Author Topic: Unnecessary “LOOK AT ME” tv show titles  (Read 4154 times)

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
Unnecessary “LOOK AT ME” tv show titles
« on: October 06, 2022, 01:48:06 am »
I’m watching a BBC series which is excellent, called “We are England”, all about the wide variety of aspects of British life. Really good.

What I can’t abide, though, is why the production team felt the need TO HAVE GIANT, BOLD TEXT PLASTERED ACROSS THE CENTRE OF THE SCREEN (centre X and Y axis) - some of it is then considerably smaller, but they make the titles “dance” - and by this I mean the sentences  spelling themselves out in time with the incidental music… WHY?!?!?!? We don’t know or want to know how “clever” the editor thought he was, or how chuffed he is with THIS FLIPPING GIANT, almost full screen typeface!

The other night on one episode, they even told us that sheet steel is… <gasp>… METAL.
Yep, the titles read “… made of stamped sheet steel metal” 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 01:51:11 am by eti »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Unnecessary “LOOK AT ME” tv show titles
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 02:05:51 am »
BECAUSE YOU ARE ENGLAND!

:)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 02:11:04 am »
And this has what to do with engineering or technology?

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, tooki, cgroen, alexnoot

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 02:46:03 am »
BECAUSE YOU ARE ENGLAND!

:)

😂🤣 ya got that right!

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 02:47:14 am »

TV: Technology
Editing: Technology
Typefaces: Technology
The TV show itself: about factories, using ... technology.

What does the thread "post a picture of a cat" have to do with technology? Less than absolutely nothing. There are others too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 02:49:04 am by eti »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 02:58:46 am »

What does the thread "post a picture of a cat" have to do with technology? Less than absolutely nothing. There are others too.

Except that you have an extensive track record of starting offtopic threads. And now you are just coming up with a "technology" angle to start them.
Please just stop it.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 03:16:22 am »

Shots fired.

The irony of Look At Me in a thread title.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: tooki, cgroen

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 03:29:45 am »
I find that gradient at the bottom more annoying especially if I am trying to seek to look at something.

If that is Iplayer I just remembered I found the elements last year to hide the gradient when I reported it to the BBC that it looked a lot better without it.

Player element name: smphtml5iframemediaPlayer
Adblock:
##.p_gradientLayer
##.p_gradientBottomfiller

I think it was just some footage from a news site with Iplayer embedded in it and as I found I coudn't see much when the controls appear with that overlay which seemed much worse than other players where it goes way past the controls covering about half of the video.
Fortunately I found it could be hidden but I am not sure if that is the same player.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 04:57:31 am by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 05:39:25 am »
I find that gradient at the bottom more annoying especially if I am trying to seek to look at something.

If that is Iplayer I just remembered I found the elements last year to hide the gradient when I reported it to the BBC that it looked a lot better without it.

Player element name: smphtml5iframemediaPlayer
Adblock:
##.p_gradientLayer
##.p_gradientBottomfiller

I think it was just some footage from a news site with Iplayer embedded in it and as I found I coudn't see much when the controls appear with that overlay which seemed much worse than other players where it goes way past the controls covering about half of the video.
Fortunately I found it could be hidden but I am not sure if that is the same player.

That is the play/pause popup overlay causing the gradient, not visible when playing :)

Don't understand all the fuss in the thread - this IS TECHNOLOGY.

"General Technical Chat" - this IS generally technical - HELLO?

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 05:41:04 am »

Except that you have an extensive track record of starting offtopic threads. And now you are just coming up with a "technology" angle to start them.
Please just stop it.

This IS technology. I understand, but it is still technology. "Track record" aside, if you want to treat people equally, regardless of my "track record", then a thread involving technical stuff (which this is) is still just that, regardless of who I am. I've seen FAR LESS technical threads left to continue.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:43:37 am by eti »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 05:57:52 pm »
I've seen FAR LESS technical threads left to continue.

Those threads haven't existed solely for their OP to demostrate how angry and superior they can be about trivial stuff. As such, they have some value to other people too.

regardless of my "track record"

Your track record shows you either rant aggressively using baiting adjectives, or you need some help with something. Apparently you don't need help in this thread so we know it's purpose.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Gyro, newbrain, cgroen, MK14, james_s, pcprogrammer

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 06:12:20 pm »

Typefaces are an art form. Editing is a skill or task. TVs are technology, but nothing here is about TVs, you’re whining about stuff that appears on them.

And note that the subforum’s title isn’t “general technology chat”, it’s “general technical chat”, which to me means it’s for “technical discussions about things”, which is not synonymous with “general discussions about technology”.

So cut the crap, dude. You know damned well that you aren’t even discussing technology (never mind in a technical way), you’re bitching about a TV show’s design choices.

Frankly, I’m surprised you haven’t been banned yet. You’ve been granted more leeway and gotten more warnings than many other troublemakers here have.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, cgroen, MK14

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 06:46:39 pm »
I have no problem with people discussing off topic tangents on threads, I'm guilty of that myself. What I do take issue with is creating off topic threads for no other purpose than to complain about things that are off topic. Really it's incessant negativity that I have a problem with. "Post a picture of a cat" is off topic but at least pleasant and not confrontational, "xyz sucks and these people are idiots!" is neither on topic nor pleasant.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, hexreader, tooki, newbrain, cgroen, MK14, Ranayna

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 06:47:19 pm »

Please just stop it.

This IS technology. I understand, but it is still technology. "Track record" aside, if you want to treat people equally, regardless of my "track record", then a thread involving technical stuff (which this is) is still just that, regardless of who I am. I've seen FAR LESS technical threads left to continue.

I like the way you are arguing with the forum's owner, and with ill-conceived arguments to boot. Keep it up, since that will (eventually) make the forum a better place!

Don't, whatever you do, look at how many people thanked EEVBlog's post. Nor look at how many people are telling you that you are wrong. Nor improve your understanding and usage of the English language, allegedly your native language.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, tooki, cgroen, MK14

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 06:49:11 pm »
I have no problem with people discussing off topic tangents on threads, I'm guilty of that myself. What I do take issue with is creating off topic threads for no other purpose than to complain about things that are off topic. Really it's incessant negativity that I have a problem with.

Yup; ditto.

"Post a picture of a cat" is off topic but at least pleasant and not confrontational, "xyz sucks and these people are idiots!" is neither on topic nor pleasant.

Possibly for dogs, but not for dog lovers  >:D , and agreed.

Mind you, there are some portraits of people that I've been tempted to post in the cat/dog threads  ::)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:51:43 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 06:51:15 pm »
"Post a picture of a cat" is off topic but at least pleasant and not confrontational, "xyz sucks and these people are idiots!" is neither on topic nor pleasant.

Well what about for people like me who love dogs and cats? :)  :popcorn:  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 06:53:51 pm »

I'm not particularly interested in dogs but a "post a picture of a dog" thread wouldn't bother me. Especially during the height of the pandemic when many of us were trapped at home with a lack of human interaction I could see where it made sense to bend the rules a bit to help us all stay sane. Now that things are getting back to normal and we have lots of options for more conventional social interaction I think it makes sense to push a little harder to keep things on topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 06:56:02 pm »

Well what about for people like me who love dogs and cats? :)  :popcorn:  :scared:

Response 1: I don't dislike cats[1] but don't see how people can like them for more than their mousing abilities (and my daughter's dog puts most cats to shame in that respect!)

Response 2: can't be expected to write explicit caveats for all the wierdos out there :)

[1] except when they are purring on my lap and also sinking their claws into my thighs, or vomiting birds up next to me on the sofa.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 07:01:33 pm »
Response 1: I don't dislike cats[1] but don't see how people can like them for more than their mousing abilities (and my daughter's dog puts most cats to shame in that respect!)
[1] except when they are purring on my lap and also sinking their claws into my thighs, or vomiting birds up next to me on the sofa.
Hahahaha been there, done that…

Response 2: can't be expected to write explicit caveats for all the wierdos out there :)
HEY! I resemble that remark! :P

(In all honesty, though I thoroughly enjoy both species, I like dogs a bit more. But I have considered getting a cat, because I want a pet, but I’m not in a situation right now where I could give a dog the attention it needs.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:03:07 pm by tooki »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2022, 07:02:22 pm »

I'm not particularly interested in dogs but a "post a picture of a dog" thread wouldn't bother me. Especially during the height of the pandemic when many of us were trapped at home with a lack of human interaction I could see where it made sense to bend the rules a bit to help us all stay sane. Now that things are getting back to normal and we have lots of options for more conventional social interaction I think it makes sense to push a little harder to keep things on topic.

Neither the cat nor dog threads either irritated or pleased me. I simply ignored them.

I presume there were no pathetic attempts to make the cat/dog threads "appropriate/relevant" to this forum.

One irritation I do have is that I sometimes look at a thread's title without looking at who is the OP. There are a small number of posters who can be relied on to start silly and ill-conceived threads. We all know who they are, and having some gentle fun at their expense isn't a bad response.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, james_s

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 07:11:14 pm »
.. tv show ..

There's your problem, right there.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2022, 07:12:15 pm »
HEY! I resemble that remark! :P

You might say that; I could not possibly comment :)

(In all honesty, though I thoroughly enjoy both species, I like dogs a bit more. But I have considered getting a cat, because I want a pet, but I’m not in a situation right now where I could give a dog the attention it needs.)

Yes :( That's been my problem too. Now I'm retired many rescue centres think I'm too old to take a dog.

Fortunately daughter acquired a dog by default[1], and now I get to see that regularly. Fascinating creature, sharp as a tack. She reckons it is a grandparent relationship.

[1]
Girl in shared flat got dog.
Six(!) weeks later girl left flat and left dog. (And they say men have commitment problems!)
Other denizen looked after dog as best he could.
A month later daughter arrived in flat with her hamster, and helped with the dog.
Denizen went to San Diego to get married, and fortunately left dog behind.
Happy relationship ensued, to both their advantage.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2022, 07:18:47 pm »

Mine spend most of their time curled up on my lap or next to me on the sofa or bed. They provide companionship and affection, and I don't have to wonder what they really think or if they have ulterior motives. I think cats brains are wired much like the autistic mind, I feel like I relate to cats more so than I do with many humans. My observation has been that most people who don't like cats have never taken the time to get to know one. Cats are generally speaking introverts and don't warm up to new people right away, it takes a while before they will trust and open up to someone. Some cats are just jerks though, just like people they are individuals, no two cats are quite alike.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tooki, newbrain, schmitt trigger

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2022, 08:07:10 pm »
Yes :( That's been my problem too. Now I'm retired many rescue centres think I'm too old to take a dog.
Seriously?!?

In the semirural north Florida town where my grandma lived out her final years (like so many retirees from the east coast and Midwest), her veterinarian had a rather charming arrangement: rehoming the pets of deceased elderly folks with other elderly folks. I mean, it sucks that it’s necessary, but sometimes it happens, and that way, widowed pets got to live out their days in a loving home instead of a shelter. Worked out great, too, for when an elderly person knew they wouldn’t outlive a puppy or kitten.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2022, 08:32:11 pm »
Thread death on: October 6th 2022 at 0407 hours and 10 seconds.

Cause of death: Excessive off topic pet rambling
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf