell you how the accelerator "feels".

And the "feel" that they aim for will be different depending on the target market.   The electronic throttle in a Mustang GT will not have the same goals for throttle response as a Toyota Camry!  :D

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 03:54:53 am »
This is the wall of text I see most often on one of the Facebook adds.
I have a 4WD, and look at 4WD stuff, so that’s probably why it keeps being shown to me.

WHAT IS THROTTLE LAG?
Well first we have to take you back to the good old days of throttle cables and carburetors. In the old days, the gas pedal was directly connected to the engines throttle plate by a cable, and any lack of response from the engine could be attributed to a couple of things. Either the cable has stretched enough to create slack and, consequently, a delay in pedal response, or the engine was out of tune which meant it was not making as much power as it should've been. Easy fix, buy a new throttle cable for $20 and get your carby tuned. Nowadays though it's not that simple.
Let's look at how electronic throttles work. Instead of a cable, the pedal is now connected to what essentially are potentiometers. They generate a certain amount of voltage which the ECU reads and equates to throttle angle openings. They first of all measure how far your foot travels when you push the pedal to a certain point as well as how fast you pushed the pedal to reach that point. The ECU then sends a signal to the butterfly position sensor which controls the opening rate of your butterfly on the throttle body, and opens it up by the amount programmed into the ECU for a given voltage generated at the pedal. There is also a feedback sensor on the throttle body which informs the ECU that the throttle butterfly is doing what it is supposed to (i.e. opening the throttle up to the angle dictated by the ECU).
Now, like with most electronic control systems, there is redundancy built into drive by wire systems. Instead of just one demand sensor at the pedal, there are two. Same goes with the feedback sensor at the throttle body. This is to avoid loss of control should one fail. The complex nature of this system with its variety of potentiometers, computers, sensors and management systems is what results in a noticeable delay when you first hit the pedal, known as throttle lag or dead zone. No matter how hard or fast you stomp on your accelerator there is no overcoming this delay, it is an inherent electrical delay that physical input cannot overcome.
Why the change from a physical cable to invisible electrons telling your engine what you want to do? Well a few reasons, first of all the electronic throttle system is a lot lighter, reducing weight in modern cars, also they are far easier to service and tune, simply hook up a computer and let it do the work for you. It is also worth mentioning the impact of emissions control in regard to switching to electronic throttle systems, using electronics allows for much more precise control of the throttle opening compared to a cable that stretches over time. It also allows the throttle response to be programmed in by the manufacturers. Yup, that's right. The throttle response on drive-by-wire control systems can be programmed. This is where the EVC Throttle Controller comes in.
The EVC Throttle Controller modifies the voltage signal from the drive-by-wire pedal assembly to allow you to tune the response from your accelerator pedal and greatly reduce the dead zone from when you initially depress the pedal, commonly referred to as throttle lag. The EVC does this by providing new points of reference for the vehicle's throttle mapping. It is still working within the standard parameters; however, it introduces a far sharper throttle curve. It is also actuating the throttle earlier in the pedal stroke, introducing petrol and air into your engine earlier in the throttle stroke thus improving throttle response and performance.
The real benefit of the EVC though is its ability to give you complete control over the throttle response of your vehicle, if your vehicle is too responsive you can dampen its response to a level that suits your driving style. You can also change the EVC's settings and modes on the fly so if you are driving along the freeway and need to overtake someone, crank the iDRIVE up a few levels to deliver better throttle response, or if you are towing a trailer/ caravan you can bump up the throttle settings to account for the extra added weight. Don't just take our word for it though, every EVC comes with a 30-day money back guarantee so you can try the EVC and see its effectiveness for yourself.
Check it out for yourself:

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 07:50:08 am »
This:

The complex nature of this system with its variety of potentiometers, computers, sensors and management systems is what results in a noticeable delay when you first hit the pedal, known as throttle lag or dead zone.

...is simply untrue.

If there's a lag when you increase pressure on the accelerator, it's because the car's ECU has been programmed to keep the engine running closed-loop whenever possible. Closed-loop means the fuel/air ratio is controlled, making use of the lambda sensor, to maintain the ideal mix for complete combustion.

Small increases in power can be accommodated this way, but a rapid or major increase in power output requires running the engine in open-loop mode. The amount of fuel is increased, the fuel/air ratio increases, the engine produces more power, and hydrocarbon emissions go up. Thus, for emissions reasons, the ECU is programmed to avoid doing this unless it's definitely required.

Any resulting delay in throttle response is not due to "the complex nature of this system"; it's a side effect of this deliberate feature of the ECU.

That doesn't mean a delay when you actually do call for more power is desirable, though.

A device that essentially remaps the position of the throttle pedal can't overcome pure delays that exist in the ECU's programming, but it might mean that a relatively small increase in pedal travel is enough to exceed a programmed threshold for what constitutes a 'small' throttle opening vs a 'large' one.

It's not doing anything you couldn't do just by pressing harder on the pedal, but if it means the overall system response matches the driver's preference or expectation, it's no 'worse' than having a seat that slides forwards and backwards to make the reach to the pedals more comfortable.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 02:40:28 pm »

There isn't anything wrong with re-tuning the "feel" of the throttle pedal, it is no different than customizing anything else on your ride...

I sometimes drive a friend's muscle car, which uses an electronically controlled throttle.  Let's just say that throttle response is not as much of an issue as making the rear tires last for longer than 20 miles or so!  :D

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 06:12:27 pm »
Modern cars feature fly by wire, and their accelerator pedals contain a spring, and a sensor that is just a variable resistor.

The ones I have studied use a reversed redundant pair of hall-effect sensors and not any sort of resistive element.  Personally I think this is still reckless because of additional failure modes compared to reversed redundant pair of LVDTs or RVDTs with AC excitation and synchronous detection.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 08:27:01 pm »
Applications engineers that work on the engine management systems of modern cars spend a LOT of time getting the "feel" of the accelerator "just so".  This is mostly done by testing on the track and on the road...  after all, only a human driver can tell you how the accelerator "feels".

And the "feel" that they aim for will be different depending on the target market.   The electronic throttle in a Mustang GT will not have the same goals for throttle response as a Toyota Camry!  :D

They did that on old cars too. I remember discussing this a while back with a friend, he was talking about a car someone he knew had in the 80s that had a really aggressively tuned throttle, it was done so that if you just touched the gas from a stop it would feel powerful, puttering around town it gave that feeling of "whoa, this thing really wants to go!" but then if you actually stomp on it, it would pretty much run out of steam. It was not a very powerful car, it was just tuned to create the illusion of being powerful.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 11:36:46 pm »
They did that on old cars too. I remember discussing this a while back with a friend, he was talking about a car someone he knew had in the 80s that had a really aggressively tuned throttle, it was done so that if you just touched the gas from a stop it would feel powerful, puttering around town it gave that feeling of "whoa, this thing really wants to go!" but then if you actually stomp on it, it would pretty much run out of steam. It was not a very powerful car, it was just tuned to create the illusion of being powerful.

I am not surprised they would do something like that.  They play that game with modern electronics also.  For example cell phone signal level bars have their dynamic range altered so that they are more likely to show maximum indicating a good connection even when it is poor.

Old enough cars had progressive carburetors so at least you could feel the additional resistance when the next set of butterfly valves opened.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 03:24:05 am »

Many cars are tuned to feel powerful by applying a lot of throttle at the beginning of the pedal movement.   This is exactly what you don't want for fine control in snow or slippery conditions, of course...   

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 08:11:11 am »

And on high-end cars they do this mapping or tuning for both "sports" or "comfort" driving operation as well.

Technically speaking you could just measure the throttle position, scale it to 0 ... 1, and then apply a sqrt() (or any fractional power for that matter) function on it to incredibly make it more punchy at the low end of the curve. Likewise if you want to soften it, you could square (or any power between 1 and 2) the value to make it incredibly slow at the low end. In that regard, these after market devices are not rocket science. They are purely an illusion or perhaps even a driver aid for economical driving.

IMO: If there is one throttle curve that is 'correct' or "ideal"; then tune the output of the drivetrain (e.g. if you have hybrid systems) to deliver a certain torque demand. Then linearize the throttle position to the capabilities of the drivetrain, both in retardation as in acceleration. Depending on how you scale the capabilities, you could even make it independent of engine rpm, vehicle gear or vehicle speed (as that will naturally increase vehicle retardation). The upside is that torque is what you feel will push you back into your seat, so will be relevant in feedback to the driver. You could make that feeling very predictable without knowing what the drivetrain under the hood is doing. The downside is that at certain speeds the drivetrain is not able to always deliver that torque demand.
Or just buy an electric motor.. I believe those are typically quite linear and ideal :-DD

Anything that makes that ideal throttle response softer/harder is just market tailoring torwards comfort or sport packages.

I am not surprised they would do something like that.  They play that game with modern electronics also.  For example cell phone signal level bars have their dynamic range altered so that they are more likely to show maximum indicating a good connection even when it is poor.

Old enough cars had progressive carburetors so at least you could feel the additional resistance when the next set of butterfly valves opened.

I recognize my Ford Fiesta in this. On the lower half of the RPM range, it's already pulling full torque with 1/3 or 1/4 throttle position. The rest of the pedal is dead. Doesn't do anything. :palm:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:13:18 am by hans »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 01:04:27 pm »
[...]
IMO: If there is one throttle curve that is 'correct' or "ideal"; then tune the output of the drivetrain (e.g. if you have hybrid systems) to deliver a certain torque demand.
[...]

That is pretty much exactly how the throttle works in my hybrid Ford - which is extremely good in snow and ice because the torque can be controlled almost perfectly to the point just before spinning the wheels in all but the most extreme slippery conditions.  During snow storms, I have rescued a lot of stuck 4wd vehicles with this car, where the owners got a little overconfident! - my favourite comment from one guy, looking down at my wheels, "Are those summer tires?!?"  (yes, they were!)

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 04:14:34 pm »
That said, I suspect drive-by-wire is more for reducing emissions than anything else - and of the cars that I've tried which have it, there is a noticeable lag between punching the pedal and the engine responding. This is especially noticeable with a diesel. They deliberately limit the acceleration of the engine below the smoke-point.

I've never driven a diesel, so I have no experience with how drive-by-wire works in that scenario, but I can tell you that on an electric car like my Tesla, there is no noticeable lag at all between punching the pedal and the car responding. It's much better than my previous IC car, which did have some lag. Plus you can tune the response as well, including turning off "creep" so the car doesn't move with your foot off the pedal like IC cars with automatic transmissions do.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 09:18:07 pm »
Electric vehicles don't have to worry about emissions, and motors can provide full torque at 0 RPM. I haven't touched a Tesla but have tried a trolleybus before, they have a surprisingly large amount of torque for such a huge vehicle and can accelerate ridiculously fast.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 09:55:33 pm »
I drive a hybrid that has a 'sport' mode (GTE) and a normal hybrid mode.

The normal hybrid mode has deliberate lag applied to it - ie you put your foot down and it waits a bit before it selects the lower gear and accelerates up.  I think this is designed to improve fuel economy with twitchier drivers, but it's damn annoying if you actually know how to drive. 

I end up just switching it to 'sport' when I want the extra responsivity, then take it out of this mode when I don't.

Interestingly the adaptive cruise control is also more aggressive in 'sport' mode.  But, the output power is the same (204 PS/150kW) in all modes, so 'sport' is an illusion, provided you don't mind the slightly slower throttle map. 

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 10:23:03 pm »
One nice thing about drive by wire - adding a cruise control function is simply a bit of extra code in the ECU. Everything else is already there.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 11:27:37 pm »
I don't know that it really makes much difference for that, even on older cars cruise control is not exactly complicated. Mine consists of a control box that gets a signal from the speedometer, switches on the brake and clutch pedals, a vacuum servo connected to the throttle spool and a little vacuum pump/solenoid valve. Drive by wire adds complexity over a throttle cable, being able to add cruise control at that point isn't really gaining anything.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 10:15:29 am »
Adaptive cruise control is quite clever though.  I've always wondered how my car knows exactly how much to brake and accelerate by, in stop-start traffic for instance it gets the braking to a stop and acceleration almost perfect.  It can get a bit rough if someone cuts in, then it brakes harder than usual but that's probably a safety system given the radar doesn't see the other car until they get past about 25% of my vehicle so it would end up braking later than an attentive driver.  And sometimes it rolls back very slightly on a hill before setting off, but only intermittently, like it's not quite sure how much acceleration to use.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 12:56:35 pm »
one of our products' aim is to reduce "throttle lag" as in this iDrive box.
Yes, it's exactly as pressing the throttle pedal differently.
Yes, it's perceived as reduced lag.
Yes, it sells real good.

Why it works?
1) The throttle is the only way we have to command the car to accelerate, a change in response can be easily perceived and for most people more responsive = better. So there is an important psychological factor at work.
2) Most "ECO" or "SPORT" modes at their core will change the curve of the throttle, many will stop at that.
3) Most first stage tuners, will also change the throttle response map so the driver perceive more sensitivity. On newest cars, some will stop at that.
4) Bonus: Some cars will accelerate differently if they perceive that the throttle pedal is put down faster (not talking about kickdown of course)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 01:10:43 pm »
It is always fun to customise your car.  The advent of electronics and computerized controls just means the nature of how we modify has changed, and will continue to change.

Imagine how guys will be modifying their cars in the year 2100....   hacking their self driving cars by implanting an Arnold Schwarzenegger core in its neural network! :D

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:40 am »
Mmmh, hacking a tesla should be fun. There are already reports of guys that "enabled" performance mode via canbus, sold a box to do that, and tesla giving them the giant middle finger via an OTA update that detected the box. I mean, what if i am OKAY with losing the warranty and modifying my own car, at my own risk?
Teslas are a good representative of the car of the very near future will be: connected, that can be monitored without your explicit say-so, not really yours anymore. a cloud based car. (others are already catching up)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 05:41:43 am »
The Tesla drivetrain is very impressive, but the connected aspect is a total non-starter for me. No way I would ever buy one, not gonna happen, ever. A Tesla motor and battery with an open source controller in a cool 80s-90s car would be awesome though.

My dad had a Tesla for a while before he passed away, like my grandfather he loved gadgets but I was just not impressed. I remember at one point he picked my brother up somewhere and saw a notification that the car had an update available, so he let it go ahead and update thinking it would take a few minutes, turned out they had to sit there for around 30 minutes with the car inoperable while it updated :palm:

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 01:27:47 pm »
Ordinary cars get updated too, it just isn't wireless (it happens during dealer servicing).  I can see arguments in favour of doing the updates via the Internet, but there are many arguments for not doing so too!

In the long term, I think @JPortici is right:

[...] Teslas are a good representative of the car of the very near future will be: connected, that can be monitored without your explicit say-so, not really yours anymore. a cloud based car. [...]

That whole idea just rubs me the wrong way,  yet another item that we are not permitted to own outright but instead have to expend a daily effort (some percentage of our working life) to not just maintain, but also create profit for various corporations involved in the process.

I have nothing against corporations making a profit...   when I purchase something from them.   I don't like paying for the same item over, and over, and over...   it seems the holy grail of modern marketing is to try to pretend that any product is now a "service" rather than a "product".   

On one level they are right, of course...  even your underwear is a "service" in that it has to be washed and replaced at regular intervals -  but the question is, why would I outsource those processes to a corporation and subscribe to my underwear??  :D

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 06:26:45 pm »
On one level they are right, of course...  even your underwear is a "service" in that it has to be washed and replaced at regular intervals -  but the question is, why would I outsource those processes to a corporation and subscribe to my underwear??  :D

You know, I think I'd rather subscribe to underwear than subscribe to software. I'm happy to use the same version of MS Office for 20+ years, I mean name one tangible improvement to that product in the last decade, I can't think of one. I am not going to wear the same pair of underwear for 20 years though :o I have to expend effort washing it and replace it when I notice it getting worn out. If I could pay a modest fee to always have a supply of clean new underwear on hand and never have to wash or maintain it, that almost sounds appealing.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 06:59:29 pm »

You know, I think I'd rather subscribe to underwear than subscribe to software. I'm happy to use the same version of MS Office for 20+ years, I mean name one tangible improvement to that product in the last decade, I can't think of one. I am not going to wear the same pair of underwear for 20 years though :o I have to expend effort washing it and replace it when I notice it getting worn out. If I could pay a modest fee to always have a supply of clean new underwear on hand and never have to wash or maintain it, that almost sounds appealing.

LOL yes, you make a good point...   Office is still decently usable in its latest incarnation precisely because they haven't changed much - other than the "paint job"! 

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 07:50:16 pm »
A couple of random thoughts to share on various responses in this thread:

* Some throttle position sensors (TPS's) use a dual potentiometer where the slopes are inverted relative to each other. The ECU understands this and correlates the detected throttle position based on the (intentionally dissimilar) values it reads from the two pots. This prevents a short across the two pots from being missed. If EITHER pot's value doesn't correlate with the other, the ECU (at least) gives a warning and (at worst) goes into "limp mode" where RPM's are severely limited - basically enough that you're not stranded but not fast enough to put you in too much danger since as far as the ECU is concerned, you no longer have actual control of the engine.

* The terms "leading throttle" and "lagging throttle" have a couple of definitions depending upon context. This thread has used one, but the more common I hear is the relationship between the engine loading and the throttle position. To illustrate an extreme example of "throttle lag", imagine a moving car where you've completely released the throttle but left the clutch engaged. The engine compression is now acting as a brake, slowing the car, so the throttle is "lagging" behind what is necessary to match the losses and maintain speed. On the other end, a "leading throttle" is enough throttle that the engine, while under load, is causing the vehicle to accelerate (and thus the engine RPM's are climbing). If you think about it, lagging vs. leading will engage/load opposite faces of the gear teeth in the drivetrain. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot where the engine just matches the drivetrain... and the gears sort of "float" mid-tooth with little sustained loading in either direction.

* "Lag" has other uses too. For example, "turbo lag" refers to the delay between increased power demand from an engine and the spinup of an exhaust-driven turbocharger to provide increased ("boosted") intake air pressure. This is very common on modern diesel engines, virtually all of which have turbos (and those turbos recover ~50% of otherwise lost energy out the tailpipe, one reason diesels are so much more efficient). For those engines where such lag is intolerable, superchargers are the answer; they are driven directly from the crankshaft and so immediately track the engine's behavior. The tradeoff is sustained efficiency... the supercharger consumes some power even when not required and fully bypassed, whereas a turbocharger can always recover some otherwise lost power and the ECU knows how to accommodate that thanks to the countless sensors measuring everything. Hence turbochargers are better for long term sustained applications (over the road trucking, marine, etc.) while superchargers prevail for high performance engines requiring rapid acceleration (racing cars, racing boats).

Opinion time: I deplore the drive-by-wire, integrated design of today's cars. As much as I'm fully immersed in modern technology, there are times when it's possible to overdo it. I do not want a steering wheel position sensor driving a linear positioner to steer the front wheels... it's far less reliable than a simple shaft driving a rack-and-pinion. The latter will fail gracefully and allow me to control the car to a safe stop, but a failure of almost any component in an electronic steering system means you no longer control your vehicle. There is no graceful degradation.

Granted, some things like fuel injection (and its associated ECU and sensors) are definitely worth it. But they don't threaten the ultimate safety of the car. If the engine stops, you can still coast to a safe stop most of the time. But pushbutton "shifters" or (heaven help us) KNOBS that in reality just control a bunch of transmission solenoids? Seriously, I rented a pickup truck from Hertz recently and its automatic transmission was controlled by a rotary KNOB. I sat there dumbfounded for a while, utterly speechless at the concept of replacing a very straightforward shaft or cable system with switches, wires, and solenoids. That is NOT progress, people. Not everything on the planet needs to help you play "astronaut". Some things should just work nice and simple.

Perhaps the best example of this over-technology is touchscreens in cars. Seriously? Instead of a nice tactile rotating temperature control that I can operate by feel while keeping my eyes on the road, you want me to be a distracted driver while I look over at the screen, work my way through several menu layers, finally find the temperature controls, and then carefully align my finger with the up or down arrow? This is no different than using a smartphone while driving, which is illegal in a growing number of jurisdictions. I'm waiting for the lawsuit where someone claims "distracted driving" from a touchscreen led to an accident that killed someone. They don't want ME on that jury, because my 100% objective opinion as an Engineer is that touchscreens make cars more dangerous, period, full stop.

Technology is wonderful. But it's not a universal solution for all situations. Sometimes an array of sensors, harnesses, motors, and solenoids just isn't better than a shaft or a cable. If you want to play "Space Shuttle Pilot" play a video game at home.

/rant

The following users thanked this post: hans, Circlotron, SilverSolder, james_s, Alti, duckduck

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2021, 07:59:27 pm »
[...] I'm waiting for the lawsuit where someone claims "distracted driving" from a [built-in car] touchscreen led to an accident that killed someone.  [...]

It will happen eventually - and if there are enough accidents where this is a factor, it could mean an expensive recall.  Notice how manufacturers seem to have gone away from this approach in the last couple of model years? - probably some engineer with a clue has raised the issue internally, but the world will never hear about it due to the implications.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 06:41:38 pm »
I remember at one point he picked my brother up somewhere and saw a notification that the car had an update available, so he let it go ahead and update thinking it would take a few minutes, turned out they had to sit there for around 30 minutes with the car inoperable while it updated :palm:

My Tesla never updates unless I give it permission to do so for every update, and when I do it explicitly says how long the update will take. A typical update takes 25 minutes, and I always do them after I park the car for the night.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2021, 12:45:31 am »
imagine a moving car where you've completely released the throttle but left the clutch engaged. The engine compression is now acting as a brake, slowing the car,
Wouldn't that braking effect instead be the pumping losses from the engine trying to draw in air against a closed throttle? Not the same as compression braking in a diesel where you may have an exhaust valve timed to release compression at the top of the stroke (and make a LOT of noise!) so that the energy used in compressing the air is not recovered on the expansion stroke. That may sound like I'm being pedantic and picking on your words, but no offence meant.  :) We engineers tell it like it is. I do understand though the idea of simplifying descriptive terms for a given audience.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2021, 01:19:16 am »
I do not want a steering wheel position sensor driving a linear positioner to steer the front wheels... it's far less reliable than a simple shaft driving a rack-and-pinion. The latter will fail gracefully and allow me to control the car to a safe stop, but a failure of almost any component in an electronic steering system means you no longer control your vehicle. There is no graceful degradation.
Are there any production cars that are completely drive by wire with no mechanical connection from the steering wheel? I'm under the impression that every power steering system ever used in a production car worked in parallel with the traditional rack and pinion system.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2021, 05:31:19 am »
Are there any production cars that are completely drive by wire with no mechanical connection from the steering wheel? I'm under the impression that every power steering system ever used in a production car worked in parallel with the traditional rack and pinion system.

I think it's currently required by law, I could be wrong but I have never seen a fully drive by wire car. It would not surprise me at all if somebody made one at some point though.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2021, 03:10:24 pm »
I don't know about cars.

I do know about steer-by-wire in tractors. John Deere 7R/8R have been using such systems for certainly more than 6 years now. They use a digital potentiometer with quad-level redundancy (4x PWM wires) and a single actuator to control the resistance.

Oh and you should hear the number of warnings/beeps if one of those PWM wires fail... At that point you're not allowed to engage the machine into drive anymore IIRC

They even market it as a comfort feature, as the steering sensitivity(+resistance) can change for road speeds and soil work/maneuvering speeds.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:14:24 am by hans »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2021, 03:43:07 pm »
imagine a moving car where you've completely released the throttle but left the clutch engaged. The engine compression is now acting as a brake, slowing the car,
Wouldn't that braking effect instead be the pumping losses from the engine trying to draw in air against a closed throttle? Not the same as compression braking in a diesel where you may have an exhaust valve timed to release compression at the top of the stroke (and make a LOT of noise!) so that the energy used in compressing the air is not recovered on the expansion stroke. That may sound like I'm being pedantic and picking on your words, but no offence meant.  :) We engineers tell it like it is. I do understand though the idea of simplifying descriptive terms for a given audience.

You're quite correct, the intake vacuum provides the braking effect. If it were merely compression (and subsequent decompression..) you'd only be gaining braking from mechanical losses in the engine, which are small. A N/A diesel has almost no engine braking due to this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf