Poll

So, what you (UK) guys think? Exit or not to exit?

YES, please get me out of there (I'm UK) [go]
41 (19.5%)
Hell no, we are one big (happy) family! (I'm UK) [stay]
42 (20%)
OMG, let them Go! [go]
63 (30%)
I love the UK, they are family! [stay]
64 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 10, 2016, 10:29:34 am

Author Topic: UK forum members, BREXIT?  (Read 508881 times)

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UK forum members, BREXIT?
« Reply #575 on: June 22, 2016, 06:55:18 am »

Yeah!  The PIGS* might be in economic turmoil due to having no control over their own financial policy having adopted the Euro, but at least your road trips are more convenient!  That's a small price (for them) to pay.  >:D

* Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain.

An inaccurate statement, in fact half the problem with Eurozone is the lack of fiscal harmonisation. Regardless I'll be voting to remain....

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #576 on: June 22, 2016, 07:14:04 am »
Sorry, I went into rant mode on the CE marking thing. Thankfully deaths from unsafe appliances are rare, Amazon withdrew hoverboards because of the fire risks, but who is accountable and does the victim get any compensation. If somebody can be shown to be criminally neglegent then you might have a good chance, otherwise it would be a civil case and you would probably have to pay court costs.
Most of the forum members have a technical and/or scientific background and can make a judgemant call when it comes to electrical safety, members of the public who may not have the same technical and scientific background can't.
I think for most part CE marking and harmonized standards work well and if we stay or leave we would still have to adhere to the same standards.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #577 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:16 am »
The brexit will bring prosperity to the irish, good for them.

The following users thanked this post: Towger

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #578 on: June 22, 2016, 08:56:53 am »
Since recent there is a EU president but this post is more or less ceremonial.
There are no less than 4 EU presidents.

None of whom are democratically elected.

And I defy anyone to name them all without looking them up.

Go Democracy!
Council - Donald Tusk
Commission - Jean-Claude Juncker
Parliament - Martin Schulz
Revolving presidency - The Netherlands

Had to look up Schulz and the current revolving presidency, But then I can't name a German politician other than Merkel and frequently forget who the French PM is.

Heck I'd be hard pushed to name all of the UK cabinet

The EU is not a soverign power - why would it have a president.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #579 on: June 22, 2016, 09:53:54 am »
indeed they are all chairmans.
And I could also not name all the ministers in our cabinet let alone the state secretaries.

Anyway, the brexit is a good sign the EU should hold back a bit, it was going to fast without solving issues that really need to be solved.
What I also did not like one bit is that all countries had to economize because of the bad economic climate but the EU wanted more money each and every year.
That is rediculous, if all countries in the EU are doing great, fine they can raise their budget but if all countries are suffering so should they.
Also the EU employees have unbelievable tax benefits and traveling expenses that are beyond your wildest dreams. They should just act as normal as our own governments and pipe down a bit.
And concerning buying all the worthless bonds of all eu countries the last two years, OMG what are they thinking.
Come to think of it, why are we not leaving  :-DD

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #580 on: June 22, 2016, 10:40:27 am »
One thing the EU parliament can do without for sure is moving between Brussels and Strasbourg every month.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #581 on: June 22, 2016, 10:49:33 am »
One thing the EU parliament can do without for sure is moving between Brussels and Strasbourg every month.
Agree on that one - it's utterly insane and wastes more than €100 million per year. Even most MEPs think it is nuts.

BUT changing it would require agreement of all 28 nations and itis generally agreed that the French want to continue with the parliament in Strasbourg and will not acquiesce.

I'm guessing the Belgians would feel the same about a permanent move to Strasbourg so I guess that isn't a solution.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2016, 11:06:32 am »
"Also the EU employees have unbelievable tax benefits and traveling expenses that are beyond your wildest dreams. "

Everyone is equal, except some is more equal than others.

A sure sign of political corruption.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2016, 11:12:06 am »
"Also the EU employees have unbelievable tax benefits and traveling expenses that are beyond your wildest dreams. "

Everyone is equal, except some is more equal than others.

A sure sign of political corruption.

So whats new?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #584 on: June 22, 2016, 11:56:42 am »
CE tests/certification are mandatory if workers/customers/public/children/... are involved. I assumed you at least knew that.

So whom does that leave that it is not mandatory for?   :-DD
Prototypes used as prototype, test setups in closed environments, tools only used by the owner himself, parts/devices that will not be used standalone and will be integrated into a bigger ensemble, temporary setups with partial certifications,...
Understand this sentence the way I wrote it: Every item with it's own exceptions, limits, assumptions.
So how any of those can be sold to the end customer unless it's some kind of bare board like Arduino. Those devices which can be sold as such are a minuscule part of total items produced.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #585 on: June 22, 2016, 01:10:47 pm »
Agree on that one - it's utterly insane and wastes more than €100 million per year. Even most MEPs think it is nuts.
I suggest a 1-time move to Turkey. So Turkey has more than they ever dreamed of, and we will get rid of it all.

I'm guessing the Belgians would feel the same about a permanent move to Strasbourg so I guess that isn't a solution.
There is no generalised "feel" of the Belgians.
The directly/indirectly net oversubsidized Belgians want it to stay.
The ones that can directly/indirectly net pay for it want it to leave.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #586 on: June 22, 2016, 02:40:12 pm »

BUT changing it would require agreement of all 28 nations and itis generally agreed that the French want to continue with the parliament in Strasbourg and will not acquiesce.

Move annually, rather than every month or split it in two and use video conferencing.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #587 on: June 22, 2016, 02:42:10 pm »

Move annually, rather than every month or split it in two and use video conferencing.

Haha!  Best of luck with that!

If the EU won't even make the change to avoid that travelling circus every month, how can we expect them ever to make the political reforms needed?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #588 on: June 22, 2016, 03:34:51 pm »
Also the EU employees have unbelievable tax benefits and traveling expenses that are beyond your wildest dreams. They should just act as normal as our own governments and pipe down a bit.

It must be the 'new' EU employees who pay tax. Approx 16% according to the internet.  I know someone who started when Ireland initially joined in the 70's and only retired a couple of years ago. She always maintained she paid no tax, as by a quirk in the system she was not resident in any country.  The travel allowances paid 1st/business class, but if you traveled steerage you could pocked the difference...

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #589 on: June 22, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »
If the EU won't even make the change to avoid that travelling circus every month, how can we expect them ever to make the political reforms needed?
This seems to be the usual criticism which is levelled at the EU but I am not sure it is totally valid.

For something like the monthly move of the EU Parliament then having to have unanimous agreement is always going to fall foul of one or two nations who stubbornly oppose change. But it might also be argued that it is a relatively inconsequential decision (and therefore ideal for endless debate). Moving Parliament and maintaining two sets of infrastructure is certainly wasteful but it does not fundamentally harm the EU.

On other matters agreement is reached and laws are enacted so I don't think it follows from the fact that agreement can't be reached on the switcheroo between Strasbourg and Brussels it automatically follows that other reforms would never be agreed upon.

Just quite likely  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:11:59 pm by grumpydoc »

Offline doobedoobedo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #590 on: June 22, 2016, 05:31:26 pm »
Buried as a side note in the business section on our 'impartial' BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060

Quote from: Markus Kerber (head of BDI)
Imposing trade barriers, imposing protectionist measures between our two countries - or between the two political centres, the European Union on the one hand and the UK on the other - would be a very, very foolish thing in the 21st Century,

Offline FrankD

• Contributor
« Reply #591 on: June 22, 2016, 05:56:07 pm »
Inhabitants of Gibraltar can pack there bags if a brexit becomes a reality.  :popcorn:

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #592 on: June 22, 2016, 06:05:25 pm »
A German industry boss has said it would be "very, very foolish" if the EU imposes trade barriers on the UK in the event it votes to leave the EU

So ,when a employee has low performance, he generated conflicts between companions from corporation, according the German Boss would be a savagery to fire the troubled employee in the 21s century.

When it really ,this boss wouldn't doubt on any moment to fire the employee. I believe that is the same situation besides on  an easy situation , he wants to go out

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #593 on: June 22, 2016, 06:24:14 pm »
Council - Donald Tusk

Juncker is a cheerful fellow:

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #594 on: June 22, 2016, 06:29:28 pm »
Inhabitants of Gibraltar can pack there bags if a brexit becomes a reality.  :popcorn:

Years and years the abuses and insults  versus spanish , i glad  that the british vote for going out .

we can install to border a giant speakers and it plays a record from a oxided gate that is closing or the spanish song "the  english that came from London"

https://youtu.be/tvMUpxQHEmg

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #595 on: June 22, 2016, 06:41:26 pm »
Council - Donald Tusk

Juncker is a cheerful fellow :

The Junker is the godparent from Europe

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #596 on: June 22, 2016, 07:01:43 pm »
You should consume less propaganda on evenings. You are so concerned about Putin, but most of what you see are scare stories like those about Russian submarine 2 years ago which turned out to be bullshit as your defense minister admitted recently. Guess what was the purpose of searching non existent submarine:

There are no propaganda ask Trump and Farange! Its much better if you dont portray your self as Juerg Haider apologist by putting words in mouth. Im not particularly concerned merely holding the mirror reflect the future Putin-Trump friendship. Genuine swedes know their crocked politicians inside out and Russia has been a enemy since vikings lost Rus back in 800 AD or so. Besides the sub came from Austria and we Finns have very god president and gladly hire him out on consultant basis to US and Austria so they can learn a thing or two.

Iceland a viking nation led by a swedish viking just won 2-1 against a silly pompous Austria! Moooohahahahaha!  >:D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:52:57 pm by MT »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #597 on: June 22, 2016, 07:52:20 pm »

Why is Spain so popular with the British?  weather - economics   ??
(BBC says Spain is the number 1 country for British expats)
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #598 on: June 22, 2016, 07:53:45 pm »
Sun and cheap alcohol! Costa del sol is their favorite retirement destination, if Brittons exit Eu the Spaniards could quite easily demand them out of Spain! :popcorn:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:57:45 pm by MT »

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #599 on: June 22, 2016, 08:07:15 pm »
Code: [Select]
Sun and cheap alcohol!
cheap and bad quality alcohol because the fine alcohol is more expensive.

Besides ,  free health service paid by the stupid spanish.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf