Author Topic: How to remove Sestic Contact Adhesive Cable Glue  (Read 3068 times)

Offline kolbepTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • ShoutingElectronics.com
How to remove Sestic Contact Adhesive Cable Glue
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »
Hi All,
I need to call on your combined expertise.

A Customer had a very nice toilet sign made up (with Black Acrylic, and a transparent cutout).
They wanted LED strips on the back of the sign.
Normally I use the LED Strips that have the built on double sided tape, but I put a streak of Sestic Cable Glue as well, because the tape on the back of those strips is not too sticky.

Now, I went and put a streak of this glue along the top part of the sign (the black acrylic), but I was distracted, or overtired from several nights overtime in a row, or whatever. And I did not realise that the sign was upside down.  :palm:
What that means is that the customers nice new laser cut expensive sign has a streak of this Contact Adhesive glue along the front  |O, instead of the back.

Is there a way to remove this adhesive, without melting the acrylic, or using a blade to shave the acrylic off?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
====================================
www.ShoutingElectronics.com Don't just talk about Electronics, SHOUT ABOUT IT! Electronics Blog Site and Youtube Channel

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: How to remove Sestic Contact Adhesive Cable Glue
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:45:57 pm »
Solvents to try (in this order)

Hot soapy water

WD40

Isopropyl Alcohol

Petrol

Lighter Fluid

Acetone, try in a small area first and see if there is any damage before continuing
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:13:54 pm »
I'd skip the Acetone step, I'm pretty sure that's what they use for bonding (solvent welding) acrylic.
Best Regards, Chris

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 09:52:12 pm »
I think your best bet would be scraping the glue off and then repolishing the sign.

You can try chilling the glue to make it brittle, or (very gentle) heating to soften it.

I would get some plastic scraps from the sign company and try experiments before risking the actual sign.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 05:51:11 am »
The solvent in the Sestic dissolves the acrylic, so the only option, other than a new sign, is to gently scrape it all off ( Minora blade in a holder or a little masking tape to hold the other sharp edge) and repolish the sign. Brasso works well enough, though you will be buffing for ages, or look for some fine buffing compound from your local car painters, as they use a lot of it when respraying a car for some reason. I used to use some Acrylic polish, so give Maizey a call Monday and get some, it will take the top layer off and leave a nice shine.

Been there, done that........

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 06:06:16 am »
You might want to try Toluene since it is the solvent used in many contact adhesives.  It may or may not harm the acrylic -testing that first would be prudent..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf