Author Topic: TWIT Tries Soldering Advice  (Read 10696 times)

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
TWIT Tries Soldering Advice
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:48:57 am »
not very good advice shame really leo usually puts effort into his shows
eecs guy

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
Re: TWIT Tries Soldering Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:27:38 am »
"This is the new way to sodder. You used to burn the lead, and lead fumes came out, and you don't want to smell that. Arguably it works better, but we stick with lead free sodder."

Good advice.
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:21:53 pm »
"This is the new way to sodder. You used to burn the lead, and lead fumes came out, and you don't want to smell that. Arguably it works better, but we stick with lead free sodder."

Good advice.

I like the sarcasm here.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »
OK, at the risk of offending US based readers..... I have often wondered why Soldering in the USA is spelt Soldering yet spoken "SODDERING"  :o  It sounds like some sort of depraved sex act   :-[

Does anyone know why the word solder and soldering has become bastardised to "sodder" and "soddering" when spoken in ther USA. I didn't know Americans dropped their L's ? Do Canadians or other nationalities do the same, or is this just an American 'thing' ?

Go on put me out of my misery  ;D

Fraser 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:31:07 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »
I managed 10 minutes before I got board of that crap. Awful video, should be removed in the name of saving internet resources for something better

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:55:42 pm »
Do Canadians or other nationalities do the same, or is this just an American 'thing' ?
I say solder because of Dave actually, tech ed teacher way back used to say sodder, mother gave me strange look saying solder (she's american however, and told me as a kid that Linux was pronounced L-eye-nix), have yet to remember what DIY electronics buddies I know here use)

It's American, but we're close to them. :-) They drop their u's too, like color, or flavor,and even say "I'll write you a check"

Middle english = soudur (close), french = solduree and soulder, but latin = solidare (to solidify, so I'll stick with latin's L's.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:06:40 pm by MmCoffee »
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline Stephen Hill

• Regular Contributor
  • M3VXY
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:11 pm »
I hate Leo Laporte.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »
What annoys me most is not that they are idiots, but that they are preachers.

This sort of shit does not need to be circulated to newbies.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »
Solder fumes do not contain lead, even when using leaded solder.

Lead boils at over 1,700°C. If your soldering iron is that hot, you have a serious problem!

The fumes are flux, which can still be hazardous, but the hazard is the same for lead and lead-free solders.

Also - correct me if I'm wrong - rosin-core has nothing to do with lead or lead-free, it refers to flux embedded in the solder.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:59:52 pm by tom66 »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:11 am »
The fumes are flux, which can still be hazardous, but the hazard is the same for lead and lead-free solders.

I have an idea the fumes are worse for lead-free solder due to the need for stronger and more chemically active flux in those solders.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05:23 am »

I have an idea the fumes are worse for lead-free solder due to the need for stronger and more chemically active flux in those solders.

Not sure if lead-free is more harmful in terms of flux, but it could be a factor. Of course it would vary from solder to solder, and they are both bad enough to recommend avoiding. In general, I would always solder in a good ventilated environment. Solder fumes are a workplace hazard; we have fume extractors at my workplace on every soldering workbench

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 01:59:59 am »
I've got my eye swollen from rosin flux before so at best avoid all flux flumes  :(

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 02:02:07 am »
I find the twit network a bit shite now. Too many ads. -Way- too many ads. Some shows take two and a half minutes to get going. But before I go onto my next paragraph, I wanna take a quick break...

This forum post was brought to you by Brookland Valley wines. From Western Australia, mate.

I find it hard to believe that of all the people who work in the twit brick house, there's nobody there who could show they can really sodder. It might have something to do with the fact that most of the toys and gadgets they have to play with are Android phones and Apple stuff.

They don't even sodder any cables and leads for the production gear. I wonder who exactly this show was aimed at? The audience, I imagine, would be just as sodder ignorant as the hosts. And have no reason to sodder anything.

Strange.  ???

I've got my eye swollen from rosin flux before so at best avoid all flux flumes  :(

Soddering has never affected me at all.

At all.

At all.
iratus parum formica

Offline Astroplio

• Regular Contributor
    • Welcome to myrobots
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 02:56:32 am »
So they thought they could demonstrate how easy it is for anyone to solder, because it is a skill you need to have if you want to do some hardware mod. Fine.

And so they bought a super cheap learn-to-solder kit from Amazon that goes for under 15$ that includes a demo pcb (siren), solder soldering iron, and wire cutters. (Listed on Amazon as Elenco amerikit). What could go wrong?

[...]

OK at least we now have video evidence to show to people who ask for advice on an iron.
You will be a fool to get one in this price range.

BTW get and use additional flux on the PCB board, the resin flux in the solder is not enough, you can't really tell from this video because the iron is so bad.

Mr Akhtar, sir, sorry, you still don't know how to solder.

Leo, that was a bad episode, and no I am not a fan, although you are an excellent presenter. I stopped listening to your radio broadcasts in 2007 because I realized I could find all the info you gave already on google, and didn't like the massive load of advertisements.

It was both painful and amusing to watch.

George
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:33:48 am by Astroplio »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 05:01:19 am »
A few good shows on the network.....

Just remember Leo is a software guy, and Iyaz is a lawyer. One Can't see and the other can read the instructions.........

I lasted 8 minutes into it.

BTW I have used an instant heat soldering gun to replace SM parts, and to repair remotes with dry joints.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:35:17 am by SeanB »

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 06:10:18 am »
OK, at the risk of offending US based readers..... I have often wondered why Soldering in the USA is spelt Soldering yet spoken "SODDERING"  :o  It sounds like some sort of depraved sex act   :-[

Does anyone know why the word solder and soldering has become bastardised to "sodder" and "soddering" when spoken in ther USA. I didn't know Americans dropped their L's ? Do Canadians or other nationalities do the same, or is this just an American 'thing' ?

Go on put me out of my misery  ;D

Fraser

To quote from this video travesty "Soddering is spelt with an L for reasons which no one can understand" I am sure most in the USA still think the earth is flat!  ;) :P :P

Offline EEMarc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 06:34:58 am »
Does anyone know why the word solder and soldering has become bastardised to "sodder" and "soddering" when spoken in ther USA.

We do it to avoid sounding British at all costs.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 07:58:48 am »
Awwwww we're not that bad  :P
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
I would hazard a guess that the Americans use the word soddering due to being stuck in the 17th century language wise, they also turn on the faucet rather than the tap in order to run cold water on their hands after picking up the soddering iron  by the hot end which is a practice that I really don't understand.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:11 pm »
Alright alright! ;D

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 04:00:47 am »
Leo has expressed an interest in doing a "hardware hacking" type of show for a long time now.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 05:00:01 am »
I would hazard a guess that the Americans use the word soddering due to being stuck in the 17th century language wise, they also turn on the faucet rather than the tap in order to run cold water on their hands after picking up the soddering iron  by the hot end which is a practice that I really don't understand.

"Ouch! That sodding,er,Soddering iron is sodding hot!!!"

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:31 am »
Real men solder with silver, flux, and a 350W Ungar.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 05:52:00 am »
Most of my silver soldering is done with either a MAPP torch or an acetylene Portapack.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:58 am »
I prefer oxy propane for silver soldering or brazing as it is easier not to burn the metal and is a cleaner flame as there is less carbon oxy hydrogen is the best but I cant justify the extra cylinder hire.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf