Author Topic: Trolling the Thought Leaders!  (Read 3019 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Trolling the Thought Leaders!
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:36:55 am »
It started out oh-so innocently, someone retweeted me some dude with 200K twitter followers promoting Wi-Charge, so I thought I'd link in my video as a response

https://twitter.com/evankirstel/status/1016000894855499777

Then when I went to check out who this guy was, turns out he's one of the industries leading "Thought Leaders"! Wow! ;D
http://www.evankirstel.com/

Social Business has been a personal passion for years, as I've grown my personal social networks, while helping dozens of clients grow from zero to tens of thousand of engaged followers. A B2B tech influencer with 200K Twitter, 20K LinkedIn and 100K Instagram followers, I can help you massively grow your social audience and leverage social media as a B2B sales networking, lead generation and thought leadership tool.
I am an internationally recognized thought leader and social media influencer in IoT (#1 in 2017), Cloud, Data Security (2016), Health Tech (#9 in 2017), Digital Health (#6 in 2016), B2B Marketing (#5 in 2015), AI, Smart Home, Digital (2017), IIoT (#1 in 2017) and Telecom/Wireless/5G. My connections are a "Who's Who" in these technologies, I am in the top 10 most mentioned/re-tweeted by CMOs and CIOs (2016) and have been recently named 5th most influential B2B marketeer in the US. My social media “Klout"​ score is 81 and rising!

We are not worthy!

So I couldn't help myself and tweeted back:

Evan didn't like that one bit!
He replied mumbling something about now he knows why Melbourne is better than Sydney, and then promptly blocks me  ;D  :-+

But of course that wasn't the end of it, oh no, one of his thought leader buddies comes in like a knight in shining armour!
https://twitter.com/dez_blanchfield
http://dez.blanchfield.com.au/

who seems strangely obsessed with Butterflies

https://twitter.com/dez_blanchfield/status/1017787656090968069

This starts getting fun!

More butterflies!

And he tries to rope in another one of their thought leaders!

This could get interesting, feel free to come and join in the conversation  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:38:43 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Trolling the Thought Leaders!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:45:06 am »
More butterflies!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:46:26 am »
Social Business has been a personal passion for years, as I've grown my personal social networks, while helping dozens of clients grow from zero to tens of thousand of engaged followers. A B2B tech influencer with 200K Twitter, 20K LinkedIn and 100K Instagram followers, I can help you massively grow your social audience and leverage social media as a B2B sales networking, lead generation and thought leadership tool.
I am an internationally recognized thought leader and social media influencer in IoT (#1 in 2017), Cloud, Data Security (2016), Health Tech (#9 in 2017), Digital Health (#6 in 2016), B2B Marketing (#5 in 2015), AI, Smart Home, Digital (2017), IIoT (#1 in 2017) and Telecom/Wireless/5G. My connections are a "Who's Who" in these technologies, I am in the top 10 most mentioned/re-tweeted by CMOs and CIOs (2016) and have been recently named 5th most influential B2B marketeer in the US. My social media “Klout"​ score is 81 and rising!

That Klout score he boasts about,  :-DD
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/klout-scoring-system-for-social-media-influence-shutting-down-2018-5?r=US&IR=T

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:53:44 am »
I wonder how many of those followers are actual people. I have trouble believing that people selling tweets for hire to anyone bringing cash wouldn't do the same on the other end.

Online chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:40 am »
He just looks like any other clueless idiot growing his or her social network.
I am an internationally recognized thought leader and social media influencer in IoT
Really, fuck off. That's all I have to say on the subject.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, Howardlong

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:00:39 am »
I wonder how many of those followers are actual people. I have trouble believing that people selling tweets for hire to anyone bringing cash wouldn't do the same on the other end.

I can't see them because he's blocked me:
https://twitter.com/evankirstel/followers

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:32:55 am »
I can't see them because he's blocked me:
https://twitter.com/evankirstel/followers
I'm not on Twitter, but he's following over 200K people, while being followed by slightly less. That reeks of a social circle jerk. I looked up Bill Gates and Elon Musk and neither follows more than 200 people. I checked a few more influential people in politics and entertainment and it's all similar. Nobody follows thousands of other people.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:00:09 am »
Nobody follows thousands of other people.

Yep, let alone 200,000. Circle jerk alright.
LinkedIn used to be useful until it turned into the same thing.

And the 683,000 tweets is more link a re-tweeting bot than a human "thought leader".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:03:04 am by EEVblog »

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:14 am »
He (or his bot) tweets some bollocks tech link every 15 minutes or so. 680K tweets.

Value add = 0.

It must be exhausting keeping up with this shit for his 200k authentic A* genuine C-level industry leader followers.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 10:03:50 am »
Thought Leader: Someone who follows others' thoughts and ideas, because they don't have any of their own.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, nugglix

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 10:36:41 am »
I don't think that you are supposed to ask marketing wankers, people who speak in buzzwords and general bullshit distributors to look at reality from an engineering point of view... You are just supposed to act excited (retweet and share) at every bullshit idea, regardless of feasibility, usefulness and other issues.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:55:34 am »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 10:56:28 am »
I don't think that you are supposed to ask marketing wankers, people who speak in buzzwords and general bullshit distributors to look at reality from an engineering point of view... You are just supposed to act excited (retweet and share) at every bullshit idea, regardless of feasibility, usefulness and other issues.

Yeah, I think that's how it's supposed to work.
I'm a naughty boy.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:37 am »
He (or his bot) tweets some bollocks tech link every 15 minutes or so. 680K tweets.
Value add = 0.
It must be exhausting keeping up with this shit for his 200k authentic A* genuine C-level industry leader followers.

Yup, 100%
Does anyone here on twitter tolerate even their most favorite person tweeting a new link filled with hash tags every 15 minutes?

I un-followed many people I've liked on twitter because the volume got too much, or the talk went in a direction I didn't like.
Maybe everyone just Mutes him?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 11:10:00 am »
A tad ironic:

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 12:05:48 pm »
Some people would say the Kardashians are Thought Leaders...

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 01:09:57 pm »
In a world full of that kind of people, how do people stay sane?

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 01:51:09 pm »
Too many butterflies for a legit FDA approval?  :-//
The posting of cute animal pictures is (obviously) some form of expressing dissent by diverting and not getting into an argument. I mean it is ridiculous and childish, any arguing about it can be interpreted in an ambigous way (from the senders point of view, he is ridculing you as conversational partner, jamming the feeds of his followers or just posting cute animal pictures, at the same time can explain it as trying to de-escalate). It probably means you entered "his" sandbox there, better watch out who has the sandmolds. Maybe someone needs to explain that physics is kind of a beyond the pale thing.  :-DD

I ran across the term "thought leadership" quite a few times, and as hilarious it is in itself, it usually means marketing lingo for tweeting more per hour than everyone else about their paying customer...?! Good job, just a tad over using a bot.  |O

However, these gentleman often have a problem with the naked truth, which is an inevitable fact in a STEM field.
Support your local planet.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 11:23:38 pm »
The degree of narcissism that social media has fostered is truly astonishing.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 11:38:02 pm »
The degree of narcissism that social media has fostered is truly astonishing.
It might be related to narcissism, but it seems more it's just another type low grade business, or something not quite a scam. You first buy a lot of followers or enter yourself into a circle jerk ring, then you boast to others how much followers you have and monetize your supposed influence. Record companies buying their own records to boost it in the charts are basically doing the same, or companies that buy television time only to advertise with "as seen on TV".

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 12:02:59 am »
Im at the age when various people report "even numbers" all my alarm bells rings at once! Besides i like butterflys!
The hunt and escape dance between the bat outside my window and various butterflys are spectacular.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf