Author Topic: TV box as a PC possible?  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Nicolas TIKTopic starter

TV box as a PC possible?
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:50:37 pm »
I am noob on this and I am just asking...
TV box is basically similar to Raspberry pi, Orange pi, Banana pi (I am not sure but this is how I think). I am wondering, is it possible to install Debian/Respbian or any ARM support OS on it? So that it would look like a desktop PC and use it just like raspberry pi?
Or maybe TV Box are not as opensource and hardware are some how locked to prevent user from modifying it?

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TV box as a PC possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 04:53:57 pm »
The problem with using these boards is that the ram is fixed and raspberry pis all have 1GB of ram. Even smartphones are faster and you have to consider the price of everything (monitor, accessories).

Still if all you want to do is just documents, web browsing, simple things than ARM can do that. If you want to do even more complex things you are looking at x86.

The following users thanked this post: Nicolas TIK

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »
You could probably root one and flash an image onto them if you wish.

They are not going to have much hardware support in the stock Linux kernel, because they usually run Android and the manufacturers bundle custom open-source or proprietary drivers into their Linux builds to get them to work.

You can probably get a framebuffer (display), USB and networking. Things like hardware acceleration, necessary for 3D graphics and video decode, will likely not work. Wi-Fi may not work if it is not interfaced over USB (typically the embedded boards use something like MII or eMMC signalling standards as USB ports are more expensive).

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:20:08 pm »
even if you're lucky and there are drivers for the graphics chip and there is a linux image  for your TV box and you'll manage to install it without bricking the box... it will be a terribly slow desktop... slow as hell... even raspberry pi is slow as a desktop.
if you're looking into a option of having a single screen for TV and PC then rather go for Intel NUC or Gigabyte BRIX platforms. i personally use the BRIX - it's a very small form factor but it's a full blown PC (even has vesa mount so it can ber mounted on the back of your TV if you wish).

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »
The low end BRIX are neat little computers. I have two of them. Mine use less than 10 watts of power and performance is plenty acceptable for most tasks. The only problem I had was the WiFi card they came with when I bought mine is almost useless with Linux but worked fine with Windows 7. Cost was less than $175, including 4 GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD. I'm running Linux Mint now, but here's a shot from when I tested Windows 7.

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 02:17:42 am »
some tv boxes use non standard hardware with no way of repurposing them. Some run android which can be repurposed.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:06:04 am »
Something to consider is the Nvidia Shield TV. At $150 on sale, it will easily beat similarly priced x86 systems, especially in graphics. (For reference, it's about on par with some Core m PCs.) As a HTPC, it will satisfy all but the most demanding videophiles.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 07:52:50 am »
Something to consider is the Nvidia Shield TV. At $150 on sale, it will easily beat similarly priced x86 systems, especially in graphics. (For reference, it's about on par with some Core m PCs.) As a HTPC, it will satisfy all but the most demanding videophiles.

it won't even remotely beat any x86 as a desktop ;) it will surely beat many systems in gaming (android games only), but not as a desktop.

main reason is because it's ARM, you can install ubuntu or other linux distro there but you will be not able to use any 3rd party programs (e.g. eagle) and won't be able to run windows programs under wine (e.g. any other PCB/CAD/CAM software).

so a x86 system is essential for desktop - and you can even run windows there if you wish ;)

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 07:54:54 am »
TV box is basically similar to Raspberry pi, Orange pi, Banana pi (I am not sure but this is how I think).
Unless you're sure or detail it enough nothing can be inferred.

If it's standard enough there might be a generic OS that runs on it, but if it isn't or deviates too much there will be missing drivers, proprietary things etc that prevent it.

Offline anman

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 10:16:57 pm »
Models S912 probably can be compared. I liked the products TANIX successful combination of media consoles and PC on Android. Or Realtek rtd1295DD, best player, Zidoo x9s
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:51:00 am by anman »

Offline anman

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 06:31:41 pm »
ODROID good product, but the price of necessary modules to it increases the cost of several times. As an alternative option for those who like win10 - Intel Atom Z8700 .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:54:30 am by anman »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 01:04:42 pm »
Those TV boxes are technically PCs, but based on what chipset they are based on you may or may not have the luck in modding them.

I have a dead (as in service - we never used that Std-Def service after upgrading to Hi-Def - the circuit is perfectly working) one but the proprietary drivers got me extremely crippled in trying to hack it.

Offline anman

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 08:58:06 am »
A worthy opponent for ODROID-C2 - can be Khadas Vim An Open Source
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:52:06 am by anman »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 09:23:24 am »
My adblocker is probably rightfully blocking that affiliate/tracking link to a Russian domain...

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 11:30:11 am »
My adblocker is probably rightfully blocking that affiliate/tracking link to a Russian domain...
I often use my trusty virtual machine behind a VPN for those. Safe link - okay copy the final resulting link out, unsafe link - rewind the VM to a known good state.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf