Author Topic: Tips for new el. YouTubers?  (Read 9533 times)

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Tips for new el. YouTubers?
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:28:25 pm »
With so much inspiration, I wouldn't be surprised that new people will make new electronics channels (happens all the time, most likely).

And, a lot of people on the forum also have some experience making such videos themselves.

What would you recommend to anyone that might want to start a new electronics channel?

Recommendations might include simple tips or even advice on video format, audio format, and/or content format.
Any traps or issues you've experienced yourself that could be avoided, and anything that you just don't want to see in videos as a viewer.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Tips for new el. YouTubers?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:52:47 pm »
That depends on your capabilities and experience.

I think we have enough "educational" channels. I feel distinct lack of channels that show a process of working on a big long-term project. That may not be the best content for money views though.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: kalel

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:00 pm »
The best tip anybody can give you is to never give up. Seriously, determination to get a youtube channel going is the most important part.

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:55:16 pm »
You may use my channel as an example of what not to do.  :)

I've had it up for two years and have only 40 subscribers.   Although a good part of that is because I haven't posted much.  But I do have a few videos with thousands of views so I wonder why none of those viewers subscribe.

I am a bit annoyed by the fact that I intended to create an electronics channel but my most popular videos are the two where I repair the broken hinges on my old Toshiba laptop, and an unboxing video for the Dell laptop that replaced it when my hinge repair on the Toshiba didn't last.

I thought about the possibility of making a series of educational videos where I go through all the projects of the old Radio Shack 150-in-1 kit and build each circuit - maybe on breadboard with modern parts, not in the kit - and explain how each circuit works.   Don't know if there's much value in that though because most of the old timers that used the 150-in-1 kits and would watch for nostalgic reasons don't need educational videos on how those circuits work as they built them all 30 years ago...

My latest video was just a fun video to enter the Flashing Light Prize 2017 contest but the judges already told me I couldn't win before the contest is even over.   :'(

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:58:10 pm »
What would you recommend to anyone that might want to start a new electronics channel?

1. Stick to what interests you, there is a niche for everything. It's harder to make a general interest channel.
2. Audio is more important than video
3. Ensure good video framing at all times
4. Stick to a consistent schedule (two per week recommended), and remember that it takes years to build up a successful channel, unless you crush stuff with a hydraulic press  ;D
5. Don't fuss over details or try to "polish" your video. If it takes too long to make videos then it will become a chore and you'll give up easily.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, alm, Electro Detective

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 11:59:11 pm »
My latest video was just a fun video to enter the Flashing Light Prize 2017 contest but the judges already told me I couldn't win before the contest is even over.   :'(
After watching the video, I would agree. That's cheating.
Alex

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:15:20 am »

Yeah, I knew I wouldn't win with a self-flashing bulb but I made the video anyway just for the fun of it.  I wanted to say "They already make bulbs that flash themselves automatically."   :)  What I didn't expect was for @FlashingSystems on Twitter to shoot it down before the contest was even over.     :)

My one good idea was to manufacture my own bulb from scratch and then flash it, but I saw Alan Yates / vk2zay tweeting pics of making a bulb and doing better job of it than I would have I didn't bother.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 07:08:31 am »

Yeah, I knew I wouldn't win with a self-flashing bulb but I made the video anyway just for the fun of it.  I wanted to say "They already make bulbs that flash themselves automatically."   :)  What I didn't expect was for @FlashingSystems on Twitter to shoot it down before the contest was even over.     :)

My one good idea was to manufacture my own bulb from scratch and then flash it, but I saw Alan Yates / vk2zay tweeting pics of making a bulb and doing better job of it than I would have I didn't bother.

That's funny, because yesterday I was doing a video for the "Flashing Light Prize 2017" too, and I almost gave up. In theory, the project should have worked, but it was all erratic, like there was a loose contact somewhere. Checked the wiring, the connections, even the reed switches. All good. Checked again. Nothing! And the contest's deadline was only a few hours away. And I was still filming. And I was never made a video editing before. Nightmare!

Finally, I tested the bulb by powering it with a battery, and not by measuring it with the DMM, and to my surprise the little prick started to flash by itself, like it was making fun of me, or something!
 :palm: :-DD
When I put the light bulb under the microscope, one side of the filament was connected to a bimetallic switch. Total surprise. I never knew such thing even exists! So I filmed it more as a curiosity, and to have something small as a first video edit. Then I put the 30 seconds video in the contest. Never thought of cheating when doing that, nor pretend that I should win. It was just for fun. All the crazy ideas for that contest are just like that, for fun! And indeed it was way more fun than I expected, and not only because of that red-head bulb.

Now that I think about it, how would one pick the winner for the "Flashing Light Prize 2017"? No idea. I guess the best strategy, and the most fair, to have a winner for such a crazy contest will probably be to just draw straws. Maybe they were joking when they told that you are disqualified, or they want you to go for yet another idea, so it will be even more crazy entries to the contest.

OK, enough rambling.

To get back on-topic, the most daunting task for a video channel will be, in my opinion, filming and editing. It's an incredible slow process. It feels like a total waste of time. Maybe it was just me, because last night was the first time when I really edited a video, or maybe I picked the wrong software (Blender and Gimp, never used them, or something similar before). But still, I don't think the software or the lack of skill were the main problems. It really is tedious to make a high quality video. I heard from film professionals that for 5 minutes of video, it could take many hours, maybe days to finish those 5 minutes, even if you have the best tools.

- My first recommendation will be to make a few videos first, and see how long does it takes to produce 5 minutes of video weekly.
- Also, don't start by buying expensive audio/video equipment. Any camera will be enough the first videos, even a phone will do it. The quality of a video is in its content, not in its pixels.

Let me give you an example: https://www.youtube.com/user/dgelbart/videos
The resolution is 480p, but the content is gold.

Of course, depending on the channel style, that could be easier or harder to do. Also, it is not clear if you want to do it for the money, or as a hobby. Video containers and codecs are just details.

So, go for it, give it a shot! You have nothing to lose if you try. Even if the channel will not get moment, you will still be a winner, because there are a lot of new things and new skills to learn while trying to build an electronics channel.

And here is a closeup with the little troubling beast:

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:08 pm »
Thanks everyone so far! While I'm not planning, at least for now, to make such a channel myself. If I had the experience of some here, perhaps (not that beginners can't have their own channels, perhaps discussing their learning process and their ways of grasping things as they go). I did however think that the answers you provide could be useful to anyone that does take this on, and the more supportive/informative tips we can accumulate, the more new interesting channels we may end up seeing.

Video editing:
As was mentioned, I myself would recommend not going with expensive software if the channel is for fun (if profit is immediately the plan, perhaps expensive software may be a decent long term investment, but there's probably little reason to begin and 'feel the waters' using such things).
YouTube has an editor for example which might be enough to do most of the basic operations necessary. This thread is about YouTube, but if someone e.g. wanted to use Vimeo or another similar website, they might not have one included (I haven't used them to create content, so I'm not sure).

In either case, I would start first with free editors for simple editing.
E.g. Virtual Dub, Avi Demux (both for cutting/joining segments, simple filtering), and Fusion. Handbrake for conversions if necessary. Fusion not open source, but is a really powerful piece of software (professional level), and the free version comes with some limitations, most of which wouldn't matter for simple video editing (adjusting colors, adding text, animating things, so forth - it supports loading 3D models too). More and more free and/or open source video editing tools keep popping up. It's important to find one that seems simple to use for you, or at least simple enough that you feel you will be able to learn it as you go along.

If on Linux, it has a lot of awesome video editors of its own.

As for fancy editing, I haven't noticed that many electronics channels use too much fancy editing (probably mostly standard cutting/joining segments, adjusting colors and contrast if needed and maybe removing audio noise - which Audacity can do decently - and such). Even Dave himself mentioned something related:

5. Don't fuss over details or try to "polish" your video. If it takes too long to make videos then it will become a chore and you'll give up easily.

It could apply to video editing. If you spend 99% of the time on video editing, it probably won't be fun to do. Unless you are interested in video editing specifically. For example, 3D animations can be used to make instructional videos. These have a lot of designing, rendering, editing, and perhaps no camera filming involved at all.

Camera/recording:
As for Hardware used, from what I understand BigClive used a tablet and a smartphone or two (and maybe something else?). There are no quality issues with his videos what-so-ever. So, unless you want to record at 1000 FPS (I think there's a phone for that too - but might be pricey?) or want some special macro/zoom features, you probably don't need to buy any recording equipment. You may or may not want to buy an external microphone if it works with your phone (first try, maybe it sounds great already). If you need one - I would search for a cheap solution if you're willing to wait until it arrives - they can give impressive results for the price. If you're recording voice overs on PC, if using an integrated soundcard, you may experience some unwanted noise. In that case, I would consider getting a cheap (or as desired) USB Microphone, even the cheapest should still be able to remove some of that noise (unless you have very low noise on your recordings already, some high end motherboards might have decent sound-cards).

PC hardware:
Most likely, you won't need a "beast of a PC" to do video editing and what you have might be completely fine. If it's taking extremely long (or you're processing high resolution, high FPS content), then perhaps there's some way to make the workload lighter using different filters/settings or use faster software.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:21:16 pm by kalel »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 01:58:13 pm »
To get back on-topic, the most daunting task for a video channel will be, in my opinion, filming and editing. It's an incredible slow process. It feels like a total waste of time. Maybe it was just me, because last night was the first time when I really edited a video, or maybe I picked the wrong software (Blender and Gimp, never used them, or something similar before). But still, I don't think the software or the lack of skill were the main problems. It really is tedious to make a high quality video. I heard from film professionals that for 5 minutes of video, it could take many hours, maybe days to finish those 5 minutes, even if you have the best tools.

IME, "Film professionals" are the last people a budding Youtuber should be taking advice from, Youtube videos in our engineering genre should not be massive professional productions. There are exceptions to this like say The Engineer Guy, but he's AFAIK, literally the only one who uses "proper" production techniques. Click Spring if you count mechanical eng.

But yes, a polished 5 minute video can take a week to produce. Take Afrotechmods as an example, classic nicely produced 5 minute videos. They take him 30+ hours work for each 5 minute video.

Personally, if a video takes me more than a day from concept to finished product then I'm not really interested in doing it. There are exceptions, but that's the basic rule.

I would not shoot for a highly polished video off the bat, unless you have a specific idea for the style of your channel. Most people don't have that intention, so just shoot video of whatever you are interested in and upload it and get feedback.

- Also, don't start by buying expensive audio/video equipment. Any camera will be enough the first videos, even a phone will do it. The quality of a video is in its content, not in its pixels.

A phone will only work if you have light, and lots of it. Light is key. "Low Light" is basically anything indoors.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »
As for fancy editing, I haven't noticed that many electronics channels use too much fancy editing (probably mostly standard cutting/joining segments, adjusting colors and contrast if needed and maybe removing audio noise - which Audacity can do decently - and such).

If you have to edit color, contrast, or audio then you are doing it wrong.
Try to get everything right in-camera, that includes the audio.
I do the odd level adjustment of clips in audio (just match them visually by the waveform, don't normalise or compress), but that's it.

It could apply to video editing. If you spend 99% of the time on video editing, it probably won't be fun to do. Unless you are interested in video editing specifically. For example, 3D animations can be used to make instructional videos. These have a lot of designing, rendering, editing, and perhaps no camera filming involved at all.

My biggest tip is the shoot your clips in sequence.
Almost every video I do it shot in sequence. If I have to change the macro lens and move the tripod 20 times, I do it.
This saves countless time editing.
I just drop my clips  into the timeline, trim the start and the end, and that's basically it. All because I get it right in-camera and shoot in sequence. It will save your sanity.

As for audio, all my behind camera stuff uses the built in mic in the Canon HF G30. If you are within say 40cm of the internal mic in acoustically ok room (e.g. not a bathroom) then internal mics in all but the crappiest camera work fine.
Whiteboard stuff I will use a professional expensive wireless mic.

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge, kalel

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 02:30:56 am »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if you ask any Youtuber that they'll say the hardest video to make was the first one.

The hardest part (newbie or seasoned) is being happy to release an imperfect video and move onto the next one.
You can always improve your video in countless ways, so you have to resign yourself to the fact that no video will be perfect, or turn out as you had intended.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, kalel

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 04:04:11 am »

You CAN make videos with the camera in your phone.   All mine are recorded with my Droid Turbo XT1254 phone.  It won't be up to the quality of a real camera because you can't really control things like exposure and white balance as well, but it will work.  One thing I did to make it easier is I threw about $5 at some Ali Express seller and got a "smartphone telescope" that has a spring loaded bracket that you snap the phone into and can mount it on a tripod.  I just use it as a tripod mount and don't screw in the crappy "telescope" lens.

If you can do your videos Big Clive style - one take without pausing, go for it.  Editing video is the least fun part of the process.  Although it gets less frustrating after you learn some software so you aren't stumbling around figuring out how to do the editing the way you want.

If you can't do it in one take, I've learned a few tricks to make editing easier.  Don't talk continuously - it leaves you with no points where you can cut and paste clips and have it sound right.  So as I'm filming I often just don't say anything for a few seconds while I think about what to say next, then do that part, then wait a few seconds before I start the next segment.   This goes totally against the Big Clive style single take, but I can't do that anyway and get it right.   If I get a part wrong, I just pause a bit and do it over without even stopping the camera. 

When you go to video editing use an editor that shows the sound waveform.  You can easily see each little segment because of the silence between each segment.  If things went OK you can just cut out part of the silent parts to make things flow better and if you re-do part it's easy to see where to put the cut points to chop out when you did it wrong the first time.

Don't jump into trying to use complicated video editing software with features you don't need when you are just starting out.   I did research on free video editing software and ended up on Blender.  I then spent hours watching tutorial videos on YouTube just to learn enough to do basic editing.   The user interface is far from intuitive and it seems like you have to memorize a bunch of stuff that isn't logical to remember how to function in Blender.

So I took a step back when I realized all I really needed to be able to do was just cut and paste clips together and put some title text at the beginning and some "credit" text at the end asking viewers to like and subscribe.

So people might laugh at this, but I went to using Windows Movie Maker.  It's a very limited editor -  all you can really do with it is cut and paste clips together, do some transition effects, and overlay text.  But that's all I was doing.  And it's much more user friendly than complicated editing software.   I can chop and delete segments so fast with WMM compared to other software.

Problem is that it has only one track, you can't overlay other video clips or audio clips.  So I've had to go back to looking at "real" editing software when I want to do things like that.   I didn't want to go back to Blender, so I did a bit more research and found a program called "DaVinci Resolve."   It's a professional video editing system, but they have a free version with some limited features (I think you can't render 4K).   But I haven't used it much yet so I can't give an opinion on using it for simple YouTube videos.

Dave's advice to get the audio right from the start is good.  My phone doesn't really do great audio unless you are only a few inches from it, so on most of my videos I put a lot of time into fixing the audio after the recording.  I'd edit the video and then render it, then strip off the audio with ffmpeg, load it in Audacity and do a de-noise and amplify, save it back to a new audio file, then use ffmpeg to replace the audio in the original file.   Lots of trouble just to get it to sound acceptable.  Fortunately the audio and video stayed in sync when I did this.  A quick way to annoy your viewers is to end up with audio out of sync with the video.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 12:06:31 pm »
When you go to video editing use an editor that shows the sound waveform.  You can easily see each little segment because of the silence between each segment.  If things went OK you can just cut out part of the silent parts to make things flow better and if you re-do part it's easy to see where to put the cut points to chop out when you did it wrong the first time.

Yes, that's how I do it too. I edit everything on the timeline based on the audio waveform.
Except that I usually press stop and start after each clip. Gives me time to think, move the camera and re-frame, check a datasheet on the internet etc. Also leads to less overall file size (I keep all my raw footage), andi s handy to see the thumbnails in the editor file window to know what you've got.
An average video of mine would be 50-60 clips, 100+ for a big video. But because they are all in sequence, it's trivial to edit.

Don't jump into trying to use complicated video editing software with features you don't need when you are just starting out.   I did research on free video editing software and ended up on Blender.  I then spent hours watching tutorial videos on YouTube just to learn enough to do basic editing.   The user interface is far from intuitive and it seems like you have to memorize a bunch of stuff that isn't logical to remember how to function in Blender.

If you have to spend hours figuring it out then it's the wrong software.
I'd recommend trying NCH VideoPad, but I use Vegas for reasons I won't try to explain.

Dave's advice to get the audio right from the start is good.  My phone doesn't really do great audio unless you are only a few inches from it, so on most of my videos I put a lot of time into fixing the audio after the recording.  I'd edit the video and then render it, then strip off the audio with ffmpeg, load it in Audacity and do a de-noise and amplify, save it back to a new audio file, then use ffmpeg to replace the audio in the original file.   Lots of trouble just to get it to sound acceptable.

Yep, this is to be avoided at all costs.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
  • Trust me I'm an engineer
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 12:14:22 pm »
If you have to spend hours figuring it out then it's the wrong software.
I'd recommend trying NCH VideoPad, but I use Vegas for reasons I won't try to explain.
I can also recommend it.
Its not the fastes rendering I think ... but its easy and cheap ;-)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 12:14:58 pm »
Absolutely. Your editing is then mostly just chopping gaps out, and inserting the odd still/caption. Having to keep track of un-sequenced clips adds an order of magnitude of hassle.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 12:28:22 pm »
What I miss on EE YT channels but perhaps they are there already:

Brand new parts released from the silicon vendors:
 - show the (new) application/performance with a quick demonstration board (DIY or vendors built)
 - what is making them better than there was before
 - comparison to common used jelly bean parts

There are many domains (analog , digital, microcontroller, dc-dc  etc. etc.)  this can be done for.
Preferably done by an expert on that domain that has the years of knowledge so (s)he can explain why this new part is better or an improvement and can compare to existing parts
The silicon vendors might even sponsor this expert for showing off their new products.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 01:03:21 pm »
Absolutely. Your editing is then mostly just chopping gaps out, and inserting the odd still/caption. Having to keep track of un-sequenced clips adds an order of magnitude of hassle.

I know bloggers who insist on shooting out of sequence and also with external audio recorders they need to sync up later because that's how the film industry "professionals" do it. Double mistake whammy!

BTW, the new Youtube algorithm flavors frequent and longer content. Perfect for engineering type videos with less production value.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 01:06:15 pm »
The silicon vendors might even sponsor this expert for showing off their new products.

IME they are not willing to pay real engineering rates for the time it takes to produce such a video

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 02:36:51 pm »
I know bloggers who insist on shooting out of sequence and also with external audio recorders they need to sync up later because that's how the film industry "professionals" do it. Double mistake whammy!

I started experimenting with a few different non-integrated audio options two or three months ago, including a lav mic, shotgun mic and condenser mic (all Rode). I also tried a couple of external recorders (Zoom H1 & Tascam DR-60D Mk2).

For my style of videos, which are mostly these days in the BigClive overhead style, and shot in a well-damped lab, the lav mic produced the best consistent result, but to be honest there wasn't a huge difference compared to the internal mic of the camera.  The shutgun mic was actually worse than the in camera mic for these overhead shots.

There's no doubt that the condenser mic sounded the best when used as a scripted voice over or as a talking head, but that's not my normal style of video. The condenser mic also has to use an external recorder to provide phantom power, and this in itself is a bit of additional hassle to set up.

When using the external audio recorders, it isn't a huge hassle to sync for a single take video, and the video editing software takes care of the dubbing for you at the press of a button or two. Much more of a problem was forgetting to press record on the external audio recorder!

I've now gone back to just using the in camera mic 90%+ of the time, which, for the typical style of video I do a la BigClive, works reasonably well. If I were usually in an echoey room I'd probably use the lav.

So in short, for BigClive style overhead shots in a reasonably damped environment, I found there's little to be gained from external mics. If your videos are a different style, or you're in a different environment (echoey or outside) then I could certainly see a benefit from using them. The recorders are OK, but I found it too hard to remember to always press record on both the camera and the recorder, i.e., it wasn't worth the hassle most of the time.

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 05:17:32 pm »

2. Audio is more important than video

As a former hobby sound recordist, cannot re-iterate this point enough.  Sound usually is an afterthought even in large productions, especially when lighting a scene can take a lot of hours, and sound basically hook their stuff up 15 minutes before filming. But if you get it wrong, it basically ruins the illusion you are creating with vids. 

Check your levels, and never go in the red.  Listen to your microphone especially when recording in new places. If you have a mixer and shotgun mic, you can use 2 channels with one set with low gain and the other with high gain to pick up large volume differences with minimal distortion to at least one of the channels.  Not sure how important it is for youtube vids, but you want to avoid a lot of sounds that will be picked up from a mic and if you are editing can cause severe problems if it doesn't happen during the whole segment which can cause you to re-shoot or at minimum do an ADR or try and mix out the sound in post. Things like air conditioners, airplanes, old mechanically switching fluorescent tubes, etc. can all be very jarring.  If you can't eliminate noise, then a smart thing to do is to record at least 30 seconds of silence at the end of filming at a location with all the crew and gear still present. This will allow you to easily edit in the noise in any place of your cut. So that your cuts are more natural.  One of the worst things you can do as well is if you have a mono audio source is to not put the audio over both left and right channels. 

For all of my shoots, we did not use a separate recorder, we used an external mixer, but fed the audio back through the camera.   Some of these tips may not be useful for small vids, but are just some of the things I recall from the productions I worked on.
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 05:53:03 pm »
Is it important to have face time or bench video?  I've seen quite a lot with just audio and a PC screen showing / explaining designs, concepts etc.
Do people prefer to see someone or are they less distracted by just listening?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 06:23:36 pm »
Is it important to have face time or bench video?  I've seen quite a lot with just audio and a PC screen showing / explaining designs, concepts etc.
Do people prefer to see someone or are they less distracted by just listening?

From my limited experience, it's extra effort that makes it less likely I'll make a vid at all. I don't particularly enjoy the editing part, I am sure mostly because I haven't invested time in learning the software I use, and the thought of having to write a script fills me with dread, but for some reason I have recently become drawn to perhaps purchasing a teleprompter, so maybe that will change.

AvE with 550k subs is perhaps an extreme example, I don't think we've ever seen anything but his forearms in the 330+ videos he's made. In the end it becomes part of the charm of the channel, and I use the word "charm" with some reservation ;-)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 06:25:30 pm »
As a former hobby sound recordist, cannot re-iterate this point enough.  Sound usually is an afterthought even in large productions, especially when lighting a scene can take a lot of hours, and sound basically hook their stuff up 15 minutes before filming. But if you get it wrong, it basically ruins the illusion you are creating with vids. 

:-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+   :-+ 

I started in audio production back decades ago in high-school. And I only got into video production because of the poor quality of audio-for-video that I was seeing/hearing. 

GOOD SOUND IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GOOD VIDEO.  With rare exceptions.  We have had sound-only media (radio, gramophone, etc.) for a century.  The only times I see video with no sound are places like airports, restaurants, etc. But they typically have the closed-caption turned on because most video without audio (or CC) is just visual noise.  I have frequently aborted watching a YT video because the sound was too bad.  I don't remember ever aborting a YT video because the video was too awful.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 07:32:34 pm »
Several excellent tips all around. Some I reiterate and some are new.
- A nice camcorder is always preferrable, especially if it contains a MIC jack input, a macro mode and a remote control. Every time I tried to make a video with a cellphone I was never pleased with the result, but as others reported it can be done. My two biggest problems were control over light conditions (white balance, lack of sensitivity) and proper positioning (I didn't have a suitable tripod). Minor issues were related to start/stop (the remote control helps with that) and I couldn't get close-up shots of boards (some more modern cellphones have macro mode).
- If you have such camcorder (or a cellphone that has audio input), then get a great microphone. Some of them can be had for reasonable prices on the internet. Initially I used the camera microphone and found out it wasn't very sensitive and introduced noise out of nowhere. Then I got a shotgun microphone that improved the audio volume but still introduced noise. When I moved to a lapel (lavalier) microphone is when I got the most consistent results - especially if you move your head a lot or noise activity accidentally happens around your subject (a dropped screwdriver, for example).
- Ideally is to have a tall tripod, which helps with introductory talking head shots (if you are into this) as well as get a somewhat panoramic view of the board/equipment with the ability to do close-ups by using the optical zoom. I also got from my dad a very nice crazy tripod that helped with shots done vertically.
- I also try to stay away from edits, although I tend to review the video thoroughly and include captions of the IC part numbers, calculations, correct mistakes and other things I find relevant to highlight. Shooting the video in sequence is absolutely critical for your own sanity as well.
- As for the editing software, stay away from Blender - it does the job for 3D renderings (I did my intro caption on it) but it is really complicated without lots of training. I was a long time user of Pinnacle Studio, but it is a buggy software and you need a lot of patience with its quirks - fortunately the autosave feature is very reliable for the occasional crash. I use Camtasia Studio at work, which is a very polished solution but not 100% suitable for non-linear editing. I have never used Vegas or Adobe Premiere ($$$).
- At last, content. Find what interests you and perhaps find a niche where people may be attracted to your videos. In my case it was my curiosity to disassemble things, occasionally repair them and the language - not many countries speak Portuguese and technical content is not widely available. Another detail is simply to keep doing it - an ancient video of a certain Australian dude wisely told to just keep doing it until someday someone takes interest and spreads the word. I've had my channel for about two years and posted about 40 videos on it, but it was only noticed by a larger audience in June this year.
- Oh, and one more thing. Thick skin. Initially your videos will not be anywhere near you want them to be in terms of quality, but don't be afraid to release them and take the eventual criticism with coolness. People will like it and some will dislike it with some vocal comments. Brush it off and move along.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf