Author Topic: TWIT Tries Soldering Advice  (Read 10752 times)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: TWIT Tries Soldering Advice
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 09:21:41 am »
When and why do you need silver solder?  And why the high temps?  Is the melting point unreachable with a standard iron?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 09:52:07 am »
I do airconditioning.........Silver soldering or silphos brazing, as the need arises. MAPP torch works up to a 10mm pipe, but bigger needs the oxy torch for the higher heat output. MAPP torch also makes a great fire starter, no need for firelighters, just a few minutes of ultra nuke and the fire burns well.

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 10:03:37 am »
It was really meant as a joke, but in my case I used silver solder for making slot car chassis. They're made from piano wire and brass, silver solder bonds with the carbon steel and the brass.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 10:25:12 am »
I find the twit network a bit shite now. Too many ads. -Way- too many ads. Some shows take two and a half minutes to get going. But before I go onto my next paragraph, I wanna take a quick break...

And it's like a morning TV show, 60 minutes chit-chat and 5 minutes of what we might consider being some kind of content or a fragment of a piece of information.

PS: I take a box of red wine :-)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 10:38:39 am »
Seems to be a working show. Leo makes enough to keep on the air, and keep the doors open with it. There are some good sections, but I do miss Ray Maxwell, seems science and such does not really sell well, but the Maxwell's house episodes are very good, and worth listening or watching, if only for Ray teaching.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf