General > General Technical Chat

Urgent request for US West Coast shipping contacts

<< < (6/8) > >>

tautech:
 :-DD
Exactly as predicted a few weeks ago !
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3738361/#msg3738361

Great score.  :-+

THz, I'll give my freight forwarder a call tomorrow as he has contacts worldwide.

Brumby:
^ ^ ^ I'm getting a good vibe from this offer....

Fingers crossed and thumbs pressed.

jonpaul:
 TerraHertz just joining this interesting thread. BRAVO for your passion and efforts!

I  have assisted a few silent key estates with similar manuals collections.

A few moments for some notes please:

I am sure you have already heard this but I can confirm:

I  can appreciate your intense interest to preserve and acquire these historic manuals, I have a fine collection of TEK, HP, Boonton, Fluke, Wavetek, and the printed manuals are FAR better than the PDFs.

1/ Sea Freight containers are handled roughly via cranes and are never dry inside, despite silica gel, everything to be protected from months of 90% hum needs to be completely sealed.

2/ Stacking the manuals to fit the container height will result in broken bindings etc due to weight and vibrations.

3/ Costs would normally be ~ $3-8K $ but nowadays expect perhaps 10-30K $ US.

4/ Freight forwarders are well booked up months in advance, and will not be capable to carefully pack everything.

Doing all this in a few days and from the other side of the world seems impractical.

I would suggest an alternate method: Try to get a few added months of storage in the existing site.

You fly to SFO, rent a truck and hotel nearby the site, take  a few weeks organizing and doing it exactly as you want, you can easily hire local laborers to assit.

BON CHANCE!

Jon

tautech:

--- Quote from: tautech on October 28, 2021, 09:02:57 am --- :-DD
Exactly as predicted a few weeks ago !
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3738361/#msg3738361

Great score.  :-+

THz, I'll give my freight forwarder a call tomorrow as he has contacts worldwide.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Brumby on October 28, 2021, 09:20:11 am ---^ ^ ^ I'm getting a good vibe from this offer....

Fingers crossed and thumbs pressed.

--- End quote ---
He's an old school buddy and been in the freight business for 40 years so knows a thing or two about such dealings and absolutely nothing surprises him.
Does all our sea and airfreight and Customs clearance as well which is just basic bread and butter to someone of his experience. I used to do some moonlighting for him shifting international band equipment between airports and gigs in some pretty big rigs as he didn't have an HT license.
As a west Auckland petrol head he's sponsored some NZ racers to the Bonneville salt flats and at times before Covid he seemed to always be in the US so knows his way around over there too.
Popped him mail already so we'll see what he comes back with in the morning.

rsjsouza:
I wish good luck in your ventures, THz! Great library of documentation.

Since time is of the essence (and money seems to not be as tight), you can try to talk to the freight forwarder and explore the possibility of using different ports in Washington or Oregon or even route the cargo through land down to the ports in the south (Florida, Louisianna, Texas) as they are not as backed up as the ones in California.

Also, as jonpaul mentioned, the packing of individual components will be important - when the movers took the entire contents of my house across the Caribbean sea, a great deal of effort was spent to compartmentalize the cargo to properly distribute weight, taking a much larger space on the container than the actual contents. Also, a great deal of effort was spent trying to maintain the contents free of the influence of the elements during transportation (silica gel, sealed packing, etc.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version