Author Topic: TI price information  (Read 5767 times)

Offline tszabooTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
TI price information
« on: October 05, 2013, 03:34:23 am »
Did I do something wrong, or did TI remove all pricing information on their website in the "browse product" area? How am I supposed to search for components from now on? Click on every possible one and scroll down to see, that "look it costs more than the entire budget"? Use webench? Go to digikey? Seriously, this was the first webpage I was looking at any time I was searching for an active component, at least to have a rough idea of the pricing. Now it is gone. But hey, we got history bar on the top for people who doesn't know how the back button on a web browser works.
Seriously, what is wrong with you :wtf:, you are going in the wrong way! :--

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
Re: TI price information
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:35:49 am »
Yes it does seem like that. Either that, or the last couple of searches I did are for parts where they don't list that any more. I used to always put the budgetary cost @1k units column in there. Not that I'd get 1k units, but getting a rough idea of what it's going to cost is indeed handy.

At first I thought maybe I had to add/hide parameter to get it, but noooope. Now I have to use mouser/digikey to go look it up, which is indeed a step backwards compared to what it was.  :-\

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
TI price information
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:45:38 am »
I use www.octopart.com to check prices when the manufacturer doesn't list them (ok, everyone knows this site).

I agree though, scouring through datasheets is exhausting enough without being able to weigh in the price conveniently.
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:20:38 am »
Findchips.com

I don't know what you're looking for but some show prices:
http://www.ti.com/product/msp430f6779
scroll down to sample and buy and you'll see the price
http://www.ti.com/product/lme49740

you just have to go to the particular product to see the price. It is not posted on the tables anymore.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 11:27:44 am »
No, the prices are still there, and this ticks me off. it is just one click away, on the devices' page in the buy'n pricing information. Now please TI guys, try to find an LDO with some generic parameters! Oh, no there are 230 results after every parameter is filtered.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 11:35:53 am »
you just have to go to the particular product to see the price. It is not posted on the tables anymore.

And that is precisely the annoying part. Used to be you could include price in the parametric search, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some marketing genius theorized this feature makes things just too easy for customers.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:20:06 am »
I'm sure the parameters are still there but they decided to hide them. I feel your pain.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:04:53 am »
Maybe they had too many people building things down to a price without using the correct part?

Our circuit needs 150mA and this 78L05 rated at 100mA is slightly cheaper than the 7805 rated at 1A, nobody uses anything electronic for more than a year anyway. Lets go with it.

Then someone decides to leave this device on for a week continuously and notice it keeps powercycling every 10 minutes because the thermal protection is kicking in constantly in the regulator.

Then this product starts showing up in a lot of repair shops. These guys just have the standard 1A rated 7805 and swap it in and say "Damned crappy TI parts! I'll only use ST regulators from this point forward!"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:10:43 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:26:47 am »
Maybe they had too many people building things down to a price without using the correct part?

Our circuit needs 150mA and this 78L05 rated at 100mA is slightly cheaper than the 7805 rated at 1A, nobody uses anything electronic for more than a year anyway. Lets go with it.

Then someone decides to leave this device on for a week continuously and notice it keeps powercycling every 10 minutes because the thermal protection is kicking in constantly in the regulator.

Then this product starts showing up in a lot of repair shops. These guys just have the standard 1A rated 7805 and swap it in and say "Damned crappy TI parts! I'll only use ST regulators from this point forward!"
The person would have to be an utter moron to blame TI in that case. I think they will lose more business due to not allowing searching by price...

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 11:22:16 am »

I seriously doubt that. Much more likely that it is some sort of misguided attempt at increasing profit by hoping less convenient information will result in usage of more expensive parts. Fat chance of that happening of course, but they can always dream. :P Back in reality they just increased the likelihood of me using a Linear Tech part, at the expense of choosing a TI part. You know what with LT actually having pricing information in their parametric search.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:24:19 am by mrflibble »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 02:14:15 pm »
They are seriously heading the wrong way. I am in the TI Expert Advisory Panel from the beginning of if. They said, there will be feedback, nothing sort of. Also, they stopped asking questions, I'm guessing we stupid customers wanted different things than their C level people.
They also stopped direct support. I got a mail from one of their sales (!) poeple, that if I want help, I should write to their forum (yeah, should I just open source my NDA design), or go through the supplier of our choice. Not cool either. And now this. What is the next step? Datasheet available on request? Pay for sample? "We are focusing on our core business and making 12000 of our product obsolete"?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 08:31:33 am »
Yay! Price information is back again. :)  :scared:

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:50 am »
And you don't want to make Mr Flibble angry , Lister...
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:43:49 am »
If they remove price information again Mr Flibble will be very cross. ;)   "We can't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?"

And also, lesson learned. I took some notes of the http requests, just in case some genius decides to take it offline again.

What you can do is change the columns in paramsearch. It will then update the url to something containing columnOrderString parameter. If you then manually add p1130 to the list you'll have price information. Obviously currently I have no way of knowing if the trick actually works, but the been there done that department says odds are pretty good. Web developers are such lazy creatures. :P Doubly so if this thing has a java backend.  And with the JSESSIONID in there I would even accept bets on it.  ;D

Executive summary:

No price information:
http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/data-converters/high-speed-dac-greater-10msps-products.page#p596=200;2400&columnOrderString=o1,o4,p84,p596,p1021,p112,p158,p88,p873,p1988,p989typ,p1498,p1192,p494,a1063

Same, but with price information added (added ,p1130 at the end of url):
http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/data-converters/high-speed-dac-greater-10msps-products.page#p596=200;2400&columnOrderString=o1,o4,p84,p596,p1021,p112,p158,p88,p873,p1988,p989typ,p1498,p1192,p494,a1063,p1130

I would have tried this trick while they actually removed it, but I had neglected to do my homework by taking note of the column codes in use. Not going to fall for that one again. :P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 01:57:44 pm »
Hmm, interesting. I was sure that the information did not dissipate into thin air, and I'm glad it is back. It made me realize, how dependent I'm on a single manufacturer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf