Poll

So, what you (UK) guys think? Exit or not to exit?

YES, please get me out of there (I'm UK) [go]
41 (19.5%)
Hell no, we are one big (happy) family! (I'm UK) [stay]
42 (20%)
OMG, let them Go! [go]
63 (30%)
I love the UK, they are family! [stay]
64 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 10, 2016, 10:29:34 am

Author Topic: UK forum members, BREXIT?  (Read 513202 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: UK forum members, BREXIT?
« Reply #775 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »
Voters with better education voted for "Stay" and the voters with less education voted for "Leave". This is a clear indication that the Britain lacks educated people and savings in the education expenses backfired. It is country's interest to provide a good education for as many people as possible.

Unbelievable naivety, in fact your comment demonstrates the type of ignorance that resulted in a leave vote.... FFS  :palm:

If my rather ugly FB feed is to be believed, those are the claims. Both PhDs, one (an educational psycholgist) has stated that it's lack of citizenship education and "they" don't know what they have voted for, and the other eloquently states "they" are "gullible ignorant tw**s". So with that healthy stew of condescension and ad hominem invective, it appears that no-one else can possibly form their own opinion unless it's aligned with their highly educated one. Not at all attractive TBH.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #776 on: June 24, 2016, 02:08:14 pm »
When the scotts etc leave UK in good order there must be some border control so arab immigrants cant sneak over the border to England.
In Scandinavia all the press don now is to interview the "oligarchs" who in tuned choir singes the "disaster song" due to brexit. Well of course they
do play that old "theatrical piece" in reality they have moved and moves all the untaxed money to Panama!
Money has no borders only people have!

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #777 on: June 24, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »
Voters with better education voted for "Stay" and the voters with less education voted for "Leave". This is a clear indication that the Britain lacks educated people and savings in the education expenses backfired. It is country's interest to provide a good education for as many people as possible.

Unbelievable naivety, in fact your comment demonstrates the type of ignorance that resulted in a leave vote.... FFS  :palm:

Oh no, I just restated what was already known that the people with more education voted for "Stay" and people with less education voted for "Leave". For reference, see for example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-how-the-results-compare-to-the-uks-educated-old-an/

What you did was to take statistical data and attribute to it unwarranted conclusions which fit your own opinions. Correlation does not imply causation.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #778 on: June 24, 2016, 02:12:42 pm »
There is a swing to the right across the continent. Not dissimilar to the time just before the rise of Hitler.

It's very different this time, they have the EEVBlog forum to discuss and resolve their differences.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: June 24, 2016, 02:19:38 pm »
May I use the international reach of the EEVblog forum to pass this message to my dear continental cousins:

Join us!  Force your domestic politicians to listen to the will of your people.  Free your great and proud nations from the hideous, arrogant, condescending, inefficient, autocratic bureaucracy that is the EU.

The EU simply cannot continue as it is.  As the EU is also resolutely against any kind of serious reform, the only way forward for prosperity of our nations and people is for the EU to disband.

I hope that when I am an old man, I will be boring the kids with stories of how my vote played its part in the beginning of the end of "that strange EU thing they tried back in your day Grandad".

I reckon the Dutch, Danes, and Swedes are the most likely to go next.

:-+
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:20:21 pm by Delta »

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #780 on: June 24, 2016, 02:21:40 pm »

Oh no, I just restated what was already known that the people with more education voted for "Stay" and people with less education voted for "Leave". For reference, see for example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-how-the-results-compare-to-the-uks-educated-old-an/

What you did was to take statistical data and attribute to it unwarranted conclusions which fit your own opinions. Correlation does not imply causation.

I maybe wrong, of course. One can also argue that the higher standard of living and higher level of education are correlated but does not imply causality.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #781 on: June 24, 2016, 02:27:12 pm »
I just heard on the radio upraise in NorthIrland is on the move to exit UK to rejoin the Irish republic and not EU!
That's quite something!
UK is on its move to dissolve it self, but dont be sad Trump will support England when he becomes US president!

I reckon the Dutch, Danes, and Swedes are the most likely to go next.
 :-+

No way, Swedes are more upset about their government left or right no matter, then EU. Sweden is all about export for its economy else it will collapse. Ofcourse a deliberate ear lent to extremist rights people will tell you otherwise but traditional conservative right people want to stay in EU.
Sweden's biggest trading partner is zee Germany since Gothic times.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:33:00 pm by MT »

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #782 on: June 24, 2016, 02:27:21 pm »
For the first time in this poll here, the stayers are more than the leavers. Buyer's remorse?

Edit: speling
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:33:25 pm by jancumps »

The following users thanked this post: Towger

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #783 on: June 24, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »

usual abuse of statistics... I'm sure if I dug into the results I could find all sorts of bullshit indicators and as someone said earlier educated people make stupid decisions too... Frankly I think this whole result is due to simple bigotry whether amongst the educated or not...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:37:55 pm by StuUK »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #784 on: June 24, 2016, 02:35:23 pm »

I don't know that this is true but it seems plausible.  Those with higher education are probably better off financially and have more to lose with the exit.  Those who are struggling for jobs, competing with immigrants perhaps, maybe they don't think they have as much to lose and possibly they could gain when jobs become available.  Despite all the rhetoric about higher level concepts, this vote came down to jobs and immigration (in my opinion).  The US vote may do the very same thing.

I guess most folks woke up this morning wondering "Now what?".  We live in interesting times...

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #785 on: June 24, 2016, 02:36:28 pm »
Will be interesting to see whom the separatists now will blame for their own following f*ckups. The EU was an easy target to blame for all and everything. Now they're in need to find new culprits  :popcorn:

Indeed!!!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #786 on: June 24, 2016, 02:41:16 pm »
May I used the international reach of the EEVblog forum to pass this message to my dear continental cousins:

Join us!  Force your domestic politicians to listen to the will of your people.  Free your great and proud nations from the hideous, arrogant, condescending, inefficient, autocratic bureaucracy that is the EU.
It is always interesting to see people are too blinded to see that any form of democratic government however distant it may be is the result from their own voting. Simply put: you voted for the ones that rule you. If you think you are not heard or taken seriously means that a) you voted wrong in the past b) the majority doesn't agree with you.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #787 on: June 24, 2016, 02:42:05 pm »
Will be interesting to see whom the separatists now will blame for their own following f*ckups. The EU was an easy target to blame for all and everything. Now they're in need to find new culprits  :popcorn:
That's an easy answer actually. They will still blame the EU. I can say on our own example in Latvia, 25 years out of Soviet union and now in EU. Still blaming Russia for every internal problem to happen  :palm:. Also, memory of the voter is no longer than 1 year in average IMO.

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #788 on: June 24, 2016, 02:45:20 pm »
One of the dangers, and advantages, of a democracy is that occasionally you do get to have your say.

ZAP!

The following users thanked this post: bills, Delta

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #789 on: June 24, 2016, 02:45:56 pm »

I don't know that this is true but it seems plausible.  Those with higher education are probably better off financially and have more to lose with the exit.  Those who are struggling for jobs, competing with immigrants perhaps, maybe they don't think they have as much to lose and possibly they could gain when jobs become available.  Despite all the rhetoric about higher level concepts, this vote came down to jobs and immigration (in my opinion).  The US vote may do the very same thing.

I agree. The question remains: Will there be more jobs available really.

Offline doobedoobedo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #790 on: June 24, 2016, 02:46:11 pm »
Frankly I think this whole result is due to simple bigotry whether amongst the educated or not...

That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation

Quote from: The Dictionary
bigotry noun
intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Take a look in the mirror.

The following users thanked this post: Delta, 3db

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #791 on: June 24, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »
I instinctively want to think that is a fake picture.

His resignation is to be expected. As a leader of the remain camp, it is not right for him to act as the caretaker of the country in the aftermath of a leave vote, over-whelming one too.

Cameron did the honorable thing by tendering his resignation. I'm sure it was a difficult decision but he did the right thing for the country, and for himself in the long-run.

Bollocks !!.
He resigned to reduce the pending torry party meltdown.

Um.. not the resignation part.. the headline "Britain votes to leave the UN:palm:

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #792 on: June 24, 2016, 03:10:10 pm »
I agree. The question remains: Will there be more jobs available really.
The question is, will be native Brits willing to work on "those" jobs?

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #793 on: June 24, 2016, 03:11:49 pm »
One can also argue that the higher standard of living and higher level of education are correlated

That's likely true statistically. You are also likely find more correlation between education and white collar crimes; education and lack of physical fitness or physical strength; education and lack of work ethics, ..... An educated person is necessary or even statistically a better or a wiser or a more deserving person.

But education doesn't make one smarter, back to our discussion, nor does it make one's decisions more likely to be correct.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #794 on: June 24, 2016, 03:12:59 pm »

That's easy.  As usual, they will blame racial minorities.  Perhaps even Jewish financiers.   A well-trodden path.

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #795 on: June 24, 2016, 03:19:47 pm »
One can also argue that the higher standard of living and higher level of education are correlated

That's likely true statistically. You are also likely find more correlation between education and white collar crimes; education and lack of physical fitness or physical strength; education and lack of work ethics, ..... An educated person is necessary or even statistically a better or a wiser or a more deserving person.

But education doesn't make one smarter, back to our discussion, nor does it make one's decisions more likely to be correct.

Surely making one's decisions more likely to be correct is one of the few things that education *should* do - at least if the education is any good!

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #796 on: June 24, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »
The Union Kingdom is the new Spain from century XIX: Divided, with regional tensions and  the civil wars that we don't know when it will begin. :rant:

David Cameron have done the same that the president of the First Republic of Spain Estanislao Figueras(1873): he  mounted the mess(Spanish Federation) and run away, leaving Spain with the Third Charlist War(North Spain) , with a Cantonista Rebelion(South Spain) and a war with the Cuban Separist  .

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: June 24, 2016, 03:36:01 pm »
The UK is not under sharia law and i would disagree if britain tried to impose sharia law in any part of it.

For a Sunni this is essentially apostasy.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #798 on: June 24, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »
Really wish I hadn't mentioned 'Sharia law' now, as it was just an example of what *some* American media likes to portray to get ratings.  If there is any British citizens in this thread that are 'scared' of the possibility - they need to stop living in their own little world.  The only example I have seen of someone trying to impose Laws other than the current British laws are a small group of young men who want attention.  And that was over inflated by the media. Any citizens who try to impose any other laws are themselves - breaking the law.  But anyways, back on topic - I see from the Telegraph that there are quite a few 'leave' voters who have changed their minds  :palm:  This is why for every referendum people should be made to sit quietly, in an empty room, for 10 minutes before deciding on their vote.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #799 on: June 24, 2016, 03:50:56 pm »
At present rates more Muslims will be born in Germany than native German within a couple of years. Islam is an example of the complete lunacy of liberals, who are in complete denial of the demographic replacement which can take place over a single generation if things go on like this.

Jihad and implementing Shariah is the duty of every Sunni Muslim, the revivalists have it right ... the revivalists are also rapidly taking over everywhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf