Author Topic: Triplight UPS Issue  (Read 948 times)

Offline larryblTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Triplight UPS Issue
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:17:16 am »
I was given a 1440W Triplight UPS. Battery was dead so I ordered a new one and installed. Everything was working fine, then we had some T-Storms coming in so I put my computer on it and was good for about 6 hours then it just shut off (Main power never went off). I put the computer back on the power strip, and moved the UPS to the bench. I ran it with no-load and it shut off after about 16 hours. I then plugged a shop light in and the UPS shut off again after about 16 hours. I performed the self tests described in the manual and it performed as described.
I am not against tearing into this as I only have $19.99 tied up with the new battery. Inverter works, Switching from mains to battery and back again works. I am guessing an issue with the power on circuit. Could not find a diagram, so this could prove to be difficult with my skill level.
Suggestions?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Triplight UPS Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 02:34:45 am »
You mean it's shutting off while it's still plugged into the wall? Usually the only thing wrong with old UPS's is the batteries go dead, but even with a dead battery they should keep supplying the load while plugged in. I would check the electrolytic capacitors, especially if it has any of the surface mount type, those are notorious for failing. You might have a bad capacitor in the power supply that powers the logic.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:02:25 pm »
Yes, it just shuts off while plugged in. I powered it back up yesterday, and this morning it is still working. Seems the up-time is getting longer after each un-intended shut down.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 12:25:30 pm »
Cold solder joints would be worth looking at too.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 04:40:32 pm »
Yes, it just shuts off while plugged in. I powered it back up yesterday, and this morning it is still working. Seems the up-time is getting longer after each un-intended shut down.
Ohhh, that sounds like a symptom of deteriorated electrolytic caps!

Jon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 10:02:15 pm »
Yea, It's still on after the power on yesterday, almost 24 hours this time. If it goes off again I may open it up and see if any are bulging or leaking.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:51:38 pm »
That certainly suggests that they are in bad shape. IMHO it is prudent to replace them now if in doubt, a UPS is absolutely useless if it results in cutting power to the protected equipment during a time that the incoming power is not interrupted, rather than maintaining power to the equipment during an outage. They may temporarily recover to some degree but that is not a fix, they will fail sooner or later.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 11:40:19 pm »
I can't confirm, but I think this is a 2011 model. Still working, The top of the case is warm, not hot.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 10:09:10 pm »
It died again after estimated 30 hours. I could use one of the old school 110V electric clocks that stops when the power goes off to get an accurate run time.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 11:31:29 pm »
Or you could just fix it, because it's obviously broken and will never be trustworthy until you determine the cause of the problem and correct it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 02:50:03 am »
I'll open it up tomorrow, but 99% sure I won't find the problem.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 05:15:00 am »
Just replace the small electrolytic capcitors, there's probably a switchmode power supply IC and there will be some capacitors associated with that. You can also look around for cracked solder joints, particularly on the relays.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 03:29:57 pm »
Not seeing anything out of sorts. I can buy a new 400va ups for less than $50.00 US, which most likely would be less than trying to locate the issue and fix this.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 06:08:45 pm »
I see several capacitors that I would suspect, but a visual inspection is completely useless in most cases, they have to get *really* bad before showing any visible signs of problems. You need a ESR meter or a can of freeze spray/air duster can be useful. If you don't feel like trying to troubleshoot it though just replace it, they are cheap and easy to find.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf