Author Topic: UK ISPs  (Read 7369 times)

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UK ISPs
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 03:51:14 pm »
Firmware was updated. I have queues running on it, which was the purpose of buying it i.e. to stop the kids from eating up all my bandwidth while I'm working.

I can't be bothered to deal with it if I'm honest. When you spend all day fixing other people's shit you start not to care about your own. I'd rather fire up my soldering iron and play with that. I'll wait until the RB blows up, then just but some PoS from Amazon for £20 and change the WiFi password when I want some bandwidth back :)

This will do! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N4VUB0Q/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:53:13 pm by setq »

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:28 pm »
the only other router that comes close to the configurability of mikrotik is asus router with RMerlin's firmware, perhaps because i showed the difference in capability of QoS of the platforms so he added the capability to choose the QoS algorithm you want (like with mikrotik) and adjust/tune it. It also includes IPTables which is just like mikrotik's configurable firewall.

Some MIPS based routerboards have openwrt for them, so you may want to check that.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:31 pm »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 12:31:22 pm »
I'd always choose Virgin if possible. The longest outage I've had is a couple of hours, but according to thinkbroadband I've not had an outage in 8 months.

Currently on Vivid 300, which is 300 down and 20 up and I don't ever see any deviations from those speeds.

If you're limited to ADSL, I'd be tempted to pay for a business line from Claranet
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf