Author Topic: ultra sonic transducers  (Read 4847 times)

Offline pete gTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: ultra sonic transducers
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2024, 11:47:02 pm »
its really strange. my neighbor with the dogs(5) hunting types has to get up every am and go to work. i'am sure he hears the dogs., also. thank god i'am retired and can sleep all day if need be.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2024, 10:15:12 am »
Sounds like you need an evening rock festival to keep him up past his bedtime.

Depending on where you live, that sort of disturbance (the dogs) would warrant a visit from the local authority, hopefully resulting in a Notice:

https://www.middevon.gov.uk/residents/dogs/dog-barking/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2024, 04:06:27 pm »
unfortunately, the authorities ignore the problem totally.

Online eutectique

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 10:35:24 am »
You might get some ideas from these videos:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 10:29:36 pm »
hi and thanks for your suggestion. i have found some circuits that i'am pursuing. i've tried several so far, to no avail. several more to go. the problem is to get the range i need.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2024, 02:17:50 am »
You say you don't have enough range.  Have you tried your short range devices at short range?   Maybe walk over to the barking dogs and see at what range they stop barking.  With that information you can be more specific about what you need.  For example if they stop barking when you are 5 feet away and you need to work from 150 feet you will need to step up power by (150/5)^2 or 900 times.  And at that level the ultrasonic sound might interfere with your sleep directly, even if you can't hear it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2024, 03:45:42 pm »
yes, i thought their might be a mathematical way to figure out the power needed. if, say i need to transmit a hundred feet how much power would i need? it's hard to get at the dogs as theres  thick bushes blocking the way. theres one commercial unit that says 150 feet range. true? it sounds like from what you folks say, its going to be quite difficult to do. some guys are putting the ultra sonic signal thru very powerful amps. i don't think i want to go there. the last thing i want is to hurt the dogs.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2024, 05:39:58 pm »
Maybe you can test your prototype on dogs at a pound or other location.  The whole point is to quantify the range at which a known power suppresses barking.  That is the basis for determining the power needed at your target range.  The equation I gave assumes one over range squared attenuation.  Thick bushes will provide an additional large attenuation, but would need measurement to determine the magnitude of the attenuation.  Unfortunately for your problem the bushes will be less effective at attenuating the lower frequency sounds associated with barking, so the fact that you hear them barking doesn't imply that your ultrasound will go the other way.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2024, 05:55:48 pm »
I would not view the claim of 150 feet range by one commercial unit as reliable.  Unless you know a lot more about the company providing this unit, their history, user reviews and published data of results the claim must be treated as possibly false.  The field of ultrasonic control device is rife with charlatans.  Some may be good, solid providers, others are sincere but don't have a sound basis for their devices effectiveness and others are full on lying, with devices that don't even have measurable output. It is a good field for scammers as proof of defectiveness is hard to come by.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2024, 10:43:23 pm »
yes, i could see how there are fakers out there. its funny. the dogs don't make a sound during the day. nothing, zelch. come 2am the fun starts. its so ill logical. during the day there are all kinds of disturbances and activity. at 2am, you can hear a pin drop and thats when the dogs bark? go figure.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2024, 03:16:30 am »
maybe its like going online

Online RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2024, 07:34:09 pm »
   If you'd talk to that neighbor there might be surprises.
   Perhaps it's an older woman, widow and very sick.   A couple of my complaints were with next door having vicious-seeming pack of several dogs roaming.   So that was worse!
Maybe that neighbor has a small pet peeve, but against the folks that sold you your house, and doesn't even realize you are newer person living there.
   Lots and lots of 'irony' possible.   Plus, maybe you would 'blame' them for causing you to have to build such a device, in the first place (..?)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf