Author Topic: You know that you're really a nerd when ...  (Read 13259 times)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: You know that you're really a nerd when ...
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 07:28:36 pm »
...You buy all sorts of cheap gadgets to modify...

...While helping your friend with a physics problem involving swimming up a river, you turn the problem into a phasor analysis problem involving the series connection of two AC voltage sources...

...You're convinced you can build a radar out of a defibrillator, a microwave oven, and a satellite dish...

...You think that by adding an Arduino to the above setup, you can talk to E.T. If you believed in E.T., that is...

...At every Eta Kappa Nu meeting, all you seem to talk about are engineering projects and ideas...

...Your best friend is a model, and the part you like most about her is her engineering skills...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline 74HC04

• Contributor
  • Lifetime Electronics Nerd and full-time EE.
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »
...study the Wikipedia article about the worlds different power plugs in your lunch hour.

...And get a great feeling of satisfaction when you correctly recall the UK plug is a BS1363 or that cloverleaf is actually an IEC type C5! :D

Offline slburris

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 05:33:26 am »
...Your best friend is a model, and the part you like most about her is her engineering skills...

None of the models I ever met had any engineering skills.  And none of the engineers were
models.  But this was back in the early 1980s, maybe things have improved since then :-)

Scott

Offline .o:0|O|0:o.

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:55 pm »
Any minor skill becomes a talent when she's a model.

Then again, sometimes the pretty ones do look at books as much as mirrors (see Rachel Riley ;-)

.o:0|O|0:o.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »
To any true nerd a model is a creation by air-fix which comes with glue and decals.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:41 am »
To any true nerd a model is a creation by air-fix
Or Estes.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 01:08:01 am »
...You see side cutters as a perfectly reasonable way to trim your hair and wonder why people look at you funny.

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 06:56:36 pm »

None of the models I ever met had any engineering skills.  And none of the engineers were
models.  But this was back in the early 1980s, maybe things have improved since then :-)

Scott

They're all training to be designers.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »
None of the models I ever met had any engineering skills.  And none of the engineers were
models.  But this was back in the early 1980s, maybe things have improved since then :-)
20-30 years completely changes engineering... For the record, I also know some engineers (Susmitha Gouni, Amanda Patterson, Sarah Thibodeaux, et al.) who are not models (as far as I know), but look like they could be. :)

And note that modern engineering focuses a lot more on looks than it has in the past. For example, the circuit board in a USB Flash drive is designed with traditional engineering, but the casing is something the models and fashion designers work on. (Although mechanical engineering also plays a part in making it tough enough to withstand mishandling.)
To any true nerd a model is a creation by air-fix which comes with glue and decals.
To circuit simulation engineers, models are just files. (Actually, it is said that UNIX represents just about everything as files. In theory, I could create a virtual character device file ("/dev/ptyTiffanyYep", perhaps?) that lets me talk to Tiffany Yep using the cat command.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline CryptLordGR

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 09:30:24 am »
...you go to a place and the first thing you check is if there is WiFi

Offline quantumfall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 11:35:40 am »
You wake up and there is a work bench with a hot soldering iron 24'' from the end of your bed.  I shared a flat (apartment) and only had a room for myself twenty five years ago :)

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 03:47:44 pm »
You wake up and there is a work bench with a hot soldering iron 24'' from the end of your bed.  I shared a flat (apartment) and only had a room for myself twenty five years ago :)

Sounds like my dorm room at the university.

Offline arcom

• Contributor
    • Arc's Lab
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 04:13:54 pm »
...you dream SPICE simulations and change component values to improve your dreamy design :o

Offline JohnS_AZTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 04:23:41 pm »
... over dinner you try to explain that you could cook the turkey more accurately if the oven had a PID controller, and the thermal feedback loop was tightened significantly.
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 09:54:40 pm »
Really a nerd when you feel bitter and twisted, and you begin creating conspiracy theories after not winning a multimeter giveaway.  ;D

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:58 am »
... over dinner you try to explain that you could cook the turkey more accurately if the oven had a PID controller, and the thermal feedback loop was tightened significantly.
The new ovens with digital controls probably do have some form of very basic PID control. All it takes is some software in the microcontroller.

Offline apex

• Regular Contributor
    • Thoughts of a nerd
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2010, 07:32:30 pm »
... if you buy parts for "historical reasons"
... if you collect multimeters (who could that be  ;) )
... if you wake up a few hours too late because there was a error in your self-built alarm clock
... if you wake up a few hours too late and the only reason you woke up was the self-built power supply of your self-buit alarm clock exploding... (I had this one. Seriously.)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 08:15:02 pm »
well what about buying house deliberately with one more bedroom that you would need for the forseable future just to turn the whole bedroom into a lab ?.

investigating the electronics that your company buys and telling them whats wrong with it.

doing pcb design during your lunch hour and making sure that your "electronics files" are alwayswith you and that the nearest pc has your PCB software installed. of course carrying you laptop EVERYWHERE no solves that once and for all so you could even work on a pcb whilst on "holiday"

Offline williefleete

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 11:25:19 pm »
you can use every last byte in a PICAXE for something (eg some of my projects)
you can optimise said code in your sleep and wake up at 2 am to update said code and try the firmware
you can drive 64 LEDs using no more than four output pins and less than 256 bytes of picaxe code
you can fit a 32 character "rom" on above for a 7 segment display character set and bell character

Offline marianoapp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 03:50:35 am »
well what about buying house deliberately with one more bedroom that you would need for the forseable future just to turn the whole bedroom into a lab ?.

haha I'm looking for a house with two bedrooms for that exact same reason

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 05:28:05 am »

haha I'm looking for a house with two bedrooms for that exact same reason

I'm about to vacate my 2 bedroom house and one of the jobs I have to do before leaving is to restore the second bedroom from a computer/electronics workshop back to a bedroom. There's a full length bench along one wall that has to come out. Fill all the holes in the wall, repaint.

And then do it all in reverse in my new home!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf