Author Topic: USB-C hub -- help needed  (Read 1482 times)

Offline blueskullTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
  • BA7LKP
USB-C hub -- help needed
« on: July 03, 2018, 05:55:02 am »
Does anyone here knows where to get a type C hub?
I'm NOT talking about type C to multiple type A, I'm talking type C to type C, with active MUX for alternate modes.

My intended case:

Laptop-->Hub-->Monitor (DP alt mode over type C)
                    -->Charger (CC USBPD over type C)
                    -->USB 3.0 type A ports

I'm pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist, but just in case, before I spend 50 hours+$1000 on reinventing the wheels.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: USB-C hub -- help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:14:21 am »
you sound like you want a usb c dock?
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 06:58:01 am »
you sound like you want a usb c dock?

No. A USB-C dock converts USB-C to DP and other USB ports. I want a USB-C hub that splits USB-C into USB-C ports, with at least downstream port supporting USB-C alternate mode.

This is an extremely niche application, and not many people use a 12" Macbook and expect productivity from it.

I’m in the same situation, 12” Macbook that I use when travelling. I’m not aware of any USB C hubs I’m afraid. While I love the screen dimensions, form factor and weight, it was not the sharpest idea to release it with a single port, which typically is used for charging. As a result I have accumulated a collection of various dongles, as I am sure you have. Some work better than others. Power delivery compatibility is a crap shoot. Some dongle docks provide better USB A current delivery than others. All seem a compromise. I was surprised to learn after purchase that the port isn’t even Thunderbolt.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 07:07:36 am »
I've never seen such a thing - which is a little odd actually. At the moment it would be a challenge to only use only USB-C with a bunch of devices, especially with a laptop.
I have a Thunderbolt 3 dock for my Lenovo Yoga X1, it has lots of USB3, audio, DP, HDMI, VGA etc and a single USB-C/TB port you can use when it is connected. Lenovo wasn't quite as silly though and included two USB-C/TB ports on the laptop.

I guess when it is created it will need to be a smart devices to handle the power supply voltages - certainly wouldn't want to use some cheapie no/name one would you!
VE7FM

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 08:00:34 pm »
Does anyone here knows where to get a type C hub?
I'm NOT talking about type C to multiple type A, I'm talking type C to type C, with active MUX for alternate modes.

I haven't seen one and would really like one.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »
some TB breakout docks have USB-PD ports, but I guess I've never seen an actual usb c hub.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:16:34 pm »
Maybe I'm not up to date, but how would you get DP alt mode and USB SS over one cable?  There are only 4 high speed pairs in a USB-C cable, which DP would use all of them.

The following users thanked this post: a59d1

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »
Up to about 4k30p, it supports USB 3.1 and DP simultaneously, I assume 2 lanes only are used for DP and the four lane stream is muxed. Over 4k30p, you’re right, the USB part only supports high speed over the “legacy” lanes.

Edit: see http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DP-Alt-Mode-Overview-for-VESA-v1.pdf
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:30:20 pm by Howardlong »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf