Author Topic: US Road Trip + Eclipse - Ideas wanted for electronics tour  (Read 176 times)

Offline tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
US Road Trip + Eclipse - Ideas wanted for electronics tour
« on: March 28, 2024, 06:32:38 pm »
As some will know, there is a total solar eclipse crossing the US on April 8th, 2024.  This will be the last chance to see a total solar eclipse in the continential USA for about 20 years.

I will be doing a road trip from Los Angeles towards a friend in Arkansas to see the eclipse among other things;  then onwards to Houston flying home two weeks later, all in a Tesla Model Y (maybe I'm crazy, we'll see how much I go crazy at superchargers...)  I'm hoping it's not going to be cloudy on the day!

The trip is something I've wanted to do for some time, I don't often fly long haul (last was over 6 years ago) and I'm looking to catch as many sights as possible.

I'll be stopping in Vegas for one night, seeing the Grand Canyon (south side) and driving through the Rockies, stopping in Denver for one night, and then New Orleans and Houston after the eclipse with about two days in each. Our return journey will involve a long layover in NYC too.

Is there anything I should see electronics- or engineering-wise in these areas?  I'm definitely seeing the NASA museum in Houston, and likely will see the hackspace in Denver.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: US Road Trip + Eclipse - Ideas wanted for electronics tour
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 07:36:31 pm »
If you're into vintage computers, the System Source Computer Museum in Hunt Valley, Maryland (about a half hour north of Baltimore City) is outstanding. Aside from being a colossal collection, a lot of the systems are operational and can be used by visitors! Tours are free and worth it.

https://museum.syssrc.com/

If you do go, the blue and white Power Mac G3 on display used to be mine. :) (When I was packing to move from Maryland to Switzerland, I had to let go of my old Mac collection, and the owner of System Source saw my craigslist ad and took it all!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf