Author Topic: Unnecessary “LOOK AT ME” tv show titles  (Read 4172 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Unnecessary “LOOK AT ME” tv show titles
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2022, 08:57:15 pm »
Thread death on: October 6th 2022 at 0407 hours and 10 seconds.

Cause of death: Excessive off topic pet rambling

The thread was off topic rambling from the very start, at least pets are positive.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2022, 09:51:05 pm »
Thread death on: October 6th 2022 at 0407 hours and 10 seconds.

Cause of death: Excessive off topic pet rambling

The thread was off topic rambling from the very start, at least pets are positive.

I still detect an error: this is LESS "off-topic" than cats!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2022, 10:15:37 pm »

You really think anyone but you cares?
Best Regards, Chris

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2022, 10:23:08 pm »
And this has what to do with engineering or technology?

TV: Technology
Editing: Technology
Typefaces: Technology
The TV show itself: about factories, using ... technology.

What does the thread "post a picture of a cat" have to do with technology? Less than absolutely nothing. There are others too.

Except that you have an extensive track record of starting offtopic threads. And now you are just coming up with a "technology" angle to start them.
Please just stop it.

This IS technology. I understand, but it is still technology. "Track record" aside, if you want to treat people equally, regardless of my "track record", then a thread involving technical stuff (which this is) is still just that, regardless of who I am. I've seen FAR LESS technical threads left to continue.

No, you are one of the biggest if not the biggest off-topic starters on this forum and we have given you much slack over the years. Just stop it.
It is clear that you enjoy pushing the boundry again and again for whatever reason it is. You seem to like to antagonise by pushing the limit of what you can get away with with new threads.
Don't make me create a seperate user category without the permission to start new threads, because you might find yourself as the first entry.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, Bud, tggzzz, Cyberdragon, tooki, newbrain, cgroen, MK14, james_s, schmitt trigger, pcprogrammer

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2022, 10:33:20 pm »
But they do make a special (technology related) label:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:34:55 pm by AndyBeez »

The following users thanked this post: Reddwarf3r

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2022, 10:41:18 pm »

I didn't start the cats topic, nor would I have started it, but I'd rather see a cats topic, or a dogs topic, or a plants topic, or any number of other non-technical topics that are positive than yet another bitter rant. Nobody likes constant negativity, it's something I have struggled with a bit myself at times and I get it, it brings people down. Some people are just so full of negative energy and contempt that it sucks the life out of a room.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, MK14, pcprogrammer

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2022, 10:54:57 pm »

I didn't start the cats topic, nor would I have started it, but I'd rather see a cats topic, or a dogs topic, or a plants topic, or any number of other non-technical topics that are positive than yet another bitter rant. Nobody likes constant negativity, it's something I have struggled with a bit myself at times and I get it, it brings people down. Some people are just so full of negative energy and contempt that it sucks the life out of a room.

i will agree and disagree.

Sometimes rants are useful, but only where there is a solid justification  for the rant. Thus ranting against C++ can be justified, e.g. C++ is so grotesquely complex that the committee that misdesigned C++ refused to believe there are valid C++ programs that can never finish compiling, until Erwin Unruh rubbed their noses in it.

OTOH rants about personal preferences reveal more about the ranter than about the subject.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2022, 11:04:33 pm »

Sometimes rants are useful, but only where there is a solid justification  for the rant. Thus ranting against C++ can be justified, e.g. C++ is so grotesquely complex that the committee that misdesigned C++ refused to believe there are valid C++ programs that can never finish compiling, until Erwin Unruh rubbed their noses in it.

OTOH rants about personal preferences reveal more about the ranter than about the subject.

Rants have their place. If it's a technical rant, for example Eagle getting ruined by Autodesk, IoT hardware depending on cloud crap that gets shut down, corporate culture in tech/engineering jobs or anything like that, I think that's perfectly acceptable here. Ranting about some cosmetic issue on a TV show that has nothing to do with technology or engineering is not. That just seems like an excuse to vent and sling anger and vitriol around. It serves no purpose and contributes nothing of value to the community.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2022, 11:39:31 pm »
I was trying to look for something but can't find it now. It was this documentary I saw many years ago posted in some thread here about a man who had a lot of equipment in this building that he used to insert text, signs and scrollers over video recordings that producers paid him to do in the early days of television. Maybe that might be appropriate for this thread if I could find it.

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2022, 01:25:17 am »
I hardly think I was bringing “vitriol” into the subject. 😁 it’s a casual observation about giant text and editing styles. People constantly mentioning negativity and casually using “vitriol” when there was none, speaks a little more of those people; psychologists call it “projection”.

I’m very direct and blunt. That gets confused for “anger” or “vitriol”. Nope. It’s having a (sometimes too much) passionate, possible exaggerated way of expressing likes or dislikes. I’m not a hateful person … I hope. In fact anyone in REAL life can tell you I’m cheerful and so laid back as to be horizontal 🤣 - since the “wonders” of the internet STILL seem to have not been able to crack the lack of tone of voice in textual media, which we all know causes all manner of disagreements based on consistent lack of tonal expression, one can only say that you’ve got me wrong, no matter what you’ve surmised from the very basic assumptions you’ve made of both me and most others online, the majorly l of whom you’re never going to be able to know, or imagine “Ah yeah I know them, I can imagine how they’re speaking”.

I’m no one’s stereotype, nor are any of us, but having ASD factors into how I express myself, and since the severe lack in textual media cannot express nuances of conversation, I’m just left with the point I’m making, so I get right to it. Sorry if you perceive it wrongly, that’s never my intention to annoy.

It’s SO EASY and convenient to forget these things. None of us are perfect. I’ve seen some ACTIVELY ***VERY*** rude, arrogant and aggressive people here (there seems to be a disproportionate percentage of that type of person on here) but I generally just try and walk away, As I’m not going to lose my peace,  for them (why would I do that, let a stranger spoil my day? Hah!) And besides, how do I know what’s happening in their life? Anyone can blame people, that’s the lazy man’s way out.

Yeah I can be blunt. I don’t apologise for who I am, but I apologise if you’ve misunderstood my motives.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:31:33 am by eti »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2022, 01:33:02 am »
Well text doesn't translate tone very well, so I would suggest taking a moment to consider how something you write is going to be perceived by those at the other end who can't see or hear you. When I read posts like that I picture an angry bitter old man fuming and shaking his fist ranting and raving about kids these days and how the world has gone to hell in a handbasket and get off my lawn. That may not be the tone that is intended but that is how it comes across.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain, schmitt trigger

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2022, 03:02:19 am »
Rants have their place. If it's a technical rant, for example Eagle getting ruined by Autodesk, IoT hardware depending on cloud crap that gets shut down, corporate culture in tech/engineering jobs or anything like that, I think that's perfectly acceptable here. Ranting about some cosmetic issue on a TV show that has nothing to do with technology or engineering is not. That just seems like an excuse to vent and sling anger and vitriol around. It serves no purpose and contributes nothing of value to the community.

If it's just a one-off then that's fine, no big deal, but when someone has a huge track record of starting new off-topic threads then that's when it becomes troublesome. At some point we can't let it slide any more.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, tooki, MK14

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2022, 03:05:54 am »
Yeah I can be blunt. I don’t apologise for who I am, but I apologise if you’ve misunderstood my motives.

I think your motives are irrelevant, can you please just stop starting new topics that are either off-topic, or borderline off-topic. I do have the means to disable your ability to start new threads, don't make me  have to resort to that.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, tooki, MK14

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2022, 06:16:04 am »

I think your motives are irrelevant, can you please just stop starting new topics that are either off-topic, or borderline off-topic. I do have the means to disable your ability to start new threads, don't make me  have to resort to that.

Okay. I’ll have to check and double check before knee jerk posting. Sorry to have caused grief. Take care.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2022, 07:42:43 am »

We seem to be in vitriolic agreement :0
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2022, 07:49:55 am »

Okay. I’ll have to check and double check before knee jerk posting. Sorry to have caused grief. Take care.

That would be good practice to both first posts and to replies.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2022, 10:18:14 am »
That would be good practice to both first posts and to replies.

It is.
Whenever i want to post something controversial, i generally write the post or topic. But if i am not utterly confident that i really should post it, i copy it into a text file (or keep it sitting in the editor for forums that can save posts without posting them) and sleep a night over it.
Most of the time i either forget about it or deliberately delete my rant, and will never post it. :D

The following users thanked this post: tooki, MK14, MrMobodies

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2022, 03:59:54 pm »
Not only does the OP continually start off-topic threads, they're always just moaning about something or other being shit.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2022, 04:20:18 pm »
When I read posts like that I picture an angry bitter old man fuming and shaking his fist ranting and raving about kids these days and how the world has gone to hell in a handbasket and get off my lawn. That may not be the tone that is intended but that is how it comes across.
This is the picture that comes up in my head when I read his rants:

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2022, 06:16:30 pm »
I suspect that the forum really doesn't have the ability to prevent users from spamming the sub boards. I suspect our friend has figured that out.

My $0.02
iratus parum formica

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2022, 07:14:24 pm »
Yep,

just check out the latest one. Good for a laugh or two.  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf