Author Topic: TI Remembers Bob Pease?  (Read 8336 times)

Offline SuperFungusTopic starter

• Contributor
TI Remembers Bob Pease?
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:48:31 pm »
So I happened to notice that the Bob Pease video which National put together soon after his death is now on the TI website.  I think this is fine, but the mouse over text says: (sorry I don't know how to directly link to this, go to the op-amps page and its in the vid que)

"TI celebrates accomplishments of the company's legendary design engineer Bob Pease, who died on June 19. During his 33 year career at TI, Bob received 21 patents and designed more than 20 integrated circuits...."

I think this is so WRONG.  Bob spent 33 years at *NATIONAL* not TI. I'm having trouble articulating why I think this is so wrong but I don't think TI has the right to just slap their name on 33 years of Bob's legacy because they bought the company he worked for.

Anyways, I thought if there are other Pease fans here they would be interested.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: TI Remembers Bob Pease?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:53:44 pm »
Bob is growling in his grave now ...
I met Bob multiple times, he used to come out to the De-Anza Swapmeet. I bought several of his books, straight out of the trunk of his rusty 'bug'. He even autographed them.
It's just not right that TI makes these claims. Bob was a National Employee. The fact that TI bought National has nothing to do with it. Besides, Bob died before the name was changed .
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:58:50 pm »
Something tells me Bob wouldn't really care.  Its not like TI is this big evil entity hell bent on making money with his name.  No big deal.
-Time

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:05 pm »
I agree it's not a huge injustice, but just because its not not a big deal doesn't mean it's not confusing or wrong. Its like saying "During his career at NASA, von Braun designed the V2 rocket." Just because NASA took over the German rocketry talent after WWII, doesn't make that true.

I'm not offended or trying to put myself in a position of "defender of his legacy" or anything like that.  I never knew or even met Pease and have no idea what he would or wouldn't mind. I just appreciated his work and found it unsettling that TI could claim he worked for them, when he really never did.

Offline Noize

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:59 pm »
I reckon some office bods were just told to go through all datasheets etc and change the name national to Ti ............thats alll

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:21 pm »
some datasheets just got 1st page added with ti logo, but 2nd page still showing original national logo. yeah, twisting history is a big treason imho.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:28 am »
If they want to revise all the datasheets to be all TI I'm fine with that too.  That's part of what they bought.  Pease's history at National is a different story.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:57 am »
I guess this was changed. Check:
http://www.ti.com/ww/en/bobpease/index.html
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 03:55:43 am »
Oh I didn't see that page.  Am I the only one who finds TI's site counter intuitive? The "mouse over" text from the video que still says TI like I quoted.  Hover your mouse over the video in the list and it pops up.

Either way, the text on that page is enough to convince me that the mouse over stuff was just some data entry peon making a dumb error and not a conscious corporate decision by TI. Thanks for pointing that page out.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:03 pm »
Thanks for link SuperFungus!!   :)

A great guy!

from a entry earlier i wrote about him..

Troubleshooting Analog Circuits by Robert A. Pease, a trill, a chest of knowledge, fun and experience from a fellow Aspie. A must for everybody who has to work with any electronic trubleshooting or construction.
A torrent download.. PDF format  but paperback can be found to..
http://www.amazon.com/Troubleshooting-Analog-Circuits-Design-Engineers/dp/0750694998/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325465307&sr=1-1-catcorr

A little PS on Robert Pease:
    He designed several very successful "best-seller" integrated circuits, these include the LM331 voltage to frequency converter, and the LM337 adjustable voltage regulator.

He wrote the book: How to Drive Into Accidents ... and How Not To (1998) Pease Pub ISBN 978-0965564816 — An idiosyncratic, entertaining, and insightful book on safe driving techniques, written for novices and experienced drivers alike..
    The bitter irony was that Pease was killed in the crash of his 1969 Volkswagen Beetle, on June 18, 201
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:52:16 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline ee851

• Regular Contributor
  • carbon-based caveman
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 03:56:06 pm »
Yes, that is wrong.

SuperFungus expressed my thoughts on this matter exactly.

Nonetheless, you just can't trust what you read on the web.   "Trust, but verify."      words to remember.

Is Bob Pease's book available in hardcover?   I would like to get it in hardcover.  I feel bad that I can no longer get an autographed copy.    I can still learn from Pease, though, and will continue to do so.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »
Yes, that is wrong.

SuperFungus expressed my thoughts on this matter exactly.

Nonetheless, you just can't trust what you read on the web.   "Trust, but verify."      words to remember.

Is Bob Pease's book available in hardcover?   I would like to get it in hardcover.  I feel bad that I can no longer get an autographed copy.    I can still learn from Pease, though, and will continue to do so.

Amazon, follow link in my last posting..  its MUST have book... its so much knowledge and good humor..

27 new from $32.70 24 used from $12.87

:)
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:55:28 pm »
i downloaded his cmrr app note. now i get how humorous he was. i cant imagine how such an appnote got approved.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline DaveL_at_TI

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 09:52:50 pm »
I was working at National with Bob on an update to application note AN-31 when he passed away and helped work on the Remembering Bob page those first difficult days. A lot of engineers continue to seek his wisdom and humor, which is great, so my new TI colleagues wanted to make sure Bob's content (and other National innovators) is migrated to TI.com and remains available to all.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:58:12 pm »
Yes! I think its wonderful that Bob's wisdom is being preserved at TI. I really hope I didn't give the impression that I thought TI shouldn't maintain Bob's AN's, articles etc.

My only concern was the text that referred to 'Bob's 33 year career at TI'. That just isn't accurate, and just came across to me in kind of a negative way. Sort of made me wonder, "are they trying to make us forget National ever existed?" Even something worded like 'Bob's 33 year career at National (now TI)' really wouldn't have bothered me.

I think the remembrance page you guys did is awesome and I really envy that you got to work with Bob Pease. I genuinely love reading his AN's, his book and his "whats all this X anyways" column.

Offline DaveL_at_TI

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:17 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. It was really an honor to have been able to work with Bob. The text should hopefully read OK now: "During his 33-year career at National Semiconductor..." An amazing career.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf