Author Topic: Transparent OLED Display  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Transparent OLED Display
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:45:42 am »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Transparent OLED Display
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:47:38 am »
That's neat, but what's it really good for? I want to see widely available conventional OLED monitors and TVs in a wide range of sizes. OLED sometimes feels like fusion, it has been just a few years out for a lot of years now.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:49:20 am »
That's neat, but what's it really good for? I want to see widely available conventional OLED monitors and TVs in a wide range of sizes. OLED sometimes feels like fusion, it has been just a few years out for a lot of years now.

I dunno, my cellphones have all been OLED since 2013. My laptop from 2017 is OLED as well.
VE7FM

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:14 am »
Looks trendy in public spaces.

But there could be a myriad of applications provided that the brightness is high enough (which is usually not the strong point of OLED displays). Like full displays integrated in windshields, augmented reality screens in general. Could be pretty useful, but again probably only if the brightness can me made high enough and also provided they can withstand relatively high temperatures (for windshields/windows applications). Otherwise, they will remain cute marketing toys.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 02:31:04 am »
What laptop is OLED? I haven't shopped for laptops lately but when I bought mine in 2015 there weren't any OLED models around that I'm aware of. I've seen OLED phones but they're all way too big for my taste. My friend has an OLED TV but it cost almost $3k and there were only a couple of different models available when he bought it last year.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 03:01:21 am »
Lenovo Yoga X1 gen II (14.1 inch 1440p and beyond glorious to look at)
HP Spectre x360 13
Alienware 13 R3

The first two were discontinued but both Lenovo and HP have announced more OLED laptops coming this year.
VE7FM

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 06:38:40 am »
Good to see some of those starting to appear, wish they'd make more. I plan to keep my Lenovo x250 for a while but if I could get a similar form factor with and OLED screen and a trackpad with physical buttons below it I'd be real tempted to upgrade.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf